Re: OLPC : part II the excuses. - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: OLPC : part II the excuses. - Linux ; Exactly my point all along. Children don't learn on empty stomachs - even if they have a laptop computer....

  1. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    Exactly my point all along. Children don't learn on empty stomachs - even
    if they have a laptop computer.

  2. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    ray writes:

    > Exactly my point all along. Children don't learn on empty stomachs - even
    > if they have a laptop computer.

    Which particular point? You forgot to quote.

    --
    Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification
    purposes only.

  3. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    ray wrote:
    > Exactly my point all along. Children don't learn on empty stomachs - even
    > if they have a laptop computer.

    No, they don't. What does that have to do with trying to improve the
    education of children in the third world?

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    On Nov 27, 10:36 am, ray wrote:
    > Exactly my point all along. Children don't learn on empty stomachs - even
    > if they have a laptop computer.

    Food now won't help them when the charity dries up. Education helps
    break the cycle.

  5. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:35:44 -0800 (PST), cc
    wrote:

    >On Nov 27, 10:36 am, ray wrote:
    >> Exactly my point all along. Children don't learn on empty stomachs - even
    >> if they have a laptop computer.

    >Food now won't help them when the charity dries up. Education helps
    >break the cycle.

    Longterm yes,
    But for now, and the past 80 years or so, a decent triage system needs
    to be set up.
    The problem is the corrupt leaders, warlords etc.

    That problem needs to be solved before the OLPC stands a chance.

  6. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    * flatfish fired off this tart reply:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:35:44 -0800 (PST), cc
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Nov 27, 10:36 am, ray wrote:
    >>> Exactly my point all along. Children don't learn on empty stomachs - even
    >>> if they have a laptop computer.

    >>Food now won't help them when the charity dries up. Education helps
    >>break the cycle.

    > Longterm yes,
    > But for now, and the past 80 years or so, a decent triage system needs
    > to be set up.
    > The problem is the corrupt leaders, warlords etc.
    >
    > That problem needs to be solved before the OLPC stands a chance.

    Huh? That's like saying "the problem needs to be solved before cell
    phones stand a chance".

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    On 2007-11-30, Rick claimed:
    > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:05:32 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    >> And I have donated to the OLPC cause because despite my ramblings in
    >> COLA, I think the concept is a good one.

    > I'd be willing to bet a large number here do not believe you. After all,
    > why would --you-- donate computers to children that are starving, and so
    > could not use them?

    Furthermore, Flatphish wouldn't _ever_ donate anything that might go to
    people that aren't white. Except, perhaps, some rope to make nooses for
    their necks, some crosses to burn on their property or seedlings to
    grow trees to hang them on. Such things are for worthy causes in the
    Fartfish/DooFS world.

    --
    Civilized people don't need a government. So we have one.

  8. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 22:05:43 -0600, Sinister Midget
    wrote:

    >On 2007-11-30, Rick claimed:
    >> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:05:32 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    >>> And I have donated to the OLPC cause because despite my ramblings in
    >>> COLA, I think the concept is a good one.

    >> I'd be willing to bet a large number here do not believe you. After all,
    >> why would --you-- donate computers to children that are starving, and so
    >> could not use them?

    >Furthermore, Flatphish wouldn't _ever_ donate anything that might go to
    >people that aren't white. Except, perhaps, some rope to make nooses for
    >their necks, some crosses to burn on their property or seedlings to
    >grow trees to hang them on. Such things are for worthy causes in the
    >Fartfish/DooFS world.

    How do you know?
    You know nothing about me other than the fantasies you see written
    here.
    You forget a nice donation is tax deductible if done correctly.

  9. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 23:17:43 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 22:05:43 -0600, Sinister Midget
    > wrote:

    >>> I'd be willing to bet a large number here do not believe you. After
    >>> all, why would --you-- donate computers to children that are starving,
    >>> and so could not use them?

    >>Furthermore, Flatphish wouldn't _ever_ donate anything that might go to
    >>people that aren't white. Except, perhaps, some rope to make nooses for
    >>their necks, some crosses to burn on their property or seedlings to grow
    >>trees to hang them on. Such things are for worthy causes in the
    >>Fartfish/DooFS world.

    > How do you know?
    > You know nothing about me other than the fantasies you see written here.
    > You forget a nice donation is tax deductible if done correctly.

    And, AGAIN...

    why would --you-- donate computers to children that are starving, and so
    could not use them?

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    flatfish wrote:

    > the Linux nuts that have attached themselves to yet another cause and
    > in effect are going to doom the project by virtue of their paranoia
    > and false information.

    Where's the proof?

    > IOW LOSE THE MICOROSOFT/INTEL/ETC is out to sabatoge the program stuff
    > because it's just too far off the deep end.

    Where's the proof?

    > And I have donated to the OLPC cause

    Where's the proof?

    > because despite my ramblings in COLA, I think the concept is a good one.

    Where's the proof?

  11. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:36:18 -0700, ray wrote:

    > Exactly my point all along. Children don't learn on empty stomachs -
    > even if they have a laptop computer.

    Citation for anyone advocating giving laptops to hungry children?

    -Thufir

  12. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:47:45 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > The problem is the corrupt leaders, warlords etc.
    >
    > That problem needs to be solved before the OLPC stands a chance.

    Education is meant to break that cycle.

    -Thufir

  13. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 04:38:21 -0800, cc wrote:

    > If the end result is kids getting computers, who cares if it's a clone
    > of the OLPC?

    Exactly. Why would Microsoft care?

    -Thufir

  14. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 14:44:23 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

    >> In a nutshell, it's easy to have a black market for commodity items;
    >> the XO is designed to not fall into the black market as much as
    >> possible.
    >>

    > Which also means that it's quite suitable for use in any city
    > environment where children could be subject to muggings for anything
    > they might be carrying.

    My understanding is that the XO has been designed to be un-friendly
    towards adult users ergonomically. Also, I *think* I read about some
    sort of security system?

    It's inevitable that some kid somewhere will get mugged for his laptop,
    but I don't see that as a reason to not give out free laptops in
    developing countries.

    -Thufir

  15. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    > This is where the genius of spike1 comes in.

    Oh look, another thread I've not taken part in.
    I wonder who could possibly have dragged my name into it...

    *gasp*

    What a shock. I would NEVER have thought that of Hardon.
    What WAS he thinking?

    I think he's in love with me. It's the only possible reason for the
    fixation.

  16. Re: OLPC : part II the excuses.

    Thufir espoused:
    > On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 14:44:23 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >>> In a nutshell, it's easy to have a black market for commodity items;
    >>> the XO is designed to not fall into the black market as much as
    >>> possible.
    >>>

    >> Which also means that it's quite suitable for use in any city
    >> environment where children could be subject to muggings for anything
    >> they might be carrying.

    > My understanding is that the XO has been designed to be un-friendly
    > towards adult users ergonomically. Also, I *think* I read about some
    > sort of security system?
    >
    > It's inevitable that some kid somewhere will get mugged for his laptop,
    > but I don't see that as a reason to not give out free laptops in
    > developing countries.

    Sorry, I didn't express my point very well. I meant that because they
    will be so freely available, they will be in the "not worth stealing"
    bracket for many geographies.

    I fully agree with you, providing an education for all is of fundamental
    importance, further, is a pretty recent innovation. Even as recently as
    1918 in the UK, end of the "Great War", it was legal for a child of 9
    to be working, so those of modest means would be doing so, even though
    from 1870 all children between 5 and 10 were supposed to be educated,
    and from 1891, primary education became free for all.

    So, free primary education for all is only just over 100 years old in
    the UK, not a fantastic record if you consider that our recorded history
    goes back around 2,000 years, and more if you include runic carved script.

    The OLPC machine is a fantastic vehicle for countries with poor
    infrastructure. I wonder how many Maxwells, Newtons, Einsteins,
    Bohrs, Rutherfords, Curies, Oppenheimers, Shakespeares, Hugos, Mozarts,
    Bernsteins, Degas's, Van Goghs, Da Vincis and Sun Tzus are living and
    dieing without ever coming close to realising their potential?

    We've all heard of Aristotle because he was fortunate enough to be born
    in a state which respected education and learning, even if it didn't
    provide same for everyone.

    I suspect a lot of people would prefer to see the ill-educated remain so
    in order that they keep "in their place".