Anyone using cfs (crypto filesystem)? - Linux

This is a discussion on Anyone using cfs (crypto filesystem)? - Linux ; I recently acquired the 1.4.0b cfs code originally written at AT&T but it doesn't seem to work on modern linux. The GNU compiler no longer recognizes the old k&r style so I dropped the -traditional flag and it does compile...but ...

  1. Anyone using cfs (crypto filesystem)?

    I recently acquired the 1.4.0b cfs code originally written at AT&T
    but it doesn't seem to work on modern linux. The GNU compiler no
    longer recognizes the old k&r style so I dropped the -traditional
    flag and it does compile...but

    when trying to create an encrypted directory with

    cfsd
    mount -o port=3049,intr localhost:/crypt /crypt

    then

    cmkdir -3 /image/secret

    the cmkdir program hangs in a cpu bound infinite loop after I enter my chosen
    passphrase.

    the machine is a 2.8Ghz Xeon and machines that fast weren't common when
    the code was written so even if the DES code is cpu intensive I shouldn't
    be waiting for TEN PLUS minutes for the program to finish.

    clues?

    I don't build the RSA stuff becuase I don't have the RSAREF code.

  2. Re: Anyone using cfs (crypto filesystem)?

    noone@uber.usachoice.net (Wiseguy) scribbled on the stall wall:
    > the cmkdir program hangs in a cpu bound infinite loop after I enter my chosen
    > passphrase.

    anyway, I think I know why it is hanging now. seems the old code uses
    a very antiquated method of generating randomness that doesn't work on
    modern PC architecture. the code was originally imlemented on a vax 11/780:
    quite a bit different hardware.

    next step: make it work with the supplied DES, 3DES, and blowfish
    ciphers, then see about putting in some stronger ciphers.