Nvidia Drivers for Debian 3.0 r5?? - Linux

This is a discussion on Nvidia Drivers for Debian 3.0 r5?? - Linux ; OK, I have installed Debiam 3.0 r5 to my hard drive, but X Window fails to start. The error messages complain about no screen and no device on a PCI bus. The missing device is the video adapter. Some of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Nvidia Drivers for Debian 3.0 r5??

  1. Nvidia Drivers for Debian 3.0 r5??

    OK, I have installed Debiam 3.0 r5 to my hard drive, but X Window
    fails to start. The error messages complain about no screen and no
    device on a PCI bus. The missing device is the video adapter. Some of
    the detailed error message information lists the available Nvidia
    drivers. The newest driver is Geforce3. My card is a later vintage
    Geforce4.

    Is there a way to get drivers for the Geforce4 video adapter and
    install them on my system? I am new to this stuff, so I need a good
    explanation or a good pointer to a source on the Internet for
    information about getting and installing drivers.

    Thanks, jimbo

  2. Re: Nvidia Drivers for Debian 3.0 r5??

    Try installing the packages mdetect, read-edid, discover, and hotplug

    Using a 2.6 kernel with the above packages, then installing and
    configuring X, I have never failed to get X running on any system I've
    tried.

  3. Re: Nvidia Drivers for Debian 3.0 r5??

    Clinton V. Weiss wrote:
    > Try installing the packages mdetect, read-edid, discover, and hotplug
    >
    > Using a 2.6 kernel with the above packages, then installing and
    > configuring X, I have never failed to get X running on any system I've
    > tried.


    Thanks for your reply. Now I need to change apt-get to search an
    Internet URL rather than my CD rom for the packages.

    Please tell me how to to do that.

    Thanks, jimbo

  4. Re: Nvidia Drivers for Debian 3.0 r5??

    jimbo wrote:
    > Clinton V. Weiss wrote:
    >
    >> Try installing the packages mdetect, read-edid, discover, and hotplug
    >>
    >> Using a 2.6 kernel with the above packages, then installing and
    >> configuring X, I have never failed to get X running on any system I've
    >> tried.

    >
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. Now I need to change apt-get to search an
    > Internet URL rather than my CD rom for the packages.
    >
    > Please tell me how to to do that.
    >
    > Thanks, jimbo


    Run apt-setup from the command line.

  5. Re: Nvidia Drivers for Debian 3.0 r5??

    Clinton V. Weiss wrote:
    > jimbo wrote:
    >
    >> Clinton V. Weiss wrote:
    >>
    >>> Try installing the packages mdetect, read-edid, discover, and hotplug
    >>>
    >>> Using a 2.6 kernel with the above packages, then installing and
    >>> configuring X, I have never failed to get X running on any system
    >>> I've tried.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks for your reply. Now I need to change apt-get to search an
    >> Internet URL rather than my CD rom for the packages.
    >>
    >> Please tell me how to to do that.
    >>
    >> Thanks, jimbo

    >
    >
    > Run apt-setup from the command line.


    Thanks for the great help!

    jimbo

+ Reply to Thread