[News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows' - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows' - Linux ; Linux Wizard - Votre ressource Linux !! ,----[ Quote ] | Last but not least, Free software world need to innovate and provide a | different experience. They should stop going after an hypothetic cloning of | Windows to ease ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    Linux Wizard - Votre ressource Linux !!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last but not least, Free software world need to innovate and provide a
    | different experience. They should stop going after an hypothetic cloning of
    | Windows to ease migration. If the system is well done and provide unique
    | features with a good price, people will switch.
    `----

    http://www.linux-wizard.net/index.php?id_blog=170

    Related:

    Windows Tech Writers Wrong About Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | - Xandros and Linspire are so much like Windows in overall feel that it's
    | painful.
    |
    | - Using any Debian-based distribution to install softare is actually easier
    | than using Install Shield and Add/Remove. Software management, discovery and
    | installation is light years easier than with Windows.
    `----

    http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...633&Itemid=449

    Ubuntu Must 'Play To Its Strengths" to Beat Microsoft

    ,----[ Quore ]
    | You can't out-Windows Windows, he says. Defining and playing to Ubuntu's
    | strengths are what will make free software succeed on the desktop.
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...-must-pla.html

    New RP-developed Linux 'looks, feels' like Windows XP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Department of Science and Technology-Advanced Science and
    | Technology (DOST-ASTI) recently launched the Bayanihan Linux
    | version 4 (BL4) and this time, it looks more like Microsoft
    | Windows XP than the Macintosh OS.
    |
    | BL4 is now based on Linux Debian Stable, unlike the previous
    | version that used Fedora. Likewise, BL4 uses the KDE graphical
    | user interface that gives it a Microsoft Windows XP look.
    `----

    http://www.asianjournal.com/?c=190&a=19140

  2. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Linux Wizard - Votre ressource Linux !!
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Last but not least, Free software world need to innovate and provide a
    > | different experience. They should stop going after an hypothetic cloning
    > | of Windows to ease migration. If the system is well done and provide
    > | unique features with a good price, people will switch.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linux-wizard.net/index.php?id_blog=170

    I think the quote
    "
    Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'
    "

    says so much more about Linux than whatever many anti-Linux
    shills and analyists were claiming about Linux.
    There is so much more that Linux does that just isn't on
    the radar with any other operating systems today.

    I was in a meeting a few days ago about product development.
    Every choice rested on embedded Linux and
    Desktop Linux and you know what every
    product development system supported by that global corporation
    had 100% Linux support. That was a big surprise because they
    almost didn't qualify because they didn't shout out loud enough
    that they had fully qualified Linux development systems!
    I had already purchased two dev systems from a competitor
    because they didn't shout about it.

  3. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    7 writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Linux Wizard - Votre ressource Linux !!
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Last but not least, Free software world need to innovate and provide a
    >> | different experience. They should stop going after an hypothetic cloning
    >> | of Windows to ease migration. If the system is well done and provide
    >> | unique features with a good price, people will switch.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-wizard.net/index.php?id_blog=170

    > I think the quote
    > "
    > Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'
    > "
    >
    > says so much more about Linux than whatever many anti-Linux
    > shills and analyists were claiming about Linux.

    It certainly says more about fools like you who think it will "just get
    there". Ut wont unless advocacy is stepped up and it gets some decent
    desktop SW and gaming support.

    > There is so much more that Linux does that just isn't on
    > the radar with any other operating systems today.

    It does a lot well. And a lot not too well.

    > I was in a meeting a few days ago about product development.
    > Every choice rested on embedded Linux and
    > Desktop Linux and you know what every
    > product development system supported by that global corporation
    > had 100% Linux support. That was a big surprise because they
    > almost didn't qualify because they didn't shout out loud enough
    > that they had fully qualified Linux development systems!
    > I had already purchased two dev systems from a competitor
    > because they didn't shout about it.

    One can almost see you with your fingers crossed when you start this
    waffle.

  4. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    "7" wrote in message
    news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...

    > I think the quote
    > "
    > Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'
    > "
    >
    > says so much more about Linux than whatever many anti-Linux
    > shills and analyists were claiming about Linux.
    > There is so much more that Linux does that just isn't on
    > the radar with any other operating systems today.

    Name one thing

  5. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious berger wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    Corporation due to an accidental receivement of a PISTA laptop:

    > "7" wrote in message
    > news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    >>
    >> I think the quote
    >> "
    >> Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'
    >> "
    >>
    >> says so much more about Linux than whatever many anti-Linux
    >> shills and analyists were claiming about Linux.
    >> There is so much more that Linux does that just isn't on
    >> the radar with any other operating systems today.
    >>

    > Name one thing

    1. Free source code to do anything you want.

  6. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'CheapWindows'

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:46:50 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "7" wrote in message
    > news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    >>
    >> I think the quote
    >> "
    >> Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows' "
    >>
    >> says so much more about Linux than whatever many anti-Linux shills and
    >> analyists were claiming about Linux. There is so much more that Linux
    >> does that just isn't on the radar with any other operating systems
    >> today.

    IMO, "free as in beer" is much underrated here. Yes there are better
    reasons to use OSS, but free-as-in-beer will hook far more consumers than
    some weird cathedral-and-bazaar explanation.

    > Name one thing

    Install hundreds or even thousands of applications from a single menu.

    Update those hundreds or even thousands of installed applications with
    just a few mouseclicks.

    If you want to customize an application, download the source code with a
    few mouseclicks and have the necessary toolchain automatically downloaded
    and installed along with it.

    Save all the applications you've installed and updated to a CD by copying
    a directory. On later installations, reinstall them all with a single
    command without having to re-download anything. Or, save a computer-
    generated list of installed applications and updates, and use it to
    download and install them all with a single command.

    Copy the whole filesystem over to a totally different make/model of
    computer - and have it all 'just work' without having to reinstall
    anything, activate anything, or pay anything.

  7. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'CheapWindows'

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "7" wrote in message
    > news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    >>
    >> I think the quote
    >> "
    >> Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'
    >> "
    >>
    >> says so much more about Linux than whatever many anti-Linux
    >> shills and analyists were claiming about Linux.
    >> There is so much more that Linux does that just isn't on
    >> the radar with any other operating systems today.
    >>

    > Name one thing

    *yawn*

    *plonk*

  8. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    ____/ Ben Miller-Jacobson on Sunday 25 November 2007 23:28 : \____

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >> "7" wrote in message
    >> news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    >>>
    >>> I think the quote
    >>> "
    >>> Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'
    >>> "
    >>>
    >>> says so much more about Linux than whatever many anti-Linux
    >>> shills and analyists were claiming about Linux.
    >>> There is so much more that Linux does that just isn't on
    >>> the radar with any other operating systems today.
    >>>

    >> Name one thing
    >>>

    > *yawn*
    >
    > *plonk*

    What too you so long? amicus_curious (Bill Weisgerber) never even *used* Linux,
    so he wouldn't know about the joys of apt-get for example. He doesn't belong
    here because any connection between him and Linux is coincidental. He is a
    paid Microsoft PR person for all I can tell. He does this elsewhere too.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit

  9. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    spinner wrote:
    > Copy the whole filesystem over to a totally different make/model of
    > computer - and have it all 'just work' without having to reinstall
    > anything, activate anything, or pay anything.

    Yes, I particularly like that. I recently took an out of state consulting
    contract. Turned on NFS on my main workstation, mounted the the /home
    partition from my laptop, dragged my user directory over, and I'm up and
    running with all my old application settings intact. Sweet.

    Thad

  10. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    "spinner" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:46:50 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> "7" wrote in message
    >> news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    >>>
    >>> I think the quote
    >>> "
    >>> Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows' "
    >>>
    >>> says so much more about Linux than whatever many anti-Linux shills and
    >>> analyists were claiming about Linux. There is so much more that Linux
    >>> does that just isn't on the radar with any other operating systems
    >>> today.

    > IMO, "free as in beer" is much underrated here. Yes there are better
    > reasons to use OSS, but free-as-in-beer will hook far more consumers than
    > some weird cathedral-and-bazaar explanation.

    Windows is free as well, since it comes with each new computer.

    >> Name one thing

    > Install hundreds or even thousands of applications from a single menu.
    >
    > Update those hundreds or even thousands of installed applications with
    > just a few mouseclicks.
    >
    > If you want to customize an application, download the source code with a
    > few mouseclicks and have the necessary toolchain automatically downloaded
    > and installed along with it.
    >
    > Save all the applications you've installed and updated to a CD by copying
    > a directory. On later installations, reinstall them all with a single
    > command without having to re-download anything. Or, save a computer-
    > generated list of installed applications and updates, and use it to
    > download and install them all with a single command.
    >
    > Copy the whole filesystem over to a totally different make/model of
    > computer - and have it all 'just work' without having to reinstall
    > anything, activate anything, or pay anything.

    So Linux appeals to those who want to play with computers but does nothing
    else.

  11. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    "7" wrote in message
    news:ten2j.53303$c_1.23855@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    > Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious berger wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    > Corporation due to an accidental receivement of a PISTA laptop:
    >

    >> "7" wrote in message
    >> news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    >>>
    >>> I think the quote
    >>> "
    >>> Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'
    >>> "
    >>>
    >>> says so much more about Linux than whatever many anti-Linux
    >>> shills and analyists were claiming about Linux.
    >>> There is so much more that Linux does that just isn't on
    >>> the radar with any other operating systems today.
    >>>

    >> Name one thing

    > 1. Free source code to do anything you want.

    And how many care about that?

  12. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    7 writes:

    > Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious berger wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    > Corporation due to an accidental receivement of a PISTA laptop:
    >

    >> "7" wrote in message
    >> news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    >>>
    >>> I think the quote
    >>> "
    >>> Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'
    >>> "
    >>>
    >>> says so much more about Linux than whatever many anti-Linux
    >>> shills and analyists were claiming about Linux.
    >>> There is so much more that Linux does that just isn't on
    >>> the radar with any other operating systems today.
    >>>

    >> Name one thing

    > 1. Free source code to do anything you want.

    You still don't understand the difference between OSS and Linux do you?

    Hilarious.

    --
    La buena hilandera en invierno acaba la tela.
    -- Refrán.

  13. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'CheapWindows'

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:11:01 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "spinner" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:46:50 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> "7" wrote in message
    >>> news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...

    >> IMO, "free as in beer" is much underrated here. Yes there are better
    >> reasons to use OSS, but free-as-in-beer will hook far more consumers
    >> than some weird cathedral-and-bazaar explanation.
    >>

    > Windows is free as well, since it comes with each new computer.

    Wrong. And note that I was talking about open source software, not just
    Linux.

    >>> Name one thing

    >> Install hundreds or even thousands of applications from a single menu.
    >>
    >> Update those hundreds or even thousands of installed applications with
    >> just a few mouseclicks.
    >>
    >> If you want to customize an application, download the source code with
    >> a few mouseclicks and have the necessary toolchain automatically
    >> downloaded and installed along with it.
    >>
    >> Save all the applications you've installed and updated to a CD by
    >> copying a directory. On later installations, reinstall them all with a
    >> single command without having to re-download anything. Or, save a
    >> computer- generated list of installed applications and updates, and use
    >> it to download and install them all with a single command.
    >>
    >> Copy the whole filesystem over to a totally different make/model of
    >> computer - and have it all 'just work' without having to reinstall
    >> anything, activate anything, or pay anything.
    >>

    > So Linux appeals to those who want to play with computers but does
    > nothing else.

    No, Linux is for people who value their time.

  14. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'CheapWindows'

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:13:58 +0000, spinner wrote:

    > IMO, "free as in beer" is much underrated here. Yes there are better
    > reasons to use OSS, but free-as-in-beer will hook far more consumers
    > than some weird cathedral-and-bazaar explanation.

    In my experience, every time I've gone with a "free as in beer" solution
    I've regretted it due to incompatabilities, missing features or lock-in.
    With GPL'ed software even if it's incompatible or missing features
    there's no lock-in, and I expect either an alternative to be better or
    for rapid improvement. My experience.

    So, I would argue that once a person is exposed to actually-free
    software, and what it means, that they will appreciate it more. I
    wouldn't want to see all software FOSS, but things like drivers, the OS,
    etc, yeah.

    -Thufir

  15. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    spinner wrote:

    > On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:11:01 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> "spinner" wrote in message

    >>> IMO, "free as in beer" is much underrated here. Yes there are better
    >>> reasons to use OSS, but free-as-in-beer will hook far more consumers
    >>> than some weird cathedral-and-bazaar explanation.
    >>>

    >> Windows is free as well, since it comes with each new computer.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!! Is this bozo *serious*?!?

    > Wrong. And note that I was talking about open source software, not just
    > Linux.

    >>> Install hundreds or even thousands of applications from a single menu.
    >>>
    >>> Update those hundreds or even thousands of installed applications with
    >>> just a few mouseclicks.
    >>>
    >>> If you want to customize an application, download the source code with
    >>> a few mouseclicks and have the necessary toolchain automatically
    >>> downloaded and installed along with it.
    >>>
    >>> Save all the applications you've installed and updated to a CD by
    >>> copying a directory. On later installations, reinstall them all with a
    >>> single command without having to re-download anything. Or, save a
    >>> computer- generated list of installed applications and updates, and use
    >>> it to download and install them all with a single command.
    >>>
    >>> Copy the whole filesystem over to a totally different make/model of
    >>> computer - and have it all 'just work' without having to reinstall
    >>> anything, activate anything, or pay anything.
    >>>

    >> So Linux appeals to those who want to play with computers but does
    >> nothing else.

    > No, Linux is for people who value their time.

    And who aren't constantly worrying about malware, & adware, & having to defrag
    drives... etc.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 2

  16. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer Hadron wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Crocporation:

    > 7 writes:
    >
    >> Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious berger wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    >> Corporation due to an accidental receivement of a PISTA laptop:
    >>

    >>> "7" wrote in message
    >>> news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...

    >>> Name one thing

    >> 1. Free source code to do anything you want.
    >>

    > You still don't understand the difference between OSS and Linux do you?
    >
    > Hilarious.

    And of course you do. Which should be even more hilarious to you.

  17. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "7" wrote in message
    > news:ten2j.53303$c_1.23855@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    >> Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious berger wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    >> Corporation due to an accidental receivement of a PISTA laptop:
    >>

    >>> "7" wrote in message
    >>> news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...

    >>> Name one thing

    >> 1. Free source code to do anything you want.
    >>

    > And how many care about that?

    A million people a month switching to Linux.
    And the rate is increasing.

  18. Re: Spliffing windummy retards

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    Crocporatio:

    > "spinner" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:46:50 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> "7" wrote in message
    >>> news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...

    >> IMO, "free as in beer" is much underrated here. Yes there are better
    >> reasons to use OSS, but free-as-in-beer will hook far more consumers than
    >> some weird cathedral-and-bazaar explanation.
    >>

    > Windows is free as well, since it comes with each new computer.

    You are spliffing and hallucinating again you windummy retard!

  19. Re: Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    On Nov 26, 5:50 pm, 7 wrote:
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    > > "7" wrote in message
    > >news:ten2j.53303$c_1.23855@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    > >> Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious berger wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    > >> Corporation due to an accidental receivement of a PISTA laptop:

    > >> 1. Free source code to do anything you want.

    > > And how many care about that?

    > A million people a month switching to Linux.
    > And the rate is increasing.

    Dear 7,

    You're a ****ing retard.

    Love,
    Alan Cox

  20. Re: Spliffing windummy retards

    ____/ 7 on Monday 26 November 2007 23:02 : \____

    > Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    > Crocporatio:
    >

    >> "spinner" wrote in message

    >>> IMO, "free as in beer" is much underrated here. Yes there are better
    >>> reasons to use OSS, but free-as-in-beer will hook far more consumers than
    >>> some weird cathedral-and-bazaar explanation.
    >>>

    >> Windows is free as well, since it comes with each new computer.

    > You are spliffing and hallucinating again you windummy retard!

    No, no pipes. Just Redmond Kool-Aid and cash.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I think I think, therefore I think I am"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast