Oracle Virtual Server Unlikely to Blunt VMware

,----[ Quote ]
| He noted that Burlington Coat Factory is also evaluating whether to replace
| its SUSE Linux software with Oracle’s Unbreakable Linux implementation, which
| would give the company another reason to use Oracle VM.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head

Related:

Oracle's Unbreakable Linux tries to neutralize Microsoft apps

| Thus, a win for Linux is a win for Oracle as it immediately eliminates SQL
| Server, Exchange, and Visual Studio from the equation and increases the
| likelihood that a customer will choose Oracle software, Aslett said. *
|
| That's true regardless of whether customers choose Oracle Unbreakable Linux –
| or Red Hat. *
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...282940,00.html

Ellison on Microsoft abuses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssX4RL24HT4

Why does Larry Ellison have a Red Hat fetish?

,----[ Quote ]
| Larry doesn't understand open source. This isn't surprising since the people
| who report to him apparently don't, either (though I don't include Mike Olson
| in that crowd - he's a victim of golden handcuffs :-). Oracle desperately
| wants open source to be "just another tool" that it uses for IT domination.
| It's not. It actually has the opposite effect. * *
|
| Oracle just can't grok this.
|
| It wants to own the Linux kernel. It can't. It wanted to own JBoss. It
| couldn't. Open source is about controlling through sharing, but Oracle
| doesn't do the "share" thing very well. *
|
| And so we'll have to sporadically endure Mr. Ellison's ego pronouncing
| himself god of the Linux world, despite his Linux business being so anemic *
| that he won't break out its numbers. If the numbers are so great, report
| them, Mr. Ellison. (Having said this, it's important to note that Oracle
| stopped breaking out revenue by product line many years ago.) *
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9....html?tag=head

Ellison: 'Fusion Must Coexist'

,----[ Quote ]
| Ellison also acknowledged Red Hat's growth in "a healthy market" for both
| companies. "We're also doing something Red Hat isn't, which is shipping
| Oracle VM underneath our Linux offering so there is a single stack of code.
| If you have applications that run on Red Hat, it will run unchanged on
| Oracle's enterprise software." * *
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/ent...le.php/3711301

Larry Ellison thrashes Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| "At Oracle we've been in the Linux business for a year now," he said.
|
| "With the Red Hat code all we did for the first year was fix bugs. Now Oracle
| growing a lot faster than Red Hat. Red Hat's been growing too because it’s a
| growing market." *
`----

http://www.pcmag.co.uk/vnunet/news/2...n-aims-red-hat

OpenWorld: 1,500 companies adopt Oracle Unbreakable Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite Oracle's fast growth, Red Hat remains the top dog in the enterprise
| Linux market, with tens of thousands of subscribers to its support business.
| During its Q1 2008 call with analysts, Red Hat CEO Matthew Szulik said it
| added "multiple of thousands of customers" in that quarter alone. *
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...ntsrc=hm_topic
http://tinyurl.com/3djllc

Ellison touts Fusion Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle CEO Larry Ellison didn't display much of his traditional flamboyance
| Wednesday at Oracle's OpenWorld conference, but he did preview the company's
| next-generation Fusion Applications and said its Unbreakable Linux offering
| has met with initial success. *
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93428

OpenWorld: Oracle restricting app support to its own virtualization platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Buried under the surface of Oracle Corp.'s Monday announcement that it plans
| to get into the virtualization market is the fact that the company won't
| support its database and many other applications if they are running on
| virtualization software from VMware Inc., Microsoft Corp. or even Red Hat
| Inc. * *
|
| That effectively limits enterprise users who want to run their Oracle
| applications more efficiently through virtualization to just one platform:
| Oracle's new VM. *
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head
http://tinyurl.com/38yk8h

Oracle's mixed messages on "compatibility" with Red Hat Enterprise Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| No offense, Oracle, but if it looks like a fork, smells like a fork, and acts
| like a fork, it's a fork, and "fully compatible" is simply not a credible
| guarantee. You can't change someone else's code and crown it "fully
| compatible." *
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9772650-16.html

Oracle claims no Linux ulterior motive

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle is using LinuxWorld to try and calm concerns its Enterprise Linux and
| Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) will fork Red Hat and fragment the Linux
| market. *
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...e_uln_red_hat/

Oracle's got a giant Red Hat fork coming, says spaceman

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle's assault on Linux looks to take the shape of a fork in the near
| future, according to Canonical founder and Ubuntu chief Mark Shuttleworth.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07..._oscon_ubuntu/

Is Unbreakable a long-term Linux play?

,----[ Quote ]
| After initial cynicism I have been forced to rethink my opinion on a couple
| of occassions, notably Oracle's patent pledge, the naming of customers and
| the naming of partners, although I remain unconvinced that OEL is a long-term
| strategy for the company as opposed to an attempt to disrupt the market. *
|
| Linux is clearly a long-term commitment. Oracle Enterprise Linux? Not sure.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...eakable_1.html

Ubuntu chief: Oracle Linux has 'tactical value'

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle has the ability to support Linux, and doing so could
| have "tactical value" for the database company, the founder
| of Ubuntu Linux--and a potential Oracle partner--said Friday.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6128...8259&subj=news

Shuttleworth: Oracle-Ubuntu partnership only a matter of time

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.c...226514,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/yht7mk