Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade? - Linux ; "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in message news:26pu15-as5.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net... > Does Linux allow for such a model? No. It's not > controlled tightly enough, outside the kernel level. That would be one of linux's stumbling blocks. If you do want ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade?

    > Does Linux allow for such a model? No. It's not
    > controlled tightly enough, outside the kernel level.

    That would be one of linux's stumbling blocks.
    If you do want to use linux you may have to take control of the source and
    manage the changes so that you can ensure your product meets the
    requirements.
    Now if it just an office system its easy as OS changes aren't usually going
    to have much impact.
    However if its say a real-time reactor control system you can't let some
    bunch of amateurs change the code when and where they feel like it as they
    just don't know what effects the changes may have on your product.
    The result is that you may run "Linux" but it isn't the Linux everyone
    downloads in distros.
    Your Linux would be several version out of date and have specific changes.
    So anyone that claims these odd systems run Linux is being economical with
    the truth.. they may have started with Linux but it isn't Linux and probably
    never will be again.

    Take one of the systems I was on the design team for.. it was found that
    mutexes took a lot of effort.. so we designed a few bits of logic and made
    an area of RAM into read and clear memory ( you wrote a value, when you read
    it it would be set to zero by the hardware, so if you read any value other
    than zero you had the lock) to replace mutexes. You would be amazed at how
    much junk that removed from the code.. this is engineering not what the
    Linux zealots think is engineering.

    I wouldn't be surprised if it appeared in an Intel CPU now I have mentioned
    it here, they are always after ideas. ;-)

  2. Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade?

    * dennis@home fired off this tart reply:

    > Your Linux would be several version out of date and have specific changes.
    > So anyone that claims these odd systems run Linux is being economical with
    > the truth.. they may have started with Linux but it isn't Linux and probably
    > never will be again.

    Unless, of course, you GPL your changes for distribution.

    > Take one of the systems I was on the design team for.. it was found that
    > mutexes took a lot of effort.. so we designed a few bits of logic and made
    > an area of RAM into read and clear memory ( you wrote a value, when you read
    > it it would be set to zero by the hardware, so if you read any value other
    > than zero you had the lock) to replace mutexes. You would be amazed at how
    > much junk that removed from the code.. this is engineering not what the
    > Linux zealots think is engineering.

    Your attitude is bad; how can you lump smart and dumb people into one
    term?

    > I wouldn't be surprised if it appeared in an Intel CPU now I have mentioned
    > it here, they are always after ideas. ;-)

    Yeah, I'm sure the concept above is still considered groundbreaking
    after all these years. Yeesh. That kind of stuff existed in the 1980's
    on programmable IBM PC adapter cards.

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade?

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    > * dennis@home fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Your Linux would be several version out of date and have specific
    >> changes.
    >> So anyone that claims these odd systems run Linux is being economical
    >> with
    >> the truth.. they may have started with Linux but it isn't Linux and
    >> probably
    >> never will be again.

    > Unless, of course, you GPL your changes for distribution.

    Which doesn't give you any control whatsoever, the changes may end up in
    linux, they may not..
    So even if you gpl it you still have to maintain your own code base.
    All gpl does is give your competitor access to your code.. it doesn't save
    you any work once you have chosen a distro to start with.
    It does save your competitor work if you solve the problems first.

    >> Take one of the systems I was on the design team for.. it was found that
    >> mutexes took a lot of effort.. so we designed a few bits of logic and
    >> made
    >> an area of RAM into read and clear memory ( you wrote a value, when you
    >> read
    >> it it would be set to zero by the hardware, so if you read any value
    >> other
    >> than zero you had the lock) to replace mutexes. You would be amazed at
    >> how
    >> much junk that removed from the code.. this is engineering not what the
    >> Linux zealots think is engineering.

    > Your attitude is bad; how can you lump smart and dumb people into one
    > term?

    ???

    >> I wouldn't be surprised if it appeared in an Intel CPU now I have
    >> mentioned
    >> it here, they are always after ideas. ;-)

    > Yeah, I'm sure the concept above is still considered groundbreaking
    > after all these years. Yeesh. That kind of stuff existed in the 1980's
    > on programmable IBM PC adapter cards.

    That's ok I predate them.
    I even had a patent that Intel probably infringed with their apic design,
    but the company decided to let it lapse for some reason.

  4. Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade?

    dennis@home wrote:

    < snip >

    >> Yeah, I'm sure the concept above is still considered groundbreaking
    >> after all these years. Yeesh. That kind of stuff existed in the 1980's
    >> on programmable IBM PC adapter cards.

    > That's ok I predate them.
    > I even had a patent that Intel probably infringed with their apic design,
    > but the company decided to let it lapse for some reason.

    A *patent* on such a crappy idea?
    Even the USPO isn't stupid enough to issue a patent on such garbage
    --
    You're not my type. For that matter, you're not even my species

  5. Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade?

    * dennis@home fired off this tart reply:

    >>> the truth.. they may have started with Linux but it isn't Linux and
    >>> probably never will be again.

    >> Unless, of course, you GPL your changes for distribution.

    > Which doesn't give you any control whatsoever, the changes may end up
    > in linux, they may not.. So even if you gpl it you still have to
    > maintain your own code base. All gpl does is give your competitor
    > access to your code.. it doesn't save you any work once you have
    > chosen a distro to start with. It does save your competitor work if
    > you solve the problems first.

    Indeed. Of course, it could be that your "competitor" really just wants
    to be your ally, so you both (and your customers) could benefit.

    I know, a fantasy. Can't ever come true in this world, can it?

    >> Yeah, I'm sure the concept above is still considered groundbreaking
    >> after all these years. Yeesh. That kind of stuff existed in the 1980's
    >> on programmable IBM PC adapter cards.

    > That's ok I predate them.
    > I even had a patent that Intel probably infringed with their apic design,
    > but the company decided to let it lapse for some reason.

    Heh.

    --
    Tux rox!

  6. Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade?

    * Peter Köhlmann fired off this tart reply:

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >
    > < snip >
    >
    >>> Yeah, I'm sure the concept above is still considered groundbreaking
    >>> after all these years. Yeesh. That kind of stuff existed in the 1980's
    >>> on programmable IBM PC adapter cards.

    >> That's ok I predate them.
    >> I even had a patent that Intel probably infringed with their apic design,
    >> but the company decided to let it lapse for some reason.

    > A *patent* on such a crappy idea?
    > Even the USPO isn't stupid enough to issue a patent on such garbage

    And they say Rex is a confabulist.

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade?

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    > * dennis@home fired off this tart reply:

    >>> Unless, of course, you GPL your changes for distribution.

    >> Which doesn't give you any control whatsoever, the changes may end up
    >> in linux, they may not.. So even if you gpl it you still have to
    >> maintain your own code base. All gpl does is give your competitor
    >> access to your code.. it doesn't save you any work once you have
    >> chosen a distro to start with. It does save your competitor work if
    >> you solve the problems first.

    > Indeed. Of course, it could be that your "competitor" really just wants
    > to be your ally, so you both (and your customers) could benefit.
    >
    > I know, a fantasy. Can't ever come true in this world, can it?

    Not since Britain told America about metal fatigue and its effects on
    aircraft after finding out why the Comets crashed and let Boeing become
    world leader. I don't recall any other area where a competitor has given
    away secrets just to save lives.

  8. Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade?

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 22:14:33 GMT, ed wrote:

    >ProfGene wrote:
    >> linuxlover66@gmail.com wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You should upgrade to Linux and fully utilize the excellent hardware
    >>> you have.
    >>> Running total OpenSource software is really the only way to get the
    >>> freedom from proprietary constraints.
    >>> Why pay $200 for Vista when you can get Ubuntu for free?
    >>>
    >>> Your hardware will scream with Linux.
    >>>

    >> If you don't have any problem stick with what you have until you do have
    >> problems. You should only upgrade if you think there is a real benefit
    >> from it. XP is fine until you need something else in the future which
    >> might not be supported by it.

    >I don't agree fully, but I do in part. There is very good reason to move
    >to a platform that is free. It sounds like the author is a programmer,
    >and as such would benefit from the abundance of programming tools
    >available to UNIX-like systems.
    >
    >If the user is using visual sudio, then going one of two ways would be
    >ideal, either Eclipse or gcc/gdb/gvim might suit the user.
    >
    >Obviously if the user is only making windows software then it's ideal
    >for hir to continue with a windows testing platform somewhere. Depends
    >on the user. If it's college work then I suggest the UNIX-like approach.
    >
    >Also, on another subject of testing. The multi user capabilities of
    >ctl-alt-fN makes multiple sessions very usable.

    The free software does not have the support that Windows has and
    will result in constant frustration.

    >But looking to the future, saving 200$ every couple on years ON JUST the
    >OS makes the free systems very feasible.

    Why did you put the $ after the number?

    You should turn that off.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    I do not represent atheists or atheism

  9. Re: Is It Worth It To Upgrade?

    * Barry OGrady fired off this tart reply:

    > The free software does not have the support that Windows has and
    > will result in constant frustration.

    Free software has the /same/ support system as Windows. Can you say
    Google? Or will it cause you to throw a chair at someone?

    Speaking of constant frustration, it seems to be a common thread in
    Vista, so common, in fact, that Apple uses it as marketing material.

    --
    Vista Excels! Get it? Get it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2