Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade? - Linux ; In article , dennis@home wrote: > >Hardware upgrades are capital.. >software upgrades are revenue. Ummmmm, what do you base that on? Anything I spend to buy products to support business activities is an *expense* and comes right out of the ...

  1. Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade?

    In article ,
    dennis@home wrote:

    >Hardware upgrades are capital..
    >software upgrades are revenue.

    Ummmmm, what do you base that on? Anything I spend to buy
    products to support business activities is an *expense* and comes right
    out of the bottom line.

    >There are ongoing costs with software whether its free or not.

    Yes. Microsoft software is expensive to support. It
    can't be repaired only worked around, supplied patches often break
    existing behavior, and it's difficult to manage remotely.

    >This doesn't always work out to be the free software.

    Free software isn't free as in zero dollars. It's free as in
    unencumbered by onerous licensing and arbitrary restrictions on its use.
    That does indeed translate to "lower cost" if you need to do something
    the designer didn't think of.

  2. Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade?

    the wharf rat wrote:
    > In article ,
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>Hardware upgrades are capital..
    >>software upgrades are revenue.

    > Ummmmm, what do you base that on? Anything I spend to buy
    > products to support business activities is an *expense* and comes right
    > out of the bottom line.

    He learned his accounting practices at Enron evidently.

    Thad

+ Reply to Thread