[News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals - Linux ; Greenpeace Slams Microsoft, Nintendo ,----[ Quote ] | Greenpeace gave Microsoft and Nintendo abysmal rankings Tuesday on their | efforts to phase out toxic chemicals from their game consoles. `---- http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...BJEPQD8T671N80 Related: Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    `----

    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...BJEPQD8T671N80

    Related:

    Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Beau Baconguis of the Southeast Asia section of the environmental
    | protection organization Greenpeace has warned that the introduction
    | by Microsoft of its new operating system Windows Vista might as a
    | side effect trigger a deluge of electronic waste (E-waste). "With
    | Vista, Microsoft could effectively hasten the obsolesence of half
    | the world's PCs, especially in the absence of fully-functioning
    | global take back systems for PCs," Ms. Baconguis declared.
    `----

    Vista poses environmental dangers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Vista could have serious environmental implications,
    | experts have warned.
    |
    | The latest version of Windows uses encryption methods that are
    | incompatible with some older PCs. It also features high-end
    | graphics capabilities that can only run on newer hardware.
    `----

    http://www.computing.co.uk/computing...-environmental

    Vista gets slated - by the Greens

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Green Party has slammed Microsoft and it's forthcoming operating
    | system, Windows Vista, in a withering attack on the company's "monopoly".
    |
    | Microsoft not only takes criticism for allegedly environmentally
    | unfriendly policies, but for attacking civil liberties.
    |
    | The party claims that "Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock
    | you out of your computer," and that "Microsoft are determined not
    | to play fair" in the video content market.
    `----

    http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=107813

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    > Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

    I don't think Siân Berry has much to worry about, given Vista's
    rather lacklustre uptake.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
    | Layer' when they go through our landfill sites." - Siân Berry,
    | Green Party. http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
    `----

    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7
    07:15:49 up 17 days, 4:09, 2 users, load average: 0.26, 0.39, 0.36

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 29 November 2007 07:18 : \____

    >> Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Make that binary waste. It takes some ops to format the HDD and install
    something usable like BSD, Linux, or even OpenSolaris and that teletubby thing
    with IE, Solitaire and fragmentation utilities for FAT.

    > I don't think Siân Berry has much to worry about, given Vista's
    > rather lacklustre uptake.

    They used to mention Vista every other month. No word for a long time. It
    figures. The same goes for the BadVista blog.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    The Intel-Dell-MS oligopoly/treo can be weakened by competition (Freedom)
    Mem: 515500k total, 212276k used, 303224k free, 5668k buffers

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    * [H]omer fired off this tart reply:

    >> Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

    > I don't think Sin Berry has much to worry about, given Vista's
    > rather lacklustre uptake.

    But but... Microsoft has 80 million license sales in hand!

    Although Vista is in use at work, on some big-ass (17") Acer laptops, I
    was talking to a guy at an oyster roast. He bought a computer for
    around $400-500. It had Vista, and it had problems. He said they
    finally figured out he needed to buy a different graphics card,
    something like $150. He said to hell with it, returned the computer,
    and went back to his MacBook.

    Just a personal Vista anecdote.

    But hell, I don't even like XP. And Vista! Furgeddaboudit!

    I will never buy a pre-loaded system again, even if I have to go no-name
    to do it. (Exception: wife want a new machine, and still wants
    Windoze, even as she hears about Vista -- we'll see).

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

    > They used to mention Vista every other month. No word for a long time. It
    > figures. The same goes for the BadVista blog.

    http://badvista.fsf.org/logos/BadVista_no_littering.png

    Vista: So bad that Badvista.fsf.org is not needed.

    Actually, even though SP1 doesn't promise any real performance boost,
    I'm sure it will fix a few problems, and uptake will creep back up.

    Not that I have to worry. We won't be adopting Vista at work anytime
    soon. And we don't have to worry about this, we're not paying for this
    stuff:

    http://www.nmcistinks.com/

    We will be waiting with baited breath as the promised "tech refresh"
    rolls out. If it ever does. Many of the early deployment sites are
    well into four years on their hardware. This is hardware that was two
    years out of date when they originally received it. Of course Windows
    2000 is going into it's seventh year of life, long ago eclipsed by
    Windows XP and soon to be further antiqued by Windows Vista.
    Inquiring minds would love to see the check that EDS writes to
    Microsoft every year for almost exclusive support of the outdated
    Windows 2000.

    --
    Tux rox!

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    Linonut writes:

    > * [H]omer fired off this tart reply:

    >>> Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

    >> I don't think Siân Berry has much to worry about, given Vista's
    >> rather lacklustre uptake.

    > But but... Microsoft has 80 million license sales in hand!
    >
    > Although Vista is in use at work, on some big-ass (17") Acer laptops, I
    > was talking to a guy at an oyster roast. He bought a computer for
    > around $400-500. It had Vista, and it had problems. He said they
    > finally figured out he needed to buy a different graphics card,

    They almost certainly figured wrong. WOuld you like to tell us which
    computer this was and what gfx card did not have Windows support? But,
    WAIT A MINUTE!!!! Surely that is the problem of the gfx card
    manufacturers? Make up your mind!

    > something like $150. He said to hell with it, returned the computer,
    > and went back to his MacBook.
    >
    > Just a personal Vista anecdote.

    Except it's not. It's third party. With no evidence. As usual.

    > But hell, I don't even like XP. And Vista! Furgeddaboudit!
    >
    > I will never buy a pre-loaded system again, even if I have to go no-name
    > to do it. (Exception: wife want a new machine, and still wants
    > Windoze, even as she hears about Vista -- we'll see).

    --
    Olá. Grata, Mara. passe na Vanessa para matar galo.
    -- pal*ndromo

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    Linonut wrote:
    > * [H]omer fired off this tart reply:

    >>> Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

    >> I don't think Sin Berry has much to worry about, given Vista's
    >> rather lacklustre uptake.

    > But but... Microsoft has 80 million license sales in hand!

    Aye! Amazing (the amount period, not the amount considering the cola
    idiots lies about Vista)

    > I will never buy a pre-loaded system again, even if I have to go
    > no-name to do it.

    Same here. It's more fun to build anyway.

    > (Exception: wife want a new machine, and still wants
    > Windoze, even as she hears about Vista -- we'll see).

    Build her a small-case, micro-ATX system (these prices include shipping):

    CPU: Intel C2D, $75

    CPU cooler: Zalman, $40
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118114 (get her
    one of these bad boys and she'll know you're a man among men)

    mobo: ASRock, 4gb max memory, micro-ATX, $56

    disk: Seagate 120gb SATA, $53

    power supply: 360 watt PCPower/Cooling Silencer $58

    2gb memory: Crucial PC5300, $45

    video card: Gigabyte/ATI Radeon, PCI Express, fanless $55

    DVD burner: Lite-On, Lightscribe, SATA $35

    Case: Thermaltake, small, nice, $93 ($63 if you buy today)

    SATA cables, CPU thermal paste: $10

    Total: $520

    The PC hardware choices are mind-boggling, and www.newegg.com will suck up a
    lot of time browsing and trying to decide. FWIW, my advice is to never buy
    the cheapest stuff available.

    And most importantly, ffs, get her a proper OS. On a system like the one
    above, Vista Home Premium/Ultimate will run well, but XP Pro will give you
    less trouble with drivers and software availability/compatibility.

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    > I will never buy a pre-loaded system again, even if I have to go
    > no-name to do it.

    I used to think I could avoid the OEM lock-in problem indefinitely, by
    simply building my own (which also has the advantage of producing a PC
    built to my /exact/ specifications). These days I'm much more inclined
    to buy laptops though, making my previous workaround a bit difficult.

    Certainly it is possible to buy preinstalled GNU/Linux laptops, but my
    choices are much more limited (thank you Microsoft), and of course the
    other option is the Windows refund route, which has been successful so
    far, for those cases I've read about.

    > (Exception: wife want a new machine, and still wants Windoze, even
    > as she hears about Vista -- we'll see).

    I think $wife is buggy and may need patching.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
    | Layer' when they go through our landfill sites." - Siân Berry,
    | Green Party. http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
    `----

    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7
    16:51:14 up 17 days, 13:44, 1 user, load average: 0.59, 0.45, 0.45

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> (Exception: wife want a new machine, and still wants
    >> Windoze, even as she hears about Vista -- we'll see).

    > Build her a small-case, micro-ATX system (these prices include shipping):

    Nah, I expect her XP system to hold her for quite a long time.

    She uses it for web-mail, IM, Word, Excel, browsing, and accessing
    pine on the Med U's Linux server.

    > 2gb memory: Crucial PC5300, $45

    I went for 2x2Gb A-Data DDR2 800. Pretty expensive, $130. G.Skill had
    the same for $10 less, with a $40 rebate, but I decided to not bite on
    that. Last memory rebate I applied for never came.

    Anyway, I get the box, and I open up my 64-bit machine, and pop the old
    RAM out, and pop in the new chips.

    I power up, and the fan is making this racket. Cheap-ass case flexing,
    I guess.

    But worse, the mobo starts beeping. Fuh! I dig around for the mobo
    manual. After awhile, I find it, and I turn to a page that lists the
    validate brands of RAM. I see that the highest stick they have is 1 Gb,
    and I'm wondering if I made a baaaaaad mistake.

    But, I have a soccer game, so I go to it, stewing on the way there and
    back. I say "to hell computers" for the night, very tired.

    The next morning, I get the invoice to look at the RMA terms, then I
    take another, longer, look at the manual, and I see that the mobo should
    be able to handle what I bought.

    So I go to the BIOS settings, see that the DRAM clock is set to Auto. I
    force it to "DDR 800", and it boots fine. Whew. All in a stew over
    nothing.

    The fan noise? Twist the case a little, and it is fine .

    > Total: $520

    That's a bit pricey, What she has now cost about $400. She doesn't
    need the extra ooomph at this time.

    > The PC hardware choices are mind-boggling, and www.newegg.com will suck up a
    > lot of time browsing and trying to decide. FWIW, my advice is to never buy
    > the cheapest stuff available.

    Yeah, that's why I went with A-Data.

    > And most importantly, ffs, get her a proper OS. On a system like the one
    > above, Vista Home Premium/Ultimate will run well, but XP Pro will give you
    > less trouble with drivers and software availability/compatibility.

    She's happy with the system, for the most part. Windows XP (Home) is
    fine if all you want to do is browse, email, IM, and do a few documents.

    She could actually do everything she does now, with Linux, sigh.

    --
    Merry Christmas to me!

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:23:18 -0500, Linonut
    wrote:

    >* [H]omer fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> I think $wife is buggy and may need patching.

    >She is operational and all of her circuits are functioning normally.
    >Functioning normally.
    >Functioning normally.
    >Functioning normally.

    Good one.
    Glad to see you still have your sense of humor!

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    * [H]omer fired off this tart reply:

    > I think $wife is buggy and may need patching.

    She is operational and all of her circuits are functioning normally.
    Functioning normally.
    Functioning normally.
    Functioning normally.

    --
    Tux rox!

  12. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    * flatfish fired off this tart reply:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:23:18 -0500, Linonut
    > wrote:
    >
    >>* [H]omer fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> I think $wife is buggy and may need patching.

    >>She is operational and all of her circuits are functioning normally.
    >>Functioning normally.
    >>Functioning normally.
    >>Functioning normally.

    > Good one.
    > Glad to see you still have your sense of humor!

    Actually, she does need some patching. She's had adhesions and pain in
    her rotator cuff that surgery has not cured. She's had eye surgery,
    ensuing catarracts, a replacement lens, and is dealing with medicine to
    let the iris get back to a normal shape. She's got a suspicious spot in
    her breast that is a little ominous. And she's going in for colon
    surgery next week. It's been a bad year for her.

    But, she still works late and has a good attitude.

    --
    Tux rox!

  13. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    >* [H]omer fired off this tart reply:

    >>> Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

    >> I don't think Sin Berry has much to worry about, given Vista's
    >> rather lacklustre uptake.

    > But but... Microsoft has 80 million license sales in hand!

    Old news. Its over 100 million today.

  14. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    "DFS" wrote in message
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * [H]omer fired off this tart reply:

    >>> I don't think Sin Berry has much to worry about, given Vista's
    >>> rather lacklustre uptake.

    >> But but... Microsoft has 80 million license sales in hand!

    > Aye! Amazing (the amount period, not the amount considering the cola
    > idiots lies about Vista)
    >

    >> I will never buy a pre-loaded system again, even if I have to go
    >> no-name to do it.

    > Same here. It's more fun to build anyway.
    >

    >> (Exception: wife want a new machine, and still wants
    >> Windoze, even as she hears about Vista -- we'll see).

    > Build her a small-case, micro-ATX system (these prices include shipping):
    >
    > CPU: Intel C2D, $75
    >
    > CPU cooler: Zalman, $40
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118114 (get her
    > one of these bad boys and she'll know you're a man among men)
    >
    > mobo: ASRock, 4gb max memory, micro-ATX, $56
    >
    > disk: Seagate 120gb SATA, $53
    >
    > power supply: 360 watt PCPower/Cooling Silencer $58
    >
    > 2gb memory: Crucial PC5300, $45
    >
    > video card: Gigabyte/ATI Radeon, PCI Express, fanless $55
    >
    > DVD burner: Lite-On, Lightscribe, SATA $35
    >
    > Case: Thermaltake, small, nice, $93 ($63 if you buy today)
    >
    > SATA cables, CPU thermal paste: $10
    >
    > Total: $520
    >
    > The PC hardware choices are mind-boggling, and www.newegg.com will suck up
    > a lot of time browsing and trying to decide. FWIW, my advice is to never
    > buy the cheapest stuff available.
    >
    > And most importantly, ffs, get her a proper OS. On a system like the one
    > above, Vista Home Premium/Ultimate will run well, but XP Pro will give
    > you less trouble with drivers and software availability/compatibility.

    Or else you could get a Dell 531 without a monitor but with an extra 1GB Ram
    (2Gb total) and 250GB HD and Vista Home Premium for $459. Then just take it
    all apart and put it back together again to satisfy your lusts. Free
    shipping too..

  15. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:07:09 -0500, Linonut
    wrote:

    >Actually, she does need some patching. She's had adhesions and pain in
    >her rotator cuff that surgery has not cured. She's had eye surgery,
    >ensuing catarracts, a replacement lens, and is dealing with medicine to
    >let the iris get back to a normal shape. She's got a suspicious spot in
    >her breast that is a little ominous. And she's going in for colon
    >surgery next week. It's been a bad year for her.
    >
    >But, she still works late and has a good attitude.

    Sorry to hear that. I hope all goes well for you and her.
    I have a tear in my right rotator cuff. I do therapy twice a week and
    it seems to be getting better. Calcium deposits in the joint tore the
    cuff up.
    Once in a while it swells up and I need a cortisone injection.
    Surgery is the last resort in my case.

  16. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    * Hadron fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut writes:
    >> * Hadron fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >> I realize you can't help being an insolent jerkwad, but come on dude!

    > No, Linonut. You told us an anecdote and I want to hear the facts about
    > this magical video card which didn't work with Vista.

    Just shut the hell up, troll.

  17. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    Linonut writes:

    > * Hadron fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>> * Hadron fired off this tart reply:
    >>>
    >>> I realize you can't help being an insolent jerkwad, but come on dude!

    >> No, Linonut. You told us an anecdote and I want to hear the facts about
    >> this magical video card which didn't work with Vista.

    > Just shut the hell up, troll.

    So, lets get this right. You tell an anecdote aimed at dissing
    Vista. Fine. When asked for more details you clam up and call me the
    troll? Oh dear. You really blew this little thread.

    --
    Se muere de verguenza, no de miedo.
    -- Proverbio birmano.

  18. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    flatfish wrote:

    > I have a tear in my right rotator cuff.

    Where's the proof?

    > I do therapy twice a week and it seems to be getting better.

    Where's the proof?

    > Calcium deposits in the joint tore the cuff up.

    Where's the proof?

    > Once in a while it swells up and I need a cortisone injection.

    Where's the proof?

    > Surgery is the last resort in my case.

    Where's the proof?

  19. Re: [News] [Rival] Greenpeace Slaps Microsoft Over Toxic Chemicals

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Hadron fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>> * Hadron fired off this tart reply:
    >>>
    >>> I realize you can't help being an insolent jerkwad, but come on
    >>> dude!

    >> No, Linonut. You told us an anecdote and I want to hear the facts
    >> about this magical video card which didn't work with Vista.

    > Just shut the hell up, troll.

    I want to hear the details, too. Make 'em up if you have to - cola usually
    does.

+ Reply to Thread