[News] [Rival] CNET Puts Windows Vista Among All-time Worst Products - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] CNET Puts Windows Vista Among All-time Worst Products - Linux ; Vista makes the list as one of the top-10 worst consumer tech products of all time ,----[ Quote ] | Pretty bad. But top ten of all time? That's mighty impressive. `---- http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad Longhorn and WHS could join the list ...

  1. [News] [Rival] CNET Puts Windows Vista Among All-time Worst Products

    Vista makes the list as one of the top-10 worst consumer tech products of all
    time

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Pretty bad. But top ten of all time? That's mighty impressive.
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Longhorn and WHS could join the list soon. See below. They share the same bad
    DNA.

    Related:

    Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
    | island which is paralysed by coups.
    |
    | In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
    | Vista has "high impact" problems.
    `----

    Longhorn Server Comes When?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But there are increasing signs Microsoft won't make its date.
    |
    | Windows Vista is good example of how the process works. Microsoft
    | makes subtle announcements that point to eventual delay.Then the
    | bomb drops. In November 2005, Microsoft canceled its scheduled
    | Vista CTP (Community Technology Preview) and stopped talking
    | about Beta 2 as, well, Beta 2. Microsoft's excuse: The Vista
    | development team had received so much feedback, Microsoft had
    | to throttle back test builds. Huh? Four months later, Microsoft
    | said that Vista would miss holiday 2006.
    `----

    Will Windows Home Server be Microsoft’s next flop?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you buy-off on the theory that the world seems to be heading in the
    | opposite direction that Microsoft wants to lead it, then you can’t help but
    | wonder what the long term prospects for an offering like Windows Home Server
    | are. Not good, if you ask me. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=791

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] CNET Puts Windows Vista Among All-time Worst Products

    [H]omer wrote:

    >> Vista makes the list as one of the top-10 worst consumer tech
    >> products of all time
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Pretty bad. But top ten of all time? That's mighty impressive.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    > It even beat WinME to the cut, which is bad enough, but to appear on the
    > same list as the Sinclair C5 must be a brutal humiliation.

    Hehe. Fabulous. However, I'd put a different spin on the "consumers
    demanded to downgrade" issue. The real issue, IMO, is Micro$oft "force it
    down their throats" philosophy.

    It's simply inexplicable that they can just say to their OEM customers
    "starting on this date, you will only sell the brand-new OS". Consumers
    should be given a choice, over some phase-in period, *obviously*. The
    brand-new OS is NOT going to be the best product, for large segments of
    the market, *obviously*.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] CNET Puts Windows Vista Among All-time Worst Products

    ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 28 November 2007 19:50 : \____

    >> Vista makes the list as one of the top-10 worst consumer tech
    >> products of all time
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Pretty bad. But top ten of all time? That's mighty impressive.
    >> `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    > It even beat WinME to the cut, which is bad enough, but to appear on the
    > same list as the Sinclair C5 must be a brutal humiliation.

    WinME runs /far/ more software.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Steve Ballmer is even monkier than his moniker suggests

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] CNET Puts Windows Vista Among All-time Worst Products

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:25:58 +0000, "[H]omer" wrote:

    >This is what is so unhealthy and perverted about the OEM lockin business
    >model.

    They are doing wonders with Thorozine these days.
    Please invstigate, Homer.
    Maybe if they catch the disease soon enough you might be saved.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] CNET Puts Windows Vista Among All-time Worst Products

    > By the way, did you use paradj to hyphenate and justify? I haven't
    > used it in years.

    No, I just choose my words carefully.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
    | Layer' when they go through our landfill sites." - Siân Berry,
    | Green Party. http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
    `----

    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7
    06:44:47 up 17 days, 3:38, 2 users, load average: 0.50, 0.32, 0.36

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] CNET Puts Windows Vista Among All-time Worst Products

    ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 29 November 2007 06:46 : \____

    >> By the way, did you use paradj to hyphenate and justify? I haven't
    >> used it in years.

    > No, I just choose my words carefully.

    I thought you were using a tool to automatically reformat the text, e.g.
    http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archiv...ify-hyphenate/

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Othello for free: http://othellomaster.com
    07:00:01 up 29 days, 10:58, 2 users, load average: 1.51, 1.69, 1.63

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] CNET Puts Windows Vista Among All-time Worst Products

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 28 November 2007 19:50 : \____

    >>> Vista makes the list as one of the top-10 worst consumer tech
    >>> products of all time
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad
    >>
    >> It even beat WinME to the cut, which is bad enough, but to appear on the
    >> same list as the Sinclair C5 must be a brutal humiliation.

    > WinME runs /far/ more software.

    Hmm, not sure how much software a C5 ever ran... personally, I always
    rather liked the idea of the C5, and I still see the odd one about
    occasionally, but it was very much a solution searching for a problem.