[News] A Million Linux-Capable PCs (PS3s) Sold in Small Nation - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] A Million Linux-Capable PCs (PS3s) Sold in Small Nation - Linux ; A Million PSPs Sell in Japan ,----[ Quote ] | In the week from November 12 to 18 the PSP was the second most popular piece | of games hardware sold in Japan, according to Media Create. `---- http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html Recent: ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 92

  1. [News] A Million Linux-Capable PCs (PS3s) Sold in Small Nation

    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

    Recent:

    PS3 overtakes Wii in Japan

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some 55,924 PS3s were purchased in the week ending 11 November, compared to
    | 34,456 Wiis and just 5817 Xbox 360s. Clearly, the Halo 3 effect and
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | Microsoft's price cut have done their work. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11...wii_ps3_sales/

    Recent:

    Price cut boosts PlayStation 3 sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | U.S. sales of the PlayStation 3 more than doubled in the weeks after the
    | company slashed the video game console's price $100 and launched a low-end
    | model, Sony Corp. CEO Howard Stringer told The Associated Press Wednesday. ¬*
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/...ystation_sales

    ¬*
    PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
    | next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
    | videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
    | Web-based "Office 2.0" applications. ¬*
    |
    | IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
    | off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
    | show organizer. ¬*
    `----

    http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

    PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
    | time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
    | priced at $650.
    `----

    Astrophysicist Replaces Supercomputer with Eight PlayStation 3s

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The interest in the PS3 really was for two main reasons," explains Khanna, an
    | assistant professor at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth who
    | specializes in computational astrophysics. "One of those is that Sony did
    | this remarkable thing of making the PS3 an open platform, so you can in fact
    | run Linux on it and it doesn't control what you do." ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news..._supercomputer

    Old:

    Best New Console - Sony PlayStation 3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sony's embrace of the PS3 as a computer rather than just a console
    | and the availability of supported Linux distributions for the
    | console will also develop and will likely bear entirely unexpected
    | fruit in future.
    |
    | Runner-Up:
    | Nintendo Wii
    `----

    http://bestof.ign.com/2006/gear/1.html

    Sony's PS3 Could Still Outsell Microsoft's XBox 360 in 2006

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Should the Playstation 3 end up in second place this Christmas season,
    | Sony shouldn't feel too badly. The #1 selling console at the moment
    | remains the Playstation 3, which sold nearly a million units in
    | November, and will probably sell nearly double that in December.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/06...1_id.html?.v=1

    Strategy Analytics: The Pressure is on Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Research firm Strategy Analytics claims that with the PS3 now
    | launching the pressure is actually on Microsoft to convince
    | consumers and loyal PlayStation gamers to "switch camps."
    | Ultimately, the firm sees Sony trouncing the competition with
    | over 120 million units sold by 2012.
    `----

    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14480

  2. CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Oops. That was PSPs, not PS3s. Sorry about that.

  3. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Oops. That was PSPs, not PS3s. Sorry about that.

    It happens. I spotted it and removed it from the Digest, too.
    Sometimes fate is kind :-)

  4. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On Nov 27, 12:53 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > Oops. That was PSPs, not PS3s. Sorry about that.

    Either way, Linux capable does not mean Linux is being put on them.
    There are billions of Linux capable PCs out there that are running
    Windows. Fussing over PS3s is a lost cause. Get people to use Linux on
    their desktop instead.

  5. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    ____/ cc on Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:16 : \____

    > On Nov 27, 12:53 am, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >> Oops. That was PSPs, not PS3s. Sorry about that.

    > Either way, Linux capable does not mean Linux is being put on them.
    > There are billions of Linux capable PCs out there that are running
    > Windows. Fussing over PS3s is a lost cause. Get people to use Linux on
    > their desktop instead.

    People own these boxes and use them for a period of something like 5 years
    (judging by the PS2). Linux is always there, it's free, and it keeps improving
    rapidly (the various PS3 builds are not static). When PS3 owners get bored
    with the games they have bought, it's likely that some of them will try
    that 'free thingie' that turns their console into a PC which allows them to
    write documents and browser the Web on a large plasma screen with surround
    sound (as time goes by, TVs will improve also).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Software patents destroy innovation
    run-level 2 2007-10-30 19:49 last=

  6. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ cc on Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:16 : \____
    >
    >> On Nov 27, 12:53 am, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote:
    >>> Oops. That was PSPs, not PS3s. Sorry about that.

    >> Either way, Linux capable does not mean Linux is being put on them.
    >> There are billions of Linux capable PCs out there that are running
    >> Windows. Fussing over PS3s is a lost cause. Get people to use Linux on
    >> their desktop instead.

    > People own these boxes and use them for a period of something like 5 years
    > (judging by the PS2). Linux is always there, it's free, and it keeps improving
    > rapidly (the various PS3 builds are not static). When PS3 owners get bored
    > with the games they have bought, it's likely that some of them will try
    > that 'free thingie' that turns their console into a PC which allows them to
    > write documents and browser the Web on a large plasma screen with surround
    > sound (as time goes by, TVs will improve also).

    PS3s are turning up all over the place running linux for all kinds of
    uses. The popularity of the PS3 also serves to show that the death of
    the desktop gets ever nearer.

    Worrying about the desktop is fighting yesterday's battle.

  7. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Mark Kent writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ cc on Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:16 : \____

    >>> Either way, Linux capable does not mean Linux is being put on them.
    >>> There are billions of Linux capable PCs out there that are running
    >>> Windows. Fussing over PS3s is a lost cause. Get people to use Linux on
    >>> their desktop instead.

    >> People own these boxes and use them for a period of something like 5 years
    >> (judging by the PS2). Linux is always there, it's free, and it keeps improving
    >> rapidly (the various PS3 builds are not static). When PS3 owners get bored
    >> with the games they have bought, it's likely that some of them will try
    >> that 'free thingie' that turns their console into a PC which allows them to
    >> write documents and browser the Web on a large plasma screen with surround
    >> sound (as time goes by, TVs will improve also).
    >>

    > PS3s are turning up all over the place running linux for all kinds of
    > uses. The popularity of the PS3 also serves to show that the death of
    > the desktop gets ever nearer.

    The popularity of the PS3? I think you are confused. The PS3 has totally
    flopped not meating even the most pessimistic predictions. There is a
    line of thinking in Sony that it was because people heard it ran Linux
    and they would need to learn command stuff in order to run their games.

    > Worrying about the desktop is fighting yesterday's battle.

    I thought you wanted to advocate Linux. You have given up? Do not be so
    pessimistic. Linux has a chance still since most distros install mostly
    now and work a lot of times. It is good finally and NOW is the time to
    actively advocate it and help people with the inevitable issue they will
    find with Linux's poor HW support. Do not give up Mark! Now is the
    time. And even if we only get Linux up to 2.5% of the desktop it is
    STILL an improvement and something to celebrate.

  8. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On 29 Nov, 00:02, Peter Kršnkwonov wrote:

    > It is good finally and NOW is the time to
    > actively advocate it and help people with the inevitable issue they will
    > find with Linux's poor HW support.

    What are you on about "inevitable"? Seems to me that Linux has got
    pretty damn good hardware support. In the past year I installed
    Ubuntu on a laptop and 2 desktop machines and experienced /no/
    hardware problems.

    Sure, /some/ hardware may have problems, but it certainly isn't "most"
    any more.

  9. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    dapunka writes:

    > On 29 Nov, 00:02, Peter Kränkwonov wrote:
    >
    >> It is good finally and NOW is the time to
    >> actively advocate it and help people with the inevitable issue they will
    >> find with Linux's poor HW support.

    > What are you on about "inevitable"? Seems to me that Linux has got
    > pretty damn good hardware support. In the past year I installed
    > Ubuntu on a laptop and 2 desktop machines and experienced /no/
    > hardware problems.
    >
    > Sure, /some/ hardware may have problems, but it certainly isn't "most"
    > any more.

    Sorry maybe the wrong word. I mean that Windoze user will inevitably
    have problems since Windows supports more Hardware. I am sorry if I
    confused you.

  10. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:11:18 -0800 (PST), dapunka
    wrote:

    >On 29 Nov, 00:02, Peter Kršnkwonov wrote:
    >
    >> It is good finally and NOW is the time to
    >> actively advocate it and help people with the inevitable issue they will
    >> find with Linux's poor HW support.

    >What are you on about "inevitable"? Seems to me that Linux has got
    >pretty damn good hardware support. In the past year I installed
    >Ubuntu on a laptop and 2 desktop machines and experienced /no/
    >hardware problems.
    >
    >Sure, /some/ hardware may have problems, but it certainly isn't "most"
    >any more.

    Assuming you use Epson 9 pin dot matrix printers and Hercules graphics
    cards, Linux is a great choice.

  11. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Peter Kränkwonov writes:

    > dapunka writes:
    >
    >> On 29 Nov, 00:02, Peter Kränkwonov wrote:
    >>
    >>> It is good finally and NOW is the time to
    >>> actively advocate it and help people with the inevitable issue they will
    >>> find with Linux's poor HW support.

    >> What are you on about "inevitable"? Seems to me that Linux has got
    >> pretty damn good hardware support. In the past year I installed
    >> Ubuntu on a laptop and 2 desktop machines and experienced /no/
    >> hardware problems.
    >>
    >> Sure, /some/ hardware may have problems, but it certainly isn't "most"
    >> any more.

    > Sorry maybe the wrong word. I mean that Windoze user will inevitably
    > have problems since Windows supports more Hardware. I am sorry if I
    > confused you.

    Uh oh. You're in trouble now young bucko. I think you meant to say that
    more HW manufacturers support Windows. It's a picky point here in COLA.
    The end result is, of course, the same. But they don't see it that way.

  12. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    flatfish writes:

    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:11:18 -0800 (PST), dapunka
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 29 Nov, 00:02, Peter Kränkwonov wrote:
    >>
    >>> It is good finally and NOW is the time to
    >>> actively advocate it and help people with the inevitable issue they will
    >>> find with Linux's poor HW support.

    >>What are you on about "inevitable"? Seems to me that Linux has got
    >>pretty damn good hardware support. In the past year I installed
    >>Ubuntu on a laptop and 2 desktop machines and experienced /no/
    >>hardware problems.
    >>
    >>Sure, /some/ hardware may have problems, but it certainly isn't "most"
    >>any more.

    > Assuming you use Epson 9 pin dot matrix printers and Hercules graphics
    > cards, Linux is a great choice.

    They still make those HW things? I could not get my Lexmark working or
    my ATI card unfortunately but when I decided to ignore all the 3d stuff
    from Beryl and use "vesa" mode then everything worked. Slow, but it
    works. No one needs 3d stuff anyway for doing email and browsing the web
    which is what most Linux people do anyways.

  13. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On Nov 28, 6:51 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > ____/ cc on Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:16 : \____
    >
    > > On Nov 27, 12:53 am, Roy Schestowitz
    > > wrote:
    > >> Oops. That was PSPs, notPS3s. Sorry about that.

    > > Either way, Linux capable does not mean Linux is being put on them.
    > > There are billions of Linux capable PCs out there that are running
    > > Windows. Fussing overPS3sis a lost cause. Get people to use Linux on
    > > their desktop instead.

    > People own these boxes and use them for a period of something like 5 years
    > (judging by the PS2). Linux is always there, it's free, and it keeps improving
    > rapidly (the various PS3 builds are not static). When PS3 owners get bored
    > with the games they have bought, it's likely that some of them will try
    > that 'free thingie' that turns their console into a PC which allows them to
    > write documents and browser the Web on a large plasma screen with surround
    > sound (as time goes by, TVs will improve also).

    It is not likely, and it hasn't happened. The PS2 could run Linux too,
    and that didn't happen, and it was a much better seller. XBox360 is
    killing the PS3 right now, but they aren't going to be Windows
    machines either. They're used exclusively for game consoles.

  14. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On Nov 28, 8:44 am, Mark Kent wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >

    > > ____/ cc on Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:16 : \____

    > >> Either way, Linux capable does not mean Linux is being put on them.
    > >> There are billions of Linux capable PCs out there that are running
    > >> Windows. Fussing overPS3sis a lost cause. Get people to use Linux on
    > >> their desktop instead.

    > > People own these boxes and use them for a period of something like 5 years
    > > (judging by the PS2). Linux is always there, it's free, and it keeps improving
    > > rapidly (the various PS3 builds are not static). When PS3 owners get bored
    > > with the games they have bought, it's likely that some of them will try
    > > that 'free thingie' that turns their console into a PC which allows them to
    > > write documents and browser the Web on a large plasma screen with surround
    > > sound (as time goes by, TVs will improve also).

    > PS3sare turning up all over the place running linux for all kinds of
    > uses. The popularity of the PS3 also serves to show that the death of
    > the desktop gets ever nearer.

    Consoles have always been popular and it hasn't made a dent in the
    desktop market. People DON'T use consoles as desktops, and won't for
    the forseeable future. Also, the PS3 is not popular. Only now are
    games coming out that you couldn't get on the PS2. There is no earth
    shaking game exclusively for the PS3. Sony has frustrated the hell out
    of me. PS2 was awesome, but they really dropped the ball on this one.
    The PS3 was so royally ****ed that they fired it's chief architect!

    > Worrying about the desktop is fighting yesterday's battle.

    Mark, you're never right.

  15. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    ____/ cc on Thursday 29 November 2007 01:12 : \____

    > On Nov 28, 6:51 am, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >> ____/ cc on Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:16 : \____

    >> > Either way, Linux capable does not mean Linux is being put on them.
    >> > There are billions of Linux capable PCs out there that are running
    >> > Windows. Fussing overPS3sis a lost cause. Get people to use Linux on
    >> > their desktop instead.

    >> People own these boxes and use them for a period of something like 5 years
    >> (judging by the PS2). Linux is always there, it's free, and it keeps
    >> improving rapidly (the various PS3 builds are not static). When PS3 owners
    >> get bored with the games they have bought, it's likely that some of them
    >> will try that 'free thingie' that turns their console into a PC which allows
    >> them to write documents and browser the Web on a large plasma screen with
    >> surround sound (as time goes by, TVs will improve also).
    >>

    > It is not likely, and it hasn't happened. The PS2 could run Linux too,
    > and that didn't happen, and it was a much better seller. XBox360 is
    > killing the PS3 right now, but they aren't going to be Windows
    > machines either. They're used exclusively for game consoles.

    It's the Nintendo Wii that appears to be taking a comfortable lead. You're
    incorrect.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
    02:20:01 up 29 days, 6:18, 2 users, load average: 1.33, 1.30, 1.43

  16. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    ____/ dapunka on Thursday 29 November 2007 00:11 : \____

    > On 29 Nov, 00:02, Peter Kränkwonov wrote:
    >
    >> It is good finally and NOW is the time to
    >> actively advocate it and help people with the inevitable issue they will
    >> find with Linux's poor HW support.

    > What are you on about "inevitable"? Seems to me that Linux has got
    > pretty damn good hardware support. In the past year I installed
    > Ubuntu on a laptop and 2 desktop machines and experienced /no/
    > hardware problems.
    >
    > Sure, /some/ hardware may have problems, but it certainly isn't "most"
    > any more.

    Just to make sure you know, you're repling to a new flatfish nym.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | < http://debian.org >
    Mem: 515500k total, 444216k used, 71284k free, 2392k buffers

  17. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    * Peter Kršnkwonov fired off this tart reply:

    > flatfish writes:
    >>
    >> Assuming you use Epson 9 pin dot matrix printers and Hercules graphics
    >> cards, Linux is a great choice.

    Poor flatfish, you've run out of material.

    How can we help?

    > They still make those HW things? I could not get my Lexmark working or
    > my ATI card unfortunately but when I decided to ignore all the 3d stuff
    > from Beryl and use "vesa" mode then everything worked. Slow, but it
    > works. No one needs 3d stuff anyway for doing email and browsing the web
    > which is what most Linux people do anyways.

    Nah, they also do programming (all kinds of languages), UML (both
    user-mode linux and unified modelling language), run clusters and
    administer supercomputers, do audio-video recording and rendering,
    run physics experiments, write cell-phone software and router operating
    systems, ....

    You get the idea.

    --
    Tux rox!

  18. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    * cc fired off this tart reply:

    > It is not likely, and it hasn't happened. The PS2 could run Linux too,
    > and that didn't happen, and it was a much better seller. XBox360 is
    > killing the PS3 right now, but they aren't going to be Windows
    > machines either. They're used exclusively for game consoles.

    What's interesting is this:

    http://www.vgchartz.com/?dg=1

    In Japan, the PS3 and Wii are both kicking Xbox360's ass.

    In America, the Xbox360 is strong against the Wii and kicking the PS3's
    ass.

    Consumer patriotism? Marketing?

    --
    Tux rox!

  19. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On 2007-11-29, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ cc on Thursday 29 November 2007 01:12 : \____
    >> It is not likely, and it hasn't happened. The PS2 could run Linux too,
    >> and that didn't happen, and it was a much better seller. XBox360 is
    >> killing the PS3 right now, but they aren't going to be Windows
    >> machines either. They're used exclusively for game consoles.

    > It's the Nintendo Wii that appears to be taking a comfortable lead. You're
    > incorrect.

    He made a correct statement. 360 is doing much better than PS3.

    That Wii is doing best of all has no relevance to his statement.

  20. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ dapunka on Thursday 29 November 2007 00:11 : \____
    >
    >> On 29 Nov, 00:02, Peter Kršnkwonov wrote:
    >>
    >>> It is good finally and NOW is the time to
    >>> actively advocate it and help people with the inevitable issue they will
    >>> find with Linux's poor HW support.

    >> What are you on about "inevitable"? Seems to me that Linux has got
    >> pretty damn good hardware support. In the past year I installed
    >> Ubuntu on a laptop and 2 desktop machines and experienced /no/
    >> hardware problems.
    >>
    >> Sure, /some/ hardware may have problems, but it certainly isn't "most"
    >> any more.

    > Just to make sure you know, you're repling to a new flatfish nym.

    The nature of the trolls are so amazingly predictable.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast