[News] ASUSTek Argues It Now Complies with the GPL, Announces Eee PC Linux SDK - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] ASUSTek Argues It Now Complies with the GPL, Announces Eee PC Linux SDK - Linux ; ASUSTek is committed to meet the requirements of the GNU General Public License ,----[ Quote ] | The open source code for EeePC is available here. To download the source code | of all open source software packages that are ...

  1. [News] ASUSTek Argues It Now Complies with the GPL, Announces Eee PC Linux SDK

    ASUSTek is committed to meet the requirements of the GNU General Public License

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The open source code for EeePC is available here. To download the source code
    | of all open source software packages that are included in the product, follow
    | the steps listed below.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Asus is also pleased to announce the upcoming release of the Eee PC SDK.
    `----

    http://eeepc.asus.com/en/news11272007.htm

    In Defense of The GPL

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ravicher, however, said it is not yet clear whether the BusyBox litigation
    | has had a measurable impact on proper GPL usage or caused potential violators
    | to clean up their acts.
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3712896

    Related:

    ASUS eeePC: First impressions and GPL violations

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What you won't find on that site are sources. ASUS is bound by the GPL to
    | make the sources for the software they're distributing available, even if
    | they have not modified them. (Check the license if you don't believe me.)
    | ASUS has posted a 1.8GB ZIP file on their website that they claim is the
    | sources, but it's not -- it contains a few .debs (not even the versions that
    | ship on the machine) and some kernel headers. (Perhaps they figured nobody
    | would pull 1.8GB from their slow-as-molasses site and find out.)
    `----

    http://cliffhacks.blogspot.com/2007/...s-and-gpl.html

    Asus eeePC violates GPL say Linux stalwarts

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Members of the Linux community have complained that the hot new sub-notebook
    | from Asus, the eeePC, may have violated the spirit of the Linux General
    | Public License (GPL). *
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/index.php?opti...r+your+vote%21

    Asus Eee PC doing well

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It appears that this holiday season the gPC is not the only mainstream Linux
    | PC to get a lot of attention. The Asus Eee PC, a $400 laptop that runs a
    | basic version of Linux, is sold out at Amazon and Best Buy, where it has
    | received a 4.5/5 user rating at both places.
    `----

    http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2007/1...pc-doing-well/

    The Asus Eee Laptop Series Selling Off the Shelves World Wide

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The sturdy and light weight Asus Eee has captured the hearts and minds of US
    | consumers, students and educators. The Eee series has all the features of its
    | competitors, but its affordable price is turning heads. The Eee units are
    | literally selling off the shelves world-wide. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The popular Eee is not without its critics. IT Wire reports that Asus Eee may
    | have misrepresented the Linux loaded capabilities. According to IT Wire, some
    | Linux advocates say the Eee uses Xandros a Debian-based distribution that
    | charges a license fee and has an agreement with Microsoft similar to the one
    | signed by Novell. * *
    `----

    http://www.physorg.com/news115288648.html

    Second Round of GPL Infringement Lawsuits Filed on Behalf of BusyBox Developers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) today announced that it has filed two
    | more copyright infringement lawsuits on behalf of its clients, two principal
    | developers of BusyBox, alleging violation of the GNU General Public License
    | (GPL). The defendants in the lawsuits are Xterasys Corporation and High-Gain
    | Antennas, LLC. BusyBox is a lightweight set of standard Unix utilities
    | commonly used in embedded systems and is open source software licensed under
    | GPL version 2. * * *
    `----

    http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/...ov/20/busybox/

    Is the Monsoon settlement a missed opportunity?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Certainly more was hoped for from the first US GPL lawsuit. “This case is
    | very important because it will establish what type of remedies (either
    | contract or copyright) are available to licensors for breach of the GPLv2,”
    | wrote Mark Radcliffe at the time the complaint was filed. *
    |
    | However, for those looking for legal precedent, all may not be lost. “Stay
    | tuned, however, as this is likely not the last lawsuit we will see here in
    | the U.S. to enforce the terms of the GPL,” notes Haislmaier. *
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...d-opportunity/

    Do Microsoft's EULAs have any real legal basis?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Microsoft has no special exemption from the sale of goods act." Well,
    | no, probably not - but it might still be selling you "services"
    | instead of "goods". But the real point to remember is that it doesn't
    | matter a jot what the "logical" position is, it is what the courts
    | decide that matters.
    |
    | As far as I know, no one has tested Microsoft's EULAs in a UK court
    | and, until someone does, Microsoft will just go on assuming that they
    | work. And I don't fancy the risk of taking on Microsoft's expensive
    | lawyers in court myself...
    `----

    http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/0...icrosoft_eula/

    BusyBox Developers and Monsoon Multimedia Agree to Dismiss GPL Lawsuit

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) and Monsoon Multimedia today jointly
    | announced that an agreement has been reached to dismiss the GPL enforcement
    | lawsuit filed by SFLC on behalf of two principal developers of BusyBox. *
    `----

    http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/...on-settlement/

    And Just Like That, The Games End — First Ever GPL Lawsuit Dismissed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the agreement to dismiss the lawsuit, the SFLC is reporting that Monsoon
    | Multimedia has agreed to appoint an “Open Source Compliance Officer” within
    | its organization “to monitor and ensure GPL compliance, to publish the source
    | code for the version of BusyBox it previously distributed on its web site,
    | and to undertake substantial efforts to notify previous recipients of BusyBox
    | from Monsoon Multimedia of their rights to the software under the GPL. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Stay tuned, however, as this is likely not the last lawsuit we will see here
    | in the U.S. to enforce the terms of the GPL.
    `----

    http://thinkingopen.wordpress.com/20...uit-dismissed/

    SFLC: Setting Legal Precedent Not the Goal of GPL Case

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Software Freedom Law Center co-founder Dan Ravicher says the Center’s
    | copyright infringement case against Monsoon Multimedia on behalf of the *
    | creators of BusyBox is not about setting legal precedent for the use and
    | interpretation of the GNU General Public License. *
    `----

    http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/osb/?p=241

    GPL defenders say: See you in court

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The license also requires anyone distributing GPL software, in an executable
    | form that a computer can run, to make the complete source code available. One
    | example: Cisco Systems subsidiary Linksys, which *shares the GPL software
    | used in its wireless networking equipment. *
    `----

    http://www.news.com/GPL-defenders-sa...3-6210837.html

    First U.S. GPL lawsuit heads for quick settlement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The first U.S. GPL-related lawsuit appears to be headed for a quick
    | out-of-court settlement. Monsoon Multimedia admitted today that it had
    | violated the GPLv2 (GNU General Public License version 2), and said it will
    | release its modified BusyBox code in full compliance with the license. *
    `----

    New Method To Detect and Prove GPL Violations

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "A paper to be presented at the upcoming academic conference Automated
    | Software Engineering describes a new method to detect code theft and could be
    | used to detect GPL violations in particular. While the co-called birthmarking *
    | method is demonstrated for Java, it is general enough to work for other
    | languages as well..." *
    `----

    http://developers.slashdot.org/artic...48253&from=rss

    German Court convicted Skype of violating the GPL

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | German district court Munich has convicted Skype of violating the GPL. One of
    | the VoIP telephones sold by Skype run Linux, but the GPL text was not handed
    | out together with the phone, although the GPL requires that. *
    `----

    http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/0...#comment-27057

    German GPL defender claims legal victory
    *
    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open-source programmer Harald Welte said Thursday he won a civil court
    | case in Germany centered on the General Public License (GPL). The license
    | governs many open-source projects and permits anyone to use software
    | covered by it, but requires that companies incorporating GPL software
    | make the underlying source code available.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-611...3453&subj=news

    gpl-violations.org project prevails in court case on GPL violation by D-Link

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | D-Link Germany GmbH, a subsidiary of D-Link Corporation, Taiwan R.O.C.,
    | distributed DSM-G600, a network attached storage (NAS) device which uses a
    | Linux-based Operating System. *However, this distribution was incompliant
    | with the GNU General Public License (GPL) which covers the Linux Kernel and
    | many other software programs used in the product.
    `----

    http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060...frankfurt.html

    Wallace's Appeal Firmly Rejected - GPL Has Nothing to Fear [pdf]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | PJ: "Just so you know, Daniel Wallace's appeal of the ruling
    | against him in his pro se quest to overthrow the GPL on antitrust
    | grounds, one of SCO's daydreams too, has been firmly rejected by
    | the appeals court, as I knew it would be."
    `----

    http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/WallaceAppealRejected.pdf

    Would Dostoevsky Use the GPL?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I get nervous whenever large software shops talk up the virtues of a license
    | with fewer protections of developer and user rights. In the linked articles
    | above, there is talk of permissive licenses being the path of least
    | resistance, with the premise that it's "easier" to gravitate towards them. My
    | question is - easier for whom? Easier for the developers or easier for the
    | companies who wish to make use of it without those annoying obligations to
    | the greater free software ecosystem? As is often mentioned by others smarter
    | than me, a scenario where developers gravitate towards permissive licenses
    | makes it easier for companies to avoid community reciprocity. * * * *
    `----

    http://tinosc.blogspot.com/2007/09/w...y-use-gpl.html

  2. Re: [News] ASUSTek Argues It Now Complies with the GPL, Announces Eee PC Linux SDK

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 28 November 2007 22:35 : \____

    >> ASUSTek is committed to meet the requirements of the GNU General
    >> Public License

    > Ostensibly, they do now seem to provide /all/ the sources. Whether or
    > not these are the /corresponding/ sources for all the code, is a matter
    > for investigation.
    >
    > Direct links:
    >
    > http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...rce_071127.rar
    > http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...rce_071127.rar
    > http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...CPI_071126.rar
    > http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...rce_071127.rar
    > http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...nel_071127.rar
    > http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...rce_071127.rar
    > http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...701_071012.zip
    >
    > Why on earth have they used the proprietary RAR archiver for these?
    >
    > Bizarre.
    >
    > Anyway, the first six files are new, AFAICT, and presumably brings ASUS
    > into compliance. Like I said, I'd need to check.

    Watch the second comment in Slashdot. It's very funny. ASUSTek pulling a
    publicity stunt by teasing the GPL...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Mandriva & Fedora - Gotta love them girls
    Swap: 1510068k total, 661936k used, 848132k free, 65740k cached

  3. Re: [News] ASUSTek Argues It Now Complies with the GPL, Announces Eee PC Linux SDK

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 28 November 2007 22:35 : \____

    >>> ASUSTek is committed to meet the requirements of the GNU General
    >>> Public License

    >> Ostensibly, they do now seem to provide /all/ the sources. Whether or
    >> not these are the /corresponding/ sources for all the code, is a matter
    >> for investigation.
    >>
    >> Direct links:
    >>
    >> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...rce_071127.rar
    >> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...rce_071127.rar
    >> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...CPI_071126.rar
    >> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...rce_071127.rar
    >> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...nel_071127.rar
    >> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...rce_071127.rar
    >> http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...701_071012.zip
    >>
    >> Why on earth have they used the proprietary RAR archiver for these?
    >>
    >> Bizarre.
    >>
    >> Anyway, the first six files are new, AFAICT, and presumably brings ASUS
    >> into compliance. Like I said, I'd need to check.

    > Watch the second comment in Slashdot. It's very funny. ASUSTek pulling a
    > publicity stunt by teasing the GPL...

    I suppose they could be forgiven for that. To a point. The decision to
    pre-install a distribution which Microsoft have blessed is surely a
    mistake though - there is a wide open opportunity for a manufacturer to
    use an untainted distribution.