Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows (ohthe pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!) - Linux

This is a discussion on Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows (ohthe pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!) - Linux ; In another thread ( http://tinyurl.com/2us2ep ) I got no real help on how to install Linux onto a SATA drive, though I idid learn some trivia about AMD chips. But when attempting to install Linux Mandriva (see the above thread) ...

  1. Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows (ohthe pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!)

    In another thread (http://tinyurl.com/2us2ep) I got no real help on
    how to install Linux onto a SATA drive, though I idid learn some
    trivia about AMD chips. But when attempting to install Linux Mandriva
    (see the above thread) I noticed that Mandriva only ran off the hard
    drive. It was akin to a demo rather than a real OS. It did look
    nice, I'll grant you that. For a minute, as a Microsoft shareholder,
    I was briefly worried that maybe there was something to this Linux
    movement after all. For a minute.

    Now can anybody please point me to a site or otherwise tell me how to
    go about installing Linux onto a machine that has Windows
    (specifically, Windows Vista) on its hard drive? Keep in mind due to
    the particularities of this system (see the above thread) I'm very
    leary of trying to install another OS unless I absolutely have to, and
    in fact I'll probably only install Linux if Vista activation yet again
    fails, but I'd like to research how to do so just in case.

    When I last tried (and succeeded) using Linux over 10 years ago, in
    fact I had it dual booted onto an NT machine, the "fun" of Linux was
    just getting it to install. I see that not much has changed in Linux
    land over the last 10 years, not unlike that scene from the first
    Crocodile Dundee movie where Paul Hogan turns on a TV many years after
    "I Love Lucy" stopped production, sees the same show in rerun
    syndication, and rightly concludes that not much has changed in TV
    programming.

    Same as it ever was. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

    RL

    "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" -- Yiddish
    proverb.

  2. Re: Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows(oh the pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!)

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > In another thread (http://tinyurl.com/2us2ep) I got no real help on
    > how to install Linux onto a SATA drive, though I idid learn some
    > trivia about AMD chips. But when attempting to install Linux Mandriva
    > (see the above thread) I noticed that Mandriva only ran off the hard
    > drive. It was akin to a demo rather than a real OS. It did look
    > nice, I'll grant you that. For a minute, as a Microsoft shareholder,
    > I was briefly worried that maybe there was something to this Linux
    > movement after all. For a minute.
    >
    > Now can anybody please point me to a site or otherwise tell me how to
    > go about installing Linux onto a machine that has Windows
    > (specifically, Windows Vista) on its hard drive? Keep in mind due to
    > the particularities of this system (see the above thread) I'm very
    > leary of trying to install another OS unless I absolutely have to, and
    > in fact I'll probably only install Linux if Vista activation yet again
    > fails, but I'd like to research how to do so just in case.
    >
    > When I last tried (and succeeded) using Linux over 10 years ago, in
    > fact I had it dual booted onto an NT machine, the "fun" of Linux was
    > just getting it to install. I see that not much has changed in Linux
    > land over the last 10 years, not unlike that scene from the first
    > Crocodile Dundee movie where Paul Hogan turns on a TV many years after
    > "I Love Lucy" stopped production, sees the same show in rerun
    > syndication, and rightly concludes that not much has changed in TV
    > programming.
    >
    > Same as it ever was. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
    >
    > RL
    >
    > "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" -- Yiddish
    > proverb.

    I gave you instructions. Please read them.

    Tony(UK)

  3. Re: Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows(ohthe pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!)

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 02:09:19 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > In another thread (http://tinyurl.com/2us2ep) I got no real help on how
    > to install Linux onto a SATA drive,

    I wonder why?

    Now tell me how to install
    Linux you dum basturd.

    I guess that, until you mend your manners and learn to spell, you'll just
    have to figure it out on your own.

  4. Re: Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows (oh the pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!)

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 02:09:19 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > In another thread (http://tinyurl.com/2us2ep) I got no real help on
    > how to install Linux onto a SATA drive, though I idid learn some
    > trivia about AMD chips. But when attempting to install Linux Mandriva
    > (see the above thread) I noticed that Mandriva only ran off the hard
    > drive. It was akin to a demo rather than a real OS. It did look
    > nice, I'll grant you that. For a minute, as a Microsoft shareholder,
    > I was briefly worried that maybe there was something to this Linux
    > movement after all. For a minute.
    >
    > Now can anybody please point me to a site or otherwise tell me how to
    > go about installing Linux onto a machine that has Windows

    INsert the disc containing Linux, reboot and follow the instuctions. IF
    you have a Live CD that is installable, there is usually a large,
    prominent icon saying INSTALL. Is that plain enough?

    If you have Windows on a separate drive you need have no fears of losing
    it. Most good distros will simply add it to the boot sequence.

    > (specifically, Windows Vista) on its hard drive? Keep in mind due to
    > the particularities of this system (see the above thread) I'm very
    > leary of trying to install another OS unless I absolutely have to, and
    > in fact I'll probably only install Linux if Vista activation yet again
    > fails, but I'd like to research how to do so just in case.

    Give me a good reason why anyone should bother to help you when you ignore
    everything useful said to you?

    > When I last tried (and succeeded) using Linux over 10 years ago, in
    > fact I had it dual booted onto an NT machine, the "fun" of Linux was
    > just getting it to install. I see that not much has changed in Linux

    You are *TOTALLY, UTTERLY* wrong. It has changed out of all recognition,
    and the parts that have changed *most* are installation and
    desktop-readiness. Stop being deliberately stupid. YOu have been told
    several times that you are totally wrong about Linux, yet you repeat the
    nonsense time and again, and still expect help.

    --
    Kier

  5. Re: Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows (oh the pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!)

    Kier wrote:

    > Stop being deliberately stupid.

    Stop feeding the troll.

  6. Re: Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows (oh the pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!)

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 02:09:19 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > In another thread (http://tinyurl.com/2us2ep) I got no real help on
    > how to install Linux onto a SATA drive, though I idid learn some
    > trivia about AMD chips. But when attempting to install Linux Mandriva
    > (see the above thread) I noticed that Mandriva only ran off the hard
    > drive. It was akin to a demo rather than a real OS. It did look
    > nice, I'll grant you that. For a minute, as a Microsoft shareholder,
    > I was briefly worried that maybe there was something to this Linux
    > movement after all. For a minute.
    >
    > Now can anybody please point me to a site or otherwise tell me how to
    > go about installing Linux onto a machine that has Windows
    > (specifically, Windows Vista) on its hard drive? Keep in mind due to
    > the particularities of this system (see the above thread) I'm very
    > leary of trying to install another OS unless I absolutely have to, and
    > in fact I'll probably only install Linux if Vista activation yet again
    > fails, but I'd like to research how to do so just in case.
    >
    > When I last tried (and succeeded) using Linux over 10 years ago, in
    > fact I had it dual booted onto an NT machine, the "fun" of Linux was
    > just getting it to install. I see that not much has changed in Linux
    > land over the last 10 years, not unlike that scene from the first
    > Crocodile Dundee movie where Paul Hogan turns on a TV many years after
    > "I Love Lucy" stopped production, sees the same show in rerun
    > syndication, and rightly concludes that not much has changed in TV
    > programming.
    >
    > Same as it ever was. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
    >
    > RL
    >
    > "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" -- Yiddish
    > proverb.

    It's basically a very complex proposition to install Linux on a system
    which already has MS installed. You must:

    1) verify in BIOS that you can boot from a CD or DVD
    2) boot from the Linux CD or DVD
    3) follow the onscreen instructions

    At the end you will have a dual boot system all set up and ready to go.

  7. Re: Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows(oh the pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!)

    On Nov 28, 1:57 pm, ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 02:09:19 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:
    > > In another thread (http://tinyurl.com/2us2ep) I got no real help on
    > > how to install Linux onto a SATA drive, though I idid learn some
    > > trivia about AMD chips.

    In that thread you explained that you had a pirated copy of Vista that
    wouldn't activate properly. Having established that you are a pirate,
    you really don't have a right to install Vista.

    On the other hand, you should be able to legally install Linux pretty
    easily.

    > > But when attempting to install Linux Mandriva
    > > (see the above thread) I noticed that Mandriva only ran off the hard
    > > drive.

    There are a number of different Linux Distributions. I haven't
    installed Mandriva lately, but I am familiar with SUSE (which I
    prefer), Fedora (more basic but effective), and Ubuntu (a recently
    emenging desktop version of Linux).

    Ideally, if you have the Windows installation media, you should
    probably install Windows first, but allocate a partition rather than
    the entire disk. If it is too late and you have allocated the entire
    hard drive, this is not a problem. You can still use either fips or
    parted to shrink the Windows/Vista partition and this will make space
    for the Linux partition. A commercial product called Partition Magic
    will given you even more reliable repartitioning and can pre-allocate
    the ext3 Linux partitions as well as the Swap partition. The SUSE and
    Ubuntu distributions will let you boot into a Linux powered installer
    that will automate the partitioning for you.

    If you like, you can just create a single "root" partition and a
    single "swap" partition. The advantage of a swap partition. Many
    more experienced Linux installers also create a dedicated "/home"
    partition, which allows them to keep personal data while switching
    between different Linux distributions.

    Once you have allocated the "free space" to Linux, you can install
    Linux into that partition. Linux will then offer you the option of
    installing GRUB, which will allow you to choose between Linux and
    Windows when you boot your hard drive. Normally, the installation
    software will also give you the option of setting your "default"
    operating system.

    > > It was akin to a demo rather than a real OS. It did look
    > > nice, I'll grant you that. For a minute, as a Microsoft shareholder,
    > > I was briefly worried that maybe there was something to this Linux
    > > movement after all. For a minute.

    There are serveral different Linux diistributions, and many have
    different offerings within the distirbution. For example, there are
    Mandriva, SUSE, and Ubuntu DVDs which include a huge selection of
    software. You can boot the DVD, install the "core" system which is
    pretty basic, mostly configured to work a bit like Windows with
    Office. Once the core system has been installed, the additional
    software can be installed. There are different GUI interfaces for
    installing these packages, but the GUI interface makes it very easy to
    go "shopping" for numerous applications.

    Other distributions are CD based installations. These include only
    the "base" systems and core graphics functions, but the application
    can be installed easily and the additional applications can be
    installed using an internet connection. If you have a high speed
    internet connection, this is often a practical alternative to
    downloading a DVD.

    DVDs can often be found at local bookstores, Borders, Barnes & Noble,
    and many other book stores have Magazine racks which carry several
    different distributions. Normally, these magazines sell for around
    $10-$15 per issue. Linux Format, Linux +, and several others out of
    the United Kingdom are easily find. In the book area, usually in the
    computer section, you can find books containing Linux CDs or Linux
    DVDs. Often these are older versions, but this isn't a problem since
    the automatic update process will provide you the upgrades in about an
    hour if you want them.

    If you can't get a physical CD-ROM, or DVD, you can download your own
    copy as an ISO image and use it to generate the CD using a freely
    downloaded Windows application. Commercial CD burning applications
    such as Nero and EZ-CD creator also have this capability. The CD
    burner provided with Windows XP does not have this capability.

    > > Now can anybody please point me to a site or otherwise tell me how to
    > > go about installing Linux onto a machine that has Windows
    > > (specifically, Windows Vista) on its hard drive?

    Another approach is to use a virtual machine. Assuming you have a
    LEGAL copy of Vista which has already been PROPERLY installed, this is
    the easiest way to "Test Drive" several different Linux distributions.

    You can download VMWare PLayer from http://vmware.com/download/player/

    You can then download a number of "appliance" versions of Linux.
    Try http://vmware.com/appliances/ for a catalog of appliances
    ranging from very simple browser and e-mail appliances,
    to very complex server environments.

    Look at the "most frequently downloaded",
    http://vmware.com/appliances/directory/1066

    > > Keep in mind due to
    > > the particularities of this system (see the above thread) I'm very
    > > leary of trying to install another OS unless I absolutely have to, and
    > > in fact I'll probably only install Linux if Vista activation yet again
    > > fails, but I'd like to research how to do so just in case.

    Another thing you might want to consider is taking out some
    "insurance". Using VMware converter, you can create a "virtual
    appliance" from your installed Windows system. This appliance can
    either be used with Windows or with Linux as the "core" operating
    system.

    http://vmware.com/download/converter/

    > > When I last tried (and succeeded) using Linux over 10 years ago, in
    > > fact I had it dual booted onto an NT machine, the "fun" of Linux was
    > > just getting it to install.

    Getting Linux to install is getting easier and easier. If you have a
    "Linux Ready" PC, it's often possible to install Linux on a PC
    preloaded with Windows XP in less than 30 minutes.

    The best way find out if your PC is "Linux Ready" is to obtain or
    create a bootable CD, often referred to as a "Live-CD" and attempt to
    boot from the CD-ROM. This will often let you know whether your
    hardware has elements that are "Linux Hostile". This is really
    important to know before attempting a Linux installation, since
    installation into Linux hostile hardware can often require complex
    secondary downloads, special drivers, and may even additional hardware
    such as additional WiFi cards,

    > > I see that not much has changed in Linux
    > > land over the last 10 years,

    Since all you did was "install" Linux 10 years ago, you wouldn't
    really know would you?

    There have been numerous improvements. 10 years ago, 1997, KDE was in
    it's infancy, GNOME was still rather primitive, the kernel wasn't as
    efficient, and most PCs were only 32 bit, most file system limited
    file sizes to 2 Gb per file. Office suites existed, but were more
    limited in their ability. There were applications, but the number of
    available applications have more than tripled, possibly even 10-fold
    compared to Linux distributions of the 1997 era. These days, it's not
    uncommon for fully featured Linux distributions to fill an entire
    DVD. 1997 Linux distributions with everything would often take less
    than 1 600 MByte CD-ROM.

    Today, Linux supports 64 bit multi-core processors, supports high
    resolution displays, high speed graphics cards, including OpenGL
    compatible graphics cards. Even Windows didn't have USB, now Linux
    supports USB, FireWire, SAS, and SATA drives, as well as EIDE, SCSI-3,
    and other high-end hard drives and solid-state drives such as flash
    devices.

    > > not unlike that scene from the first
    > > Crocodile Dundee movie where Paul Hogan turns on a TV many years after
    > > "I Love Lucy" stopped production, sees the same show in rerun
    > > syndication, and rightly concludes that not much has changed in TV
    > > programming.

    > > Same as it ever was. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

    That is really amusing. When I Love Lucy first aired in the late
    1950s, the shows were in black-and-white, they were often shot live,
    the shows that were video taped were often erased within a few days
    after the show was aired. In most markets, there were only 3
    networks, there was no public television, and there were extremely
    tight restrictions on content. Entertainers suspected of being
    "Communists" (mostly just moderates or liberals) were black-listed and
    had to have their work submitted to the studios via "Fronts". Others
    had to get out of show-biz entirely.

    Today, there are over 200 channels on most cable boxes, as well as
    Direct-TV. There are both Liberal and Conservative networks, there
    are enterntainment channels dedicated to entire genres that used to
    only see a few hours per week during the 1950s and 1960s. Channels
    dedicated cartoons, Disney movies, history, comedy, science, military,
    news, and even old movies and old television programs.

    Similarly, Linux has also expanded. The games are better, the
    applications are better, there is full support for Java, applications
    from Sun, IBM, Borland, and numerous others. There are more
    commercial applications, and entirely new documents.

    > > RL

    > > "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" -- Yiddish
    > > proverb.

    There is one principle which cannot help but to keep one in
    ignorance, contempt prior to investigation. - A.A Big Book.

    > It's basically a very complex proposition to install Linux on a system
    > which already has MS installed. You must:
    >
    > 1) verify in BIOS that you can boot from a CD or DVD
    > 2) boot from the Linux CD or DVD
    > 3) follow the onscreen instructions
    >
    > At the end you will have a dual boot system all set up and ready to go.

    There are at least 1/2 dozen ways to have Windows and Linux on the
    same machine. Dual-boot is one. Live-CDs is another, VMWare Player
    is another, Xen is another, Microsoft's Virtual PC is another, and
    booting from memory sticks or externel USB drives may also be an
    option.

    Start simple, with a live-cd or VWare player solution, find out what
    Linux can (and can't) do, try using a properly configured Linux system
    for at least 4 hours per day for at least 90 days.

    You might still decide that you prefer Windows, which is a legitimate
    choice, but at least you will be making an informed choice, rather
    than just spewing Microsoft's propaganda. At least you didn't try to
    tell us how Linux only supported a command line interface.

    The command line interface is still available, and expands the
    capabilities of users, but there are still LOTS of GUI based
    applications and GUI interfaces to scripted or compiled applications.

    Rex Ballard

  8. Re: Somebody please PLEASE tell me how to install Linux on Windows (oh the pain, the PAIN of Linux installs!)

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > In another thread (http://tinyurl.com/2us2ep) I got no real help on
    > how to install Linux onto a SATA drive, though I idid learn some
    > trivia about AMD chips. But when attempting to install Linux Mandriva
    > (see the above thread) I noticed that Mandriva only ran off the hard
    > drive.

    Don't you mean "CD"? Then you seem to have obtained the Live CD version. A
    nice demo indeed, but nothing like the real deal. Then again: it's a good
    test to see if the graphics card, networking and HD access all work
    properly. If so, you an safely install the actual OS.

    > It was akin to a demo rather than a real OS. It did look
    > nice, I'll grant you that. For a minute, as a Microsoft shareholder,
    > I was briefly worried that maybe there was something to this Linux
    > movement after all. For a minute.
    >
    > Now can anybody please point me to a site or otherwise tell me how to
    > go about installing Linux onto a machine that has Windows
    > (specifically, Windows Vista) on its hard drive? Keep in mind due to
    > the particularities of this system (see the above thread) I'm very
    > leary of trying to install another OS unless I absolutely have to, and
    > in fact I'll probably only install Linux if Vista activation yet again
    > fails, but I'd like to research how to do so just in case.

    Step 1: Get the full Mandriva 2008 install DVD. If you wish, I could even
    send you one by snail mail. But if you have even a moderately fast ADSL
    line, the ISO download should be done overnight from one of the many
    mirrors.
    Step 2: Make sure you have free HD space to install Mandriva on; if all HD
    space is dedicated to Vista, you may have to reinstall Vista on a smaller
    partition to create space. This is because you can't alter Vista's NTFS
    partition size any more to make room for Linux, and you'll have to manually
    re-enable Vista booting; both these issues have to do with changes in NTFS,
    and the Windows Vista boot loader, respectively (resizing and painless
    dual-boot setup works just fine with XP and older Windows versions, but for
    reasons unknown, Microsoft chose to make the changes mentioned). See also
    http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/about78184.html
    Step 3: Insert Mandriva DVD, boot machine and follow instructions. Again:
    don't try resizing the Vista partition to free up disk space.
    Step 4: Manually enter the changes in GRUB as described in the above linked
    page to be able to boot into Vista again.
    Step 5: Go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ to greatly expand the software
    choice for Mandriva, and install libcss, lame and some more protected or
    patent-burdened stuff which can't be included on the official DVD.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

+ Reply to Thread