CS20 help - Linux

This is a discussion on CS20 help - Linux ; I received an API CS20 yesterday that I bought second-hand. It had a bad power supply (red LED in standby mode and would not power up). I replaced the power supply with a spare I had and it powered up, ...

  1. CS20 help

    I received an API CS20 yesterday that I bought second-hand. It had a
    bad power supply (red LED in standby mode and would not power up). I
    replaced the power supply with a spare I had and it powered up, and
    LEDs are now green. Unfortunately, I am not getting output from
    either serial port (I expect to see "2048 Meg of system memory,
    Initializing GCT/FRU", etc etc).

    I have tried the recovery options documented in the user manual by
    setting jumpers on the J2 jumper block (restore factory default
    environment settings, upgrade/recover firmware, and failsafe reflash
    from CD-ROM). None of these jumper settings appeared to do anything,
    and I never saw any kind of output on my serial console.

    I also swapped all RAM from a healthy CS20 I already had - the healthy
    CS20 still boots fine, and no change on the "new" machine. There is
    also no change if I power on the machine with no system RAM at all.
    Nothing I've tried so far has produced a visible change in the power-
    on sequence. At this point, I am not sure what is wrong and could use
    some advice.

    I am wondering if the flash memory containing the SRM has been
    damaged, perhaps when the original power supply died. Does this seem
    reasonable? I found the flash memory IC on the motherboard (an
    AM29F040B-120JC), and it seems I could order a replacement IC
    cheaply. Assuming this was the problem, I could then do a failsafe
    reflash from CD-ROM. But I am just guessing here.

    Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: CS20 help

    On Nov 28, 7:58 am, cpp wrote:
    > I have tried the recovery options documented in the user manual by
    > setting jumpers on the J2 jumper block (restore factory default
    > environment settings, upgrade/recover firmware, and failsafe reflash
    > from CD-ROM). None of these jumper settings appeared to do anything,
    > and I never saw any kind of output on my serial console.

    A belated reply to myself. I was able to get into the failsafe
    loader and restore SRM after I jumpered pins 15 and 16 in addition
    to pins 1,2 and 3,4 on J2. In my previous attempt, the jumper
    on pins 15 and 16 was missing.

+ Reply to Thread