Re: [News] Californian School Buys 1000 Linux Laptops - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Californian School Buys 1000 Linux Laptops - Linux ; "Mark Kent" wrote in message news:i88025-iit.ln1@ellandroad.demon.co.uk... > Roy Schestowitz espoused: >> Kid-size computers >> >> ,----[ Quote ] >>| Fresno Unified officials buy 1,000 wireless laptops that will fit on >>| students' desktops. >> `---- >> >> http://www.fresnobee.com/263/v-print...ry/187043.html >> > ...

  1. Re: [News] Californian School Buys 1000 Linux Laptops

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Kid-size computers
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Fresno Unified officials buy 1,000 wireless laptops that will fit on
    >>| students' desktops.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.fresnobee.com/263/v-print...ry/187043.html
    >>

    > Reduced footprint, reduced power consumption, increased portability.
    > The next generation of net terminals are portable, and bridge the gap
    > between the mobile phone and the computer.
    >
    > The world is no longer remotely interested in high power-consumption,
    > resource-hungry upgrade-treadmill-lock-in machinery.
    >

    > At this point, I'd also like to predict the death of the corporate
    > intranet.

    -- "At this point, I'd also like to predict the death of the corporate
    intranet."

    Oh look - yet another idiotic prediction.

  2. Re: [News] Californian School Buys 1000 Linux Laptops

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Keith Windsor

    wrote
    on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:12:46 -0500
    <474db1e0$0$26284$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

    > "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Kid-size computers
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.fresnobee.com/263/v-print...ry/187043.html
    >>>

    >> Reduced footprint, reduced power consumption, increased portability.
    >> The next generation of net terminals are portable, and bridge the gap
    >> between the mobile phone and the computer.
    >>
    >> The world is no longer remotely interested in high power-consumption,
    >> resource-hungry upgrade-treadmill-lock-in machinery.
    >>

    >> At this point, I'd also like to predict the death of the corporate
    >> intranet.

    > -- "At this point, I'd also like to predict the death of the corporate
    > intranet."
    >
    > Oh look - yet another idiotic prediction.

    I'm still waiting for the paperless office. :-P :-) (That, and
    the death of Usenet.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- insert random doomsday here
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).

  3. Re: [News] Californian School Buys 1000 Linux Laptops

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 28 November 2007 20:27 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Keith Windsor
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:12:46 -0500
    > <474db1e0$0$26284$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
    >>
    >> "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> Reduced footprint, reduced power consumption, increased portability.
    >>> The next generation of net terminals are portable, and bridge the gap
    >>> between the mobile phone and the computer.
    >>>
    >>> The world is no longer remotely interested in high power-consumption,
    >>> resource-hungry upgrade-treadmill-lock-in machinery.
    >>>

    >>> At this point, I'd also like to predict the death of the corporate
    >>> intranet.

    >> -- "At this point, I'd also like to predict the death of the corporate
    >> intranet."
    >>
    >> Oh look - yet another idiotic prediction.
    >>

    > I'm still waiting for the paperless office. :-P :-) (That, and
    > the death of Usenet.)

    Usenet seems to be dying in the sense that people perceive it as "Google
    Groups". Paperless office? Over here. For 4 years so far... :-)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    An aristocrat's sexual escapades equate to Technocrat's hot RSS feed
    run-level 2 2007-10-30 19:49 last=

  4. Re: [News] Californian School Buys 1000 Linux Laptops

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:27:15 -0800, The Ghost In The Machine
    >I'm still waiting for the paperless office. :-P :-) (That, and
    >the death of Usenet.)

    Along with paperless banking (ie:no checks).
    That one is getting close however.

    BTW look for these Linux laptops to appear on eBay shortly after the
    experiment fails.

  5. Re: [News] Californian School Buys 1000 Linux Laptops

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:46:10 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    >Usenet seems to be dying in the sense that people perceive it as "Google
    >Groups". Paperless office? Over here. For 4 years so far... :-)

    Most people have never heard of USENET.

  6. Re: [News] Californian School Buys 1000 Linux Laptops

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, flatfish

    wrote
    on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:23:45 -0500
    :
    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:27:15 -0800, The Ghost In The Machine
    >>I'm still waiting for the paperless office. :-P :-) (That, and
    >>the death of Usenet.)

    > Along with paperless banking (ie:no checks).
    > That one is getting close however.
    >
    > BTW look for these Linux laptops to appear on eBay shortly after the
    > experiment fails.

    s/ebay/landfill/

    (although ideally they'd be recycled, or maybe retrofitted
    with Intel chips and sold as cheap Windows Vista Basic
    Edition laptops -- since everyone so obviously wants
    Windows Vista, right? :-P )

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because it's not the desktop that's
    important, it's the ability to DO something
    with it.

  7. Re: [News] Californian School Buys 1000 Linux Laptops

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:51:24 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:46:10 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Usenet seems to be dying in the sense that people perceive it as "Google
    >>Groups". Paperless office? Over here. For 4 years so far... :-)

    > Most people have never heard of USENET.

    Half the people on Usenet have never heard of Usenet. :-(

  8. Re: [News] Californian School Buys 1000 Linux Laptops

    flatfish wrote:

    > Most people have never heard of USENET.

    Where's the proof?

  9. Re: [News] Californian School Buys 1000 Linux Laptops

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 04:14:49 -0800, Where's the proof? wrote:

    > flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> Most people have never heard of USENET.

    > Where's the proof?

    Just lurk around the non-technical groups and watch how many people without
    a clue say things like, "why doesn't the administrator of this site ban
    trolls?"

+ Reply to Thread