MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu - Linux

This is a discussion on MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu - Linux ; The Motion Picture of Association of America is urging some of the nation's largest universities to deploy custom software designed to pinpoint students who may be using the schools' networks to illegally download pirated movies. A closer look at the ...

  1. MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    The Motion Picture of Association of America is urging some of the
    nation's largest universities to deploy custom software designed to
    pinpoint students who may be using the schools' networks to illegally
    download pirated movies. A closer look at the MPAA's software,
    however, raises some serious privacy and security concerns for both
    the entertainment industry and the schools that choose to deploy the
    technology.

    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...t_opens_1.html

  2. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    * nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu fired off this tart reply:

    > The Motion Picture of Association of America is urging some of the
    > nation's largest universities to deploy custom software designed to
    > pinpoint students who may be using the schools' networks to illegally
    > download pirated movies. A closer look at the MPAA's software,
    > however, raises some serious privacy and security concerns for both
    > the entertainment industry and the schools that choose to deploy the
    > technology.
    >

    > http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...t_opens_1.html

    Why would anyone pirate a movie? They're cheaper than CDs now.

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    On Nov 25, 7:00 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu fired off this tart reply:
    >

    > > The Motion Picture of Association of America is urging some of the
    > > nation's largest universities to deploy custom software designed to
    > > pinpoint students who may be using the schools' networks to illegally
    > > download pirated movies. A closer look at the MPAA's software,
    > > however, raises some serious privacy and security concerns for both
    > > the entertainment industry and the schools that choose to deploy the
    > > technology.
    > >

    > >http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur..._university_to...

    > Why would anyone pirate a movie? They're cheaper than CDs now.
    >
    > --
    > Tux rox!

    Nobody is pirating movies.
    Ticket sales and the like are down because
    a) Movies today suck
    b) Movies today blow
    c) Movies today bite
    etc.

    A little known fact, but the movies that are pirated are usually done
    with copies made of official 'pre-release' discs sent out to critics
    and the like for review.

    Ticket sales are down because nobody wants to shell out $11.00 per
    person at the theatre to listen to the asshole behind yelling at the
    screen while the girl beside him yaks on the cellphone with her
    girlfriend who's actually four rows in front.
    Not to mention, but I don't go to the movies strictly because of the
    stunned cunts that have no olfactory senses and don't realize that
    they're gassing out the whole theatre with their friggen Essence du
    Wal-Mart.

  4. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    Linonut wrote:

    > Why would anyone pirate a movie? They're cheaper than CDs now.

    If I really want to see a movie I catch it at the budget theater
    for a buck. If I like enough to see it more than once than its
    worth it to buy the DVD.

    Damn I am a cheap bastard! >

    Thad

  5. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:54:58 -0800, bobbie wrote:

    > On Nov 25, 7:00 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> * ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu fired off this tart reply:
    >>

    >> > The Motion Picture of Association of America is urging some of the
    >> > nation's largest universities to deploy custom software designed to
    >> > pinpoint students who may be using the schools' networks to illegally
    >> > download pirated movies. A closer look at the MPAA's software,
    >> > however, raises some serious privacy and security concerns for both
    >> > the entertainment industry and the schools that choose to deploy the
    >> > technology.
    >> >

    >> >http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2007/11/

    mpaa_university_to...

    >> Why would anyone pirate a movie? They're cheaper than CDs now.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tux rox!

    > Nobody is pirating movies.
    > Ticket sales and the like are down because a) Movies today suck
    > b) Movies today blow
    > c) Movies today bite
    > etc.

    You forgot d) Movies today have the content of a twinkie.

    > A little known fact, but the movies that are pirated are usually done
    > with copies made of official 'pre-release' discs sent out to critics and
    > the like for review.
    >

    > Ticket sales are down because nobody wants to shell out $11.00 per
    > person at the theatre to listen to the asshole behind yelling at the
    > screen while the girl beside him yaks on the cellphone with her
    > girlfriend who's actually four rows in front.

    There are some movies that are worth going to the movies for, but they
    are few and far between. I'm not going to a movie theatre to watch a
    movie that's mostly dialogue. I mean, what's the point? I don't need a
    20' screen to watch people talk. But an action movie, sure. That might be
    worth it.

    > Not to mention, but I
    > don't go to the movies strictly because of the stunned cunts that have
    > no olfactory senses and don't realize that they're gassing out the whole
    > theatre with their friggen Essence du Wal-Mart.

    Is that what that was... I thought someone had urinated in the theatre.

  6. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> Why would anyone pirate a movie? They're cheaper than CDs now.

    > If I really want to see a movie I catch it at the budget theater
    > for a buck. If I like enough to see it more than once than its
    > worth it to buy the DVD.

    I've found that I don't have the ability to sit still for the time it
    takes to watch a movie, unless trapped in a theater.

    So its football (both varieties) in the background while I monkey about
    with code or commentary.

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    bobbie wrote:

    >Ticket sales are down because nobody wants to shell out $11.00 per
    >person at the theatre to listen to the asshole behind yelling at the
    >screen while the girl beside him yaks on the cellphone with her
    >girlfriend who's actually four rows in front.

    And having to sit through a half-hour of commercials and previews
    before the movie starts.

    I'm paying to get-in here, and I'm having my time wasted watching
    commercials?

  8. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    * chrisv fired off this tart reply:

    > bobbie wrote:
    >
    >>Ticket sales are down because nobody wants to shell out $11.00 per
    >>person at the theatre to listen to the asshole behind yelling at the
    >>screen while the girl beside him yaks on the cellphone with her
    >>girlfriend who's actually four rows in front.

    > And having to sit through a half-hour of commercials and previews
    > before the movie starts.
    >
    > I'm paying to get-in here, and I'm having my time wasted watching
    > commercials?

    It's "bread-and-circuses" all over again. We're just eyeballs with
    wallets, and any good stuff (or at least fun stuff) we see on the tube
    exists only to attract our eyeballs long enough so that inertia keeps
    them stuck there while funds are extracted from our wallets.

    "And now a word from our sponsor, Septimus Maximus, maker of fine
    chariots." Cue to visual of the face of a charioteer, his hair waving
    as he scans the horizon in a lordly manner.

    --
    Tux rox!

  9. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    "bobbie" wrote in message
    > On Nov 25, 7:00 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> * ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu fired off this tart reply:
    >>

    >> > The Motion Picture of Association of America is urging some of the
    >> > nation's largest universities to deploy custom software designed to
    >> > pinpoint students who may be using the schools' networks to illegally
    >> > download pirated movies. A closer look at the MPAA's software,
    >> > however, raises some serious privacy and security concerns for both
    >> > the entertainment industry and the schools that choose to deploy the
    >> > technology.
    >> >

    >> >http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur..._university_to...

    >> Why would anyone pirate a movie? They're cheaper than CDs now.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tux rox!

    > Nobody is pirating movies.
    > Ticket sales and the like are down because
    > a) Movies today suck
    > b) Movies today blow
    > c) Movies today bite
    > etc.
    >
    > A little known fact, but the movies that are pirated are usually done
    > with copies made of official 'pre-release' discs sent out to critics
    > and the like for review.
    >

    > Ticket sales are down because nobody wants to shell out $11.00 per
    > person at the theatre to listen to the asshole behind yelling at the
    > screen while the girl beside him yaks on the cellphone with her
    > girlfriend who's actually four rows in front.
    > Not to mention, but I don't go to the movies strictly because of the
    > stunned cunts that have no olfactory senses and don't realize that
    > they're gassing out the whole theatre with their friggen Essence du
    > Wal-Mart.

    Seems circular to me. If you don't go to the movies, how would you know
    that? Are you paid to clean up after the show is over or something?

  10. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    On Nov 26, 3:11 am, alt wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:54:58 -0800, bobbie wrote:
    > > On Nov 25, 7:00 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > >> * ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu fired off this tart reply:

    > mpaa_university_to...
    >

    > >> Why would anyone pirate a movie? They're cheaper than CDs now.

    > >> --
    > >> Tux rox!

    > > Nobody is pirating movies.
    > > Ticket sales and the like are down because a) Movies today suck
    > > b) Movies today blow
    > > c) Movies today bite
    > > etc.

    > You forgot d) Movies today have the content of a twinkie.

    Everything current sucks! Everything in the past was better! Nostalgia
    seems to make everyone forget just how ****ty they thought everything
    was at that time as well.

  11. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    * amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

    >> Ticket sales are down because nobody wants to shell out $11.00 per
    >> person at the theatre to listen to the asshole behind yelling at the
    >> screen while the girl beside him yaks on the cellphone with her
    >> girlfriend who's actually four rows in front.
    >> Not to mention, but I don't go to the movies strictly because of the
    >> stunned cunts that have no olfactory senses and don't realize that
    >> they're gassing out the whole theatre with their friggen Essence du
    >> Wal-Mart.

    > Seems circular to me. If you don't go to the movies, how would you know
    > that? Are you paid to clean up after the show is over or something?

    You're not much up to speed on the Human Experience, are you?

    You should try it sometime.

    --
    Tux rox!

  12. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:41:14 -0500, Ben Miller-Jacobson wrote:

    > IMHO, tv and movies mostly aim for the least common denominator, and
    > therefor suck to anyone with at least the intelligence of three of a
    > certain president (meaning they are not _completely_ retarded).
    >
    > TV is dead. Long live the internet.

    I hate to say this, but the internet is no better.

  13. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    * alt fired off this tart reply:

    > On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:41:14 -0500, Ben Miller-Jacobson wrote:
    >
    >> IMHO, tv and movies mostly aim for the least common denominator, and
    >> therefor suck to anyone with at least the intelligence of three of a
    >> certain president (meaning they are not _completely_ retarded).
    >>
    >> TV is dead. Long live the internet.

    > I hate to say this, but the internet is no better.

    Oh, just wait until Microsoft finishes proprietizing the internet with
    ..NET servers....

    You'll be pining for the good old daze of rampant flash plugins, bad
    javascript, and grotesque Ajax interfaces.

    --
    Tux rox!

  14. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:10:47 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > * alt fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:41:14 -0500, Ben Miller-Jacobson wrote:
    >>
    >>> IMHO, tv and movies mostly aim for the least common denominator, and
    >>> therefor suck to anyone with at least the intelligence of three of a
    >>> certain president (meaning they are not _completely_ retarded).
    >>>
    >>> TV is dead. Long live the internet.

    >> I hate to say this, but the internet is no better.

    > Oh, just wait until Microsoft finishes proprietizing the internet with
    > .NET servers....
    >
    > You'll be pining for the good old daze of rampant flash plugins, bad
    > javascript, and grotesque Ajax interfaces.

    maybe I'll just stick to ftp, nntp and good old fashioned http 1.0

  15. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    alt wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:10:47 -0500, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * alt fired off this tart reply:

    >>> I hate to say this, but the internet is no better.

    >> Oh, just wait until Microsoft finishes proprietizing the internet with
    >> .NET servers....
    >>
    >> You'll be pining for the good old daze of rampant flash plugins, bad
    >> javascript, and grotesque Ajax interfaces.

    > maybe I'll just stick to ftp, nntp and good old fashioned http 1.0

    If it truely gets that bad, so will I. I doubt it will, however. .NET
    sucks, and even some of the wintrolls admit it.

  16. Re: MPAA "toolkit" built on Ubuntu

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 23:11:19 -0500, Ben Miller-Jacobson wrote:

    > alt wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:10:47 -0500, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * alt fired off this tart reply:

    >>> Oh, just wait until Microsoft finishes proprietizing the internet with
    >>> .NET servers....
    >>>
    >>> You'll be pining for the good old daze of rampant flash plugins, bad
    >>> javascript, and grotesque Ajax interfaces.

    >> maybe I'll just stick to ftp, nntp and good old fashioned http 1.0

    > If it truely gets that bad, so will I. I doubt it will, however. .NET
    > sucks, and even some of the wintrolls admit it.

    Never underestimate the efforts of a predatory, illegal monopoly.

+ Reply to Thread