[News] A Million Linux-Capable PCs (PS3s) Sold in Small Nation - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] A Million Linux-Capable PCs (PS3s) Sold in Small Nation - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz espoused: > ____/ cc on Thursday 29 November 2007 01:12 : \____ > >> On Nov 28, 6:51 am, Roy Schestowitz >> wrote: >>> ____/ cc on Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:16 : \____ >>> >>> > On ...

  1. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ cc on Thursday 29 November 2007 01:12 : \____
    >
    >> On Nov 28, 6:51 am, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote:
    >>> ____/ cc on Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:16 : \____

    >>> People own these boxes and use them for a period of something like 5 years
    >>> (judging by the PS2). Linux is always there, it's free, and it keeps
    >>> improving rapidly (the various PS3 builds are not static). When PS3 owners
    >>> get bored with the games they have bought, it's likely that some of them
    >>> will try that 'free thingie' that turns their console into a PC which allows
    >>> them to write documents and browser the Web on a large plasma screen with
    >>> surround sound (as time goes by, TVs will improve also).
    >>>

    >> It is not likely, and it hasn't happened. The PS2 could run Linux too,
    >> and that didn't happen, and it was a much better seller. XBox360 is
    >> killing the PS3 right now, but they aren't going to be Windows
    >> machines either. They're used exclusively for game consoles.

    > It's the Nintendo Wii that appears to be taking a comfortable lead. You're
    > incorrect.

    Indeed, and PS3 is selling very well too since the last price cut.
    Speaking to friends, it appears to be the christmas console of choice.
    All the figures I've seen show Xbox360 in big trouble.

  2. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 28 November 2007 08:46 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Oops. That was PSPs, not PS3s. Sorry about that.

    > It happens. I spotted it and removed it from the Digest, too.
    > Sometimes fate is kind :-)

    I wonder if the resemblance in names is purely coincidental (other than the
    PlayStation factor). Actually, never mind.... Portable... 3... nothing there.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    In a perfect world, all high-velocity impacts make fine orange juice

  3. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 29 November 2007 07:28 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ cc on Thursday 29 November 2007 01:12 : \____

    >>> It is not likely, and it hasn't happened. The PS2 could run Linux too,
    >>> and that didn't happen, and it was a much better seller. XBox360 is
    >>> killing the PS3 right now, but they aren't going to be Windows
    >>> machines either. They're used exclusively for game consoles.

    >> It's the Nintendo Wii that appears to be taking a comfortable lead. You're
    >> incorrect.
    >>

    > Indeed, and PS3 is selling very well too since the last price cut.
    > Speaking to friends, it appears to be the christmas console of choice.
    > All the figures I've seen show Xbox360 in big trouble.

    Unless you listen to WinTrolls (spin).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Microsoft loves competition.
    "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
    everything it touches."
    --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO
    08:05:01 up 29 days, 12:03, 3 users, load average: 1.46, 1.11, 1.03

  4. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On Nov 28, 9:25 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > ____/ cc on Thursday 29 November 2007 01:12 : \____
    >

    > > On Nov 28, 6:51 am, Roy Schestowitz
    > > wrote:
    > >> ____/ cc on Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:16 : \____

    > >> People own these boxes and use them for a period of something like 5 years
    > >> (judging by the PS2). Linux is always there, it's free, and it keeps
    > >> improving rapidly (the various PS3 builds are not static). When PS3 owners
    > >> get bored with the games they have bought, it's likely that some of them
    > >> will try that 'free thingie' that turns their console into a PC which allows
    > >> them to write documents and browser the Web on a large plasma screen with
    > >> surround sound (as time goes by, TVs will improve also).

    > > It is not likely, and it hasn't happened. The PS2 could run Linux too,
    > > and that didn't happen, and it was a much better seller. XBox360 is
    > > killing the PS3 right now, but they aren't going to be Windows
    > > machines either. They're used exclusively for game consoles.

    > It's the Nintendo Wii that appears to be taking a comfortable lead. You're
    > incorrect.

    You're correct about the Wii, but incorrect about me being incorrect.
    I said the XBox360 is doing much better than the PS3, no mention of
    Wii.

  5. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On Nov 28, 10:14 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * cc fired off this tart reply:
    >
    > > It is not likely, and it hasn't happened. The PS2 could run Linux too,
    > > and that didn't happen, and it was a much better seller. XBox360 is
    > > killing the PS3 right now, but they aren't going to be Windows
    > > machines either. They're used exclusively for game consoles.

    > What's interesting is this:
    >
    > http://www.vgchartz.com/?dg=1
    >
    > In Japan, the PS3 and Wii are both kicking Xbox360's ass.
    >
    > In America, the Xbox360 is strong against the Wii and kicking the PS3's
    > ass.
    >
    > Consumer patriotism? Marketing?

    No clue. Look at total sales though. Wii and XBox360 are doing way
    better. The point I was trying to make is not about sales. Hell,
    anyone with a search engine can find *my* predicition that the PS3
    would outsell them all. The point is, XBox360s aren't going to be
    Windows machines, PS3s and Wiis aren't going to be Linux machines. It
    is nice that the possibility is there, and a few of us dorks will do
    it (if a PS3 ever becomes worth buying, I'll definately do it), but
    most won't bother. Consoles are routinely discarded when something
    else comes out. Only recently has the trend been to be backwards
    compatible between console generations too. Couple that with the fact
    that the consoles aren't even being marketed as a desktop alternative,
    and you have a recipe for consoles just being used as consoles.

  6. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On Nov 29, 2:28 am, Mark Kent wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >

    > > ____/ cc on Thursday 29 November 2007 01:12 : \____

    > >> It is not likely, and it hasn't happened. The PS2 could run Linux too,
    > >> and that didn't happen, and it was a much better seller. XBox360 is
    > >> killing the PS3 right now, but they aren't going to be Windows
    > >> machines either. They're used exclusively for game consoles.

    > > It's the Nintendo Wii that appears to be taking a comfortable lead. You're
    > > incorrect.

    > Indeed, and PS3 is selling very well too since the last price cut.
    > Speaking to friends, it appears to be the christmas console of choice.
    > All the figures I've seen show Xbox360 in big trouble.

    Check out the link Linonut posted, and you'll see you're wrong. The
    price cut is a step in the right direction. Now get some games and
    you'll have me buying one.

  7. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On Nov 29, 3:06 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 29 November 2007 07:28 : \____
    >

    > > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > >> ____/ cc on Thursday 29 November 2007 01:12 : \____

    > >> It's the Nintendo Wii that appears to be taking a comfortable lead. You're
    > >> incorrect.

    > > Indeed, and PS3 is selling very well too since the last price cut.
    > > Speaking to friends, it appears to be the christmas console of choice.
    > > All the figures I've seen show Xbox360 in big trouble.

    > Unless you listen to WinTrolls (spin).

    Mark has seen figures that show the XBox360 is in trouble, so they
    must exist somewhere. Please tell me where I can find them.

  8. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Mark Kent writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ cc on Thursday 29 November 2007 01:12 : \____

    >>> It is not likely, and it hasn't happened. The PS2 could run Linux too,
    >>> and that didn't happen, and it was a much better seller. XBox360 is
    >>> killing the PS3 right now, but they aren't going to be Windows
    >>> machines either. They're used exclusively for game consoles.

    >> It's the Nintendo Wii that appears to be taking a comfortable lead. You're
    >> incorrect.
    >>

    > Indeed, and PS3 is selling very well too since the last price cut.
    > Speaking to friends, it appears to be the christmas console of choice.
    > All the figures I've seen show Xbox360 in big trouble.

    Which figures. Here in Germany you see very little space for PS3 because
    no one is buying them. My local store has huge before christmas Wii
    section and almost nothing for PS3. I think you might be wrong here.

  9. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Linonut writes:

    > * Peter Kränkwonov fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> flatfish writes:
    >>>
    >>> Assuming you use Epson 9 pin dot matrix printers and Hercules graphics
    >>> cards, Linux is a great choice.

    > Poor flatfish, you've run out of material.
    >
    > How can we help?
    >
    >> They still make those HW things? I could not get my Lexmark working or
    >> my ATI card unfortunately but when I decided to ignore all the 3d stuff
    >> from Beryl and use "vesa" mode then everything worked. Slow, but it
    >> works. No one needs 3d stuff anyway for doing email and browsing the web
    >> which is what most Linux people do anyways.

    > Nah, they also do programming (all kinds of languages), UML (both
    > user-mode linux and unified modelling language), run clusters and
    > administer supercomputers, do audio-video recording and rendering,
    > run physics experiments, write cell-phone software and router operating
    > systems, ....
    >
    > You get the idea.

    Yes. I am in agreement with you. No need for any of that 3d stuff. But
    most people do not do the things you listed but do do the things I
    listed. I have a cluster dedicated to analysing propeller
    turbulence. Very fast indeed.

  10. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    * Peter Kršnkwonov fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut writes:
    >>
    >> Nah, they also do programming (all kinds of languages), UML (both
    >> user-mode linux and unified modelling language), run clusters and
    >> administer supercomputers, do audio-video recording and rendering,
    >> run physics experiments, write cell-phone software and router operating
    >> systems, ....

    > Yes. I am in agreement with you. No need for any of that 3d stuff. But
    > most people do not do the things you listed but do do the things I
    > listed.

    Only three of the people I know just do basic consumer/user stuff on Linux.
    Most of them also do programming, and two also do MythTV.

    But you are right, consumers would stick with email, browsing, watching
    videos, listening to music (streaming radio is a godsend, for now),
    doing some OpenOffice/Abiword/Gnumeric/KDE Office documents, maybe a
    little peer-to-peer, and instant messaging.

    > I have a cluster dedicated to analysing propeller
    > turbulence. Very fast indeed.

    I'm getting an image of a propeller-hat here.

    --
    Tux rox!

  11. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    * cc fired off this tart reply:

    >> Consumer patriotism? Marketing?

    > No clue. Look at total sales though. Wii and XBox360 are doing way
    > better. The point I was trying to make is not about sales. Hell,
    > anyone with a search engine can find *my* predicition that the PS3
    > would outsell them all. The point is, XBox360s aren't going to be
    > Windows machines, PS3s and Wiis aren't going to be Linux machines. It
    > is nice that the possibility is there, and a few of us dorks will do
    > it (if a PS3 ever becomes worth buying, I'll definately do it), but
    > most won't bother.

    I agree.

    > Consoles are routinely discarded when something
    > else comes out.

    I dunno about that.

    But then, our family got out of the console market after Sega Genesis.

    (I have many fond memories of my daughter and I engaging in long "Sonic
    the HedgeHog" games.)

    > Only recently has the trend been to be backwards
    > compatible between console generations too. Couple that with the fact
    > that the consoles aren't even being marketed as a desktop alternative,
    > and you have a recipe for consoles just being used as consoles.

    Also, TV's don't make very good monitors. Even the HD screens are
    pretty ****ty unless they're also computer monitors.

    And the price point for LCD TV. My god, what a ripoff.

    --
    Tux rox!

  12. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Linonut wrote:
    > * cc fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >>> Consumer patriotism? Marketing?

    >> No clue. Look at total sales though. Wii and XBox360 are doing way
    >> better. The point I was trying to make is not about sales. Hell,
    >> anyone with a search engine can find *my* predicition that the PS3
    >> would outsell them all. The point is, XBox360s aren't going to be
    >> Windows machines, PS3s and Wiis aren't going to be Linux machines. It
    >> is nice that the possibility is there, and a few of us dorks will do
    >> it (if a PS3 ever becomes worth buying, I'll definately do it), but
    >> most won't bother.

    > I agree.
    >
    >> Consoles are routinely discarded when something
    >> else comes out.

    > I dunno about that.
    >
    > But then, our family got out of the console market after Sega Genesis.
    >
    > (I have many fond memories of my daughter and I engaging in long "Sonic
    > the HedgeHog" games.)
    >
    >> Only recently has the trend been to be backwards
    >> compatible between console generations too. Couple that with the fact
    >> that the consoles aren't even being marketed as a desktop alternative,
    >> and you have a recipe for consoles just being used as consoles.

    > Also, TV's don't make very good monitors. Even the HD screens are
    > pretty ****ty unless they're also computer monitors.
    >
    > And the price point for LCD TV. My god, what a ripoff.

    It just goes to show that they will charge whatever they can get away with.

    --

    Random Flatfish Nym:
    Peter Gluckman

  13. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Ben Miller-Jacobson writes:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    > It just goes to show that they will charge whatever they can get away
    > with.

    And you wouldn't?

  14. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Hadron wrote:
    > Ben Miller-Jacobson writes:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> It just goes to show that they will charge whatever they can get away
    >> with.

    > And you wouldn't?

    Well, I would like to think I would try to keep the prices reasonable,
    but in their position, I probably would, too. I'm kind of surprised that
    one of the companies hasn't lowered their prices to try and get a
    significant sales increase, though. It might be a bad idea long term,
    but there is never a shortage of idiots.

    --

    Random Flatfish Nym:
    Gary Stewart

  15. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Ben Miller-Jacobson wrote:

    >Hadron wrote:
    >> Ben Miller-Jacobson writes:
    >>
    >>> Linonut wrote:
    >>>
    >>> It just goes to show that they will charge whatever they can get away
    >>> with.

    >> And you wouldn't?
    >>

    >Well, I would like to think I would try to keep the prices reasonable,
    >but in their position, I probably would, too.

    No, you'd price your products where the supply and demand curves meet,
    just like every other reasonable businessman.

    LCD TV's are NOT a "rip off".

  16. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    Linonut espoused:
    > * Peter Kršnkwonov fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>>
    >>> Nah, they also do programming (all kinds of languages), UML (both
    >>> user-mode linux and unified modelling language), run clusters and
    >>> administer supercomputers, do audio-video recording and rendering,
    >>> run physics experiments, write cell-phone software and router operating
    >>> systems, ....

    >> Yes. I am in agreement with you. No need for any of that 3d stuff. But
    >> most people do not do the things you listed but do do the things I
    >> listed.

    > Only three of the people I know just do basic consumer/user stuff on Linux.
    > Most of them also do programming, and two also do MythTV.
    >
    > But you are right, consumers would stick with email, browsing, watching
    > videos, listening to music (streaming radio is a godsend, for now),
    > doing some OpenOffice/Abiword/Gnumeric/KDE Office documents, maybe a
    > little peer-to-peer, and instant messaging.
    >
    >> I have a cluster dedicated to analysing propeller
    >> turbulence. Very fast indeed.

    > I'm getting an image of a propeller-hat here.

    Going round veery veryy veerry quickly :-)

  17. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:21:19 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > Assuming you use Epson 9 pin dot matrix printers and Hercules graphics
    > cards, Linux is a great choice.

    You're still a stinky, lying troll, flatty, polluting COLA. Do you enjoy
    being despised as filth?

    --
    Kier

  18. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:28:08 +0000, Mark Kent
    wrote:

    >Indeed, and PS3 is selling very well too since the last price cut.
    >Speaking to friends, it appears to be the christmas console of choice.
    >All the figures I've seen show Xbox360 in big trouble.

    All the figures "you" have seen?
    How about sharing some of these figures with the rest of us.

    And BTW, you should kick Roy off the family computer because he is
    wasting their bandwidth.
    Do you guys split the broadband bill each month?

  19. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:29:56 +0000, Kier wrote:

    >On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:21:19 -0500, flatfish wrote:
    >

    >> Assuming you use Epson 9 pin dot matrix printers and Hercules graphics
    >> cards, Linux is a great choice.

    >You're still a stinky, lying troll, flatty, polluting COLA. Do you enjoy
    >being despised as filth?

    Not at all.
    At least I'm smart enough not to lick the boots of those who call me a
    troll or troll feeder, like Roy and Mark call you.

    Grow a spine Kier instead of caving in to these loonies.

  20. Re: CORRECTION: A Million PSPs Sold in Small Nation

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:45:52 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:29:56 +0000, Kier wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:21:19 -0500, flatfish wrote:
    >>

    >>> Assuming you use Epson 9 pin dot matrix printers and Hercules graphics
    >>> cards, Linux is a great choice.

    >>You're still a stinky, lying troll, flatty, polluting COLA. Do you enjoy
    >>being despised as filth?

    > Not at all.

    Then why not bugger off and leave us all in peace once and for all?

    > At least I'm smart enough not to lick the boots of those who call me a
    > troll or troll feeder, like Roy and Mark call you.

    You're not smart. A smart person would give up being a stinky troll and
    get some sort of life. Youy slag Roy for posting advocacy (however biased
    he might or might not be), but you spend hours and hours writing worthless
    filth. How does that make him more stupid and obsessed than *YOU*,
    repeatedly crawling back into COLA to spew the same tired lying **** for
    the thousandth time?

    > Grow a spine Kier instead of caving in to these loonies.

    Despising you for your filthy behaviour, stalking and other crimes has
    nothing to do with licking anyone's boot, you stinky little troll. I have
    criticised Roy in the past, and probably will again, for not being
    accurate enough in his posts. But at least I don't write slanderous filth
    about him, like you do. At least I don't trawl digg to gind adverse
    comments about him. At least I don't nymshift, lie, spew racist crap,
    trash Linux and act like an arsehole the way you do.

    --
    Kier