[News] Debian Computer Boots in Under 2 Seconds - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Debian Computer Boots in Under 2 Seconds - Linux ; Quick booting SBC runs Debian Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Technologic Systems has announced a single-board computer (SBC) claimed to | boot Linux 2.6 in under two seconds. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3219821348.html Related: ASUS add WiFi-N, quick-boot Linux to P5E3 motherboard ,----[ ...

  1. [News] Debian Computer Boots in Under 2 Seconds

    `----

    Related:

    ASUS add WiFi-N, quick-boot Linux to P5E3 motherboard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | hat last part is perhaps the most interesting; ASUS are calling it Express
    | Gate, but it’s basically a fast-boot alternative that, in just five seconds,
    | bypasses Windows and gives you a web-browser running in a custom Linux OS.
    `----

    http://www.slashgear.com/asus-add-wi...ard-267643.php

    Mach Boot: The live CD that supposedly boots in 10 seconds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mach Boot won't replace Knoppix, and it won't replace Puppy, DSL or NimbleX
    | either. But it's a tool all its own, one that could be very useful with a
    | little more development time.
    `----

    http://www.insidesocal.com/click/200...osedly_bo.html

    Tiny WiFi-enabled Linux box boots in 1.1 seconds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Technologic continues to reduce the boot time, price, and size of
    | its embedded boards and systems targeting remote sensing and other
    | power-critical applications. Its new $100 ARM9-based TS-7400 board can
    | boot Linux in 1.1 seconds, and is available as part of a tiny
    | WiFi-enabled system.
    `----

    Flexible ARM9 SBC boots Linux in 1.69 seconds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Technologic Systems is offering a freely downloadable, Debian-based Linux
    | OS image said to boot from an SD card in less than two seconds, on the
    | company's ARM9-based SBC (single-board computer).
    `----

    Dell Creating Consumer PCs Complete with Virtualization

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And in a similar fashion to what Parallels and VMware Fusion did for the
    | Intel-based Mac community, this could give the Linux operating system a boost
    | from consumers who want to use the open source software but don't want to
    | lose out on what Microsoft's Windows platforms offer. *
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtuali...reating_c.html

    Dell to stuff hypervisors in flash memory

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell CTO Kevin Kettler today confirmed these plans during a speech here at
    | LinuxWorld, saying the company expects to see major performance and
    | power-saving improvements by dumping a hypervisor in flash. Customers will
    | basically "boot to a virtual machine-ready" state, he said. *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...ervisor_flash/

    SplashTop Source Code Released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | These patches are for Bootsplash,
    | DVM, getting the CMOS time, adjusting the max loop, the sk98lin networking
    | driver, and SquashFS. Presently, the Linux kernel that SplashTop uses is
    | Linux 2.6.20.11.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=915&num=1

    Linux Boot Time Greatly Reduced, x86 Version of TP InstantBoot Announced

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The boot loader extension transfers and expands the image to the memory at
    | startup and returns the state of the InstantBoot driver to what it was just
    | before power was shut off. The solution reduces startup time through a
    | combination of these processes. *
    `----

    http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...071107/141935/

    Microsoft nonchalant about Phoenix assault on Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | BIOS maker Phoenix Technologies Ltd.'s plans to market a new application
    | platform the company claims will solve a number of problems endemic to
    | Microsoft's Windows platform might be taken as a provocative gesture at their
    | longtime partner. But Redmond's immediate reaction was nonchalant. *
    |
    | On Monday, the Milpitas, Calif. software maker announced Hyperspace, a
    | Linux-based virtualization platform that will let OEMs bundle cut-down
    | versions of popular open-source software that end users will be able to
    | access instantly, even without booting Windows. * *
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top
    http://tinyurl.com/3depfj

    Phoenix HyperSpace: Quick-Boot Your Laptop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Phoenix Technologies' new HyperSpace is an instant-on environment for
    | laptops, letting users launch a browser or other apps with booting into the
    | OS. *
    |
    | Today, Phoenix Technologies introduced a firmware product called HyperSpace,
    | which allows PCs to run a number of applications separate from the operating
    | system. What that means is that if you use a PC equipped with HyperSpace, you
    | will be able to quick-boot your notebook into a secure Linux environment,
    | where you can use Web browsers like FireFox and pre-loaded Web-aware apps
    | like Google Earth, Picasa, and the like. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Also, since HyperSpace is a Linux-based platform, Windows viruses won't
    | affect it.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Debian Computer Boots in Under 2 Seconds

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Quick booting SBC runs Debian Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Technologic Systems has announced a single-board computer (SBC) claimed
    > | to boot Linux 2.6 in under two seconds.
    > `----

    Wow! This thing is awesome... and only 4watts of power require? But the
    price... why oh why can't the price be a nit more affordable? For the
    asking price of $270.00 I could buy a complete computer from Walmart and
    have change left over for a new keyboard and mouse...

    Some body, some where, has a nicely featured SBC at a real affordable
    price...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: [News] Debian Computer Boots in Under 2 Seconds

    ____/ Jerry McBride on Thursday 29 November 2007 01:35 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Quick booting SBC runs Debian Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Technologic Systems has announced a single-board computer (SBC) claimed
    >> | to boot Linux 2.6 in under two seconds.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3219821348.html
    >>

    > Wow! This thing is awesome... and only 4watts of power require? But the
    > price... why oh why can't the price be a nit more affordable? For the
    > asking price of $270.00 I could buy a complete computer from Walmart and
    > have change left over for a new keyboard and mouse...
    >
    > Some body, some where, has a nicely featured SBC at a real affordable
    > price...

    Are you designinga space rocket? Beowulf clusters, SBCs by the hundreds...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    ..oʍʇ sɐ buıɥʇ ɥɔns ou s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 'ɹǝpuǝq 'ʎɹɹoʍ ʇ,uop :ʎɹɟ
    ..oʍʇ ɐ ʍɐs ı ʇɥbnoɥʇ ı puɐ ...ǝɹǝɥʍʎɹǝʌǝ soɹǝz puɐ sǝuo .ɯɐǝɹp 1nɟʍɐ uɐ
    ʇɐɥʍ 'ɥɥɥɐ :ɹǝpuǝq

  4. Re: [News] Debian Computer Boots in Under 2 Seconds

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Jerry McBride on Thursday 29 November 2007 01:35 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Quick booting SBC runs Debian Linux
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3219821348.html
    >>>

    >> Wow! This thing is awesome... and only 4watts of power require? But the
    >> price... why oh why can't the price be a nit more affordable? For the
    >> asking price of $270.00 I could buy a complete computer from Walmart and
    >> have change left over for a new keyboard and mouse...
    >>
    >> Some body, some where, has a nicely featured SBC at a real affordable
    >> price...

    > Are you designinga space rocket? Beowulf clusters, SBCs by the hundreds...

    Development systems usually have a lot of IO, which tends to be a bit
    more pricey than "complete" systems. Also, as they do not expect to
    sell the same kinds of numbers as domestic equipment will, they have to
    price more highly because of the production economics curve problem.

  5. Re: [News] Debian Computer Boots in Under 2 Seconds

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:35:48 -0500, Jerry McBride
    wrote:

    >Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Quick booting SBC runs Debian Linux
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Technologic Systems has announced a single-board computer (SBC) claimed
    >> | to boot Linux 2.6 in under two seconds.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3219821348.html
    >>

    >Wow! This thing is awesome... and only 4watts of power require? But the
    >price... why oh why can't the price be a nit more affordable? For the
    >asking price of $270.00 I could buy a complete computer from Walmart and
    >have change left over for a new keyboard and mouse...
    >
    >Some body, some where, has a nicely featured SBC at a real affordable
    >price...

    And then what do you do with it?
    Compile kernels and play with VI?

  6. Re: [News] Debian Computer Boots in Under 2 Seconds

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:32:10 +0000, Mark Kent
    wrote:

    >Development systems usually have a lot of IO, which tends to be a bit
    >more pricey than "complete" systems. Also, as they do not expect to
    >sell the same kinds of numbers as domestic equipment will, they have to
    >price more highly because of the production economics curve problem.

    We need another roll in stall 3 up on the second floor Mark.

  7. Re: [News] Debian Computer Boots in Under 2 Seconds

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:33:22 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:35:48 -0500, Jerry McBride
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Quick booting SBC runs Debian Linux
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3219821348.html
    >>>

    >>Wow! This thing is awesome... and only 4watts of power require? But the
    >>price... why oh why can't the price be a nit more affordable? For the
    >>asking price of $270.00 I could buy a complete computer from Walmart and
    >>have change left over for a new keyboard and mouse...
    >>
    >>Some body, some where, has a nicely featured SBC at a real affordable
    >>price...

    > And then what do you do with it?
    > Compile kernels and play with VI?

    Something wrong with that, flatty?

    --
    Kier

  8. Re: [News] Debian Computer Boots in Under 2 Seconds

    ____/ Kier on Thursday 29 November 2007 16:38 : \____

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:33:22 -0500, flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:35:48 -0500, Jerry McBride
    >> wrote:

    >>>Wow! This thing is awesome... and only 4watts of power require? But the
    >>>price... why oh why can't the price be a nit more affordable? For the
    >>>asking price of $270.00 I could buy a complete computer from Walmart and
    >>>have change left over for a new keyboard and mouse...
    >>>
    >>>Some body, some where, has a nicely featured SBC at a real affordable
    >>>price...

    >> And then what do you do with it?
    >> Compile kernels and play with VI?

    > Something wrong with that, flatty?

    s/that/s\/he\/it/

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Previous signature has been conceded
    Swap: 1510068k total, 424428k used, 1085640k free, 79600k cached