Real time Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Real time Linux - Linux ; Hi all, I've been developping real time applications for robot control on QNX for few years waiting for a good Linux Realtime distro. But I have not take time to get updated with linux realtime distro for the last 18 ...

  1. Real time Linux

    Hi all,

    I've been developping real time applications for robot control on QNX
    for few years waiting for a good Linux Realtime distro. But I have not
    take time to get updated with linux realtime distro for the last 18
    months. Has it change a lot? What distro free/commercial would you
    suggest? (Does it worth going with a commercial distro? Why?) I'm using
    some message passing on QNX. Are they available under Linux? If not, is
    there something similare under Linux?

    I use a RedHat Linux distro on my main desktop computer. I know a lot
    about Linux but not Linux Real Time.

    any advice are welcome.

    best regards,

    Jean

  2. Re: Real time Linux

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:45:40 +0000, Jean Cote wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been developping real time applications for robot control on QNX
    > for few years waiting for a good Linux Realtime distro. But I have not
    > take time to get updated with linux realtime distro for the last 18
    > months. Has it change a lot? What distro free/commercial would you
    > suggest? (Does it worth going with a commercial distro? Why?) I'm using
    > some message passing on QNX. Are they available under Linux? If not, is
    > there something similare under Linux?
    >
    > I use a RedHat Linux distro on my main desktop computer. I know a lot
    > about Linux but not Linux Real Time.
    >
    > any advice are welcome.
    >
    > best regards,
    >
    > Jean

    Well Jean, that depends on what processor/micro-controller you're
    developing for.

    If you're going to do anything embedded you're eventually going to end up
    using a commercial distro... unless you're a masochist.

    Try googling for "Linux RTOS"

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  3. Re: Real time Linux

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:45:40 +0000, Jean Cote wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I've been developping real time applications for robot control on QNX
    >>for few years waiting for a good Linux Realtime distro. But I have not
    >>take time to get updated with linux realtime distro for the last 18
    >>months. Has it change a lot? What distro free/commercial would you
    >>suggest? (Does it worth going with a commercial distro? Why?) I'm using
    >>some message passing on QNX. Are they available under Linux? If not, is
    >>there something similare under Linux?
    >>
    >>I use a RedHat Linux distro on my main desktop computer. I know a lot
    >>about Linux but not Linux Real Time.
    >>
    >>any advice are welcome.
    >>
    >>best regards,
    >>
    >>Jean

    > Well Jean, that depends on what processor/micro-controller you're
    > developing for.
    >
    > If you're going to do anything embedded you're eventually going to end up
    > using a commercial distro... unless you're a masochist.
    >
    > Try googling for "Linux RTOS"

    The final product runs on a rackmount PC x86.

    There is so many flavor os LinuxRT. Which one is better ou best and why?
    Can I compare them? Is there a good review about the different flavors.

    Thanks for your input,

    Jean

  4. Re: Real time Linux

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:06:10 +0000, Jean Cote wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >> On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:45:40 +0000, Jean Cote wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>I've been developping real time applications for robot control on QNX
    >>>for few years waiting for a good Linux Realtime distro. But I have not
    >>>take time to get updated with linux realtime distro for the last 18
    >>>months. Has it change a lot? What distro free/commercial would you
    >>>suggest? (Does it worth going with a commercial distro? Why?) I'm using
    >>>some message passing on QNX. Are they available under Linux? If not, is
    >>>there something similare under Linux?
    >>>
    >>>I use a RedHat Linux distro on my main desktop computer. I know a lot
    >>>about Linux but not Linux Real Time.
    >>>

    >> Well Jean, that depends on what processor/micro-controller you're
    >> developing for.
    >>
    >> If you're going to do anything embedded you're eventually going to end up
    >> using a commercial distro... unless you're a masochist.
    >>
    >> Try googling for "Linux RTOS"

    > The final product runs on a rackmount PC x86.
    >
    > There is so many flavor os LinuxRT. Which one is better ou best and why?
    > Can I compare them? Is there a good review about the different flavors.

    You might want to look at:
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/xstatic/elj/

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  5. Re: Real time Linux

    Jean Cote wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been developping real time applications for robot control on QNX
    > for few years waiting for a good Linux Realtime distro. But I have not
    > take time to get updated with linux realtime distro for the last 18
    > months. Has it change a lot? What distro free/commercial would you
    > suggest? (Does it worth going with a commercial distro? Why?) I'm using
    > some message passing on QNX. Are they available under Linux? If not, is
    > there something similare under Linux?
    >
    > I use a RedHat Linux distro on my main desktop computer. I know a lot
    > about Linux but not Linux Real Time.
    >
    > any advice are welcome.
    >
    > best regards,
    >
    > Jean

    May be this is helpful:

    http://www.ccur.com/isd_solutions_redhawklinux.asp?o9=1

    Regards,
    Walter

  6. Re: Real time Linux

    Thanks for the pointer Walter,

    Jean

    Walter A. Lüthi wrote:
    > Jean Cote wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I've been developping real time applications for robot control on QNX
    >>for few years waiting for a good Linux Realtime distro. But I have not
    >>take time to get updated with linux realtime distro for the last 18
    >>months. Has it change a lot? What distro free/commercial would you
    >>suggest? (Does it worth going with a commercial distro? Why?) I'm using
    >>some message passing on QNX. Are they available under Linux? If not, is
    >>there something similare under Linux?
    >>
    >>I use a RedHat Linux distro on my main desktop computer. I know a lot
    >>about Linux but not Linux Real Time.
    >>
    >>any advice are welcome.
    >>
    >>best regards,
    >>
    >>Jean