[News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows' - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows' - Linux ; On 2007-11-26, amicus_curious wrote: > > "spinner" wrote in message > news:13kk0dm6thopr1f@news.supernews.com... >> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:46:50 -0500, amicus_curious wrote: >> >>> "7" wrote in message >>> news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk... >>>> >>>> I think the quote >>>> " >>>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    On 2007-11-26, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "spinner" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:46:50 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> "7" wrote in message
    >>> news:IIl2j.53264$c_1.34349@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...

    >> IMO, "free as in beer" is much underrated here. Yes there are better
    >> reasons to use OSS, but free-as-in-beer will hook far more consumers than
    >> some weird cathedral-and-bazaar explanation.
    >>

    > Windows is free as well, since it comes with each new computer.
    >>>>
    >>> Name one thing

    >> Install hundreds or even thousands of applications from a single menu.
    >>
    >> Update those hundreds or even thousands of installed applications with
    >> just a few mouseclicks.
    >>
    >> If you want to customize an application, download the source code with a
    >> few mouseclicks and have the necessary toolchain automatically downloaded
    >> and installed along with it.
    >>
    >> Save all the applications you've installed and updated to a CD by copying
    >> a directory. On later installations, reinstall them all with a single
    >> command without having to re-download anything. Or, save a computer-
    >> generated list of installed applications and updates, and use it to
    >> download and install them all with a single command.
    >>
    >> Copy the whole filesystem over to a totally different make/model of
    >> computer - and have it all 'just work' without having to reinstall
    >> anything, activate anything, or pay anything.
    >>

    > So Linux appeals to those who want to play with computers but does nothing
    > else.

    That's just classic.

    So now people that don't want to be inconvenienced after a hardware
    upgrade "just play with computers"...

    Great Lemming logic.

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    7 writes:

    > Micoshaft Asstroturfer Hadron wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Crocporation:
    >
    >> 7 writes:
    >>
    >>> Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious berger wrote on behalf of Micoshaft
    >>> Corporation due to an accidental receivement of a PISTA laptop:

    >>> 1. Free source code to do anything you want.
    >>>

    >> You still don't understand the difference between OSS and Linux do you?
    >>
    >> Hilarious.

    > And of course you do. Which should be even more hilarious to you.

    As usual you make no sense.

  3. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    "7" wrote in message
    news:k5I2j.53778$c_1.7277@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >

    >> "7" wrote in message
    >> news:ten2j.53303$c_1.23855@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    >>> Micoshaft Asstroturfer amicus_curious berger wrote on behalf of
    >>> Micoshaft
    >>> Corporation due to an accidental receivement of a PISTA laptop:

    >>> 1. Free source code to do anything you want.
    >>>

    >> And how many care about that?

    > A million people a month switching to Linux.
    > And the rate is increasing.

    Sure they are and sure it is. Bet your savings on it.

  4. Re: Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    cc wrote:
    > snip distasteful and idiotic personal attack

    You know, I know an Alan Cox IRL. He is also stupid and unpleasant to be
    near. Are you one and the same, perhaps? Any chance you live in or near
    Yellow Springs, Ohio?

    (curiosity is why I am not plonking you yet)

  5. Re: Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    On Nov 27, 5:32 pm, Ben Miller-Jacobson
    wrote:
    > cc wrote:
    >
    > > snip distasteful and idiotic personal attack

    > You know, I know an Alan Cox IRL. He is also stupid and unpleasant to be
    > near. Are you one and the same, perhaps? Any chance you live in or near
    > Yellow Springs, Ohio?
    >
    > (curiosity is why I am not plonking you yet)

    Solihull, England. Plonk away.

  6. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    spinner wrote:

    > No, Linux is for people who value their time.

    har!

    Linux is the biggest time waster there is in computing (by an order of
    magnitude I would estimate), and the bigger the "advocate" the more time
    they waste shuffling distros and tweaking and configuring and hunting down
    (cr)apps trying to convince themselves it's better than Windows/commercial
    systems.

  7. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 00:09:40 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > spinner wrote:
    >
    >> No, Linux is for people who value their time.

    > har!
    >
    > Linux is the biggest time waster there is in computing (by an order of
    > magnitude I would estimate), and the bigger the "advocate" the more time
    > they waste shuffling distros and tweaking and configuring and hunting down
    > (cr)apps trying to convince themselves it's better than Windows/commercial
    > systems.

    Funny, I don't seem to have done that. Install, set up, add desired
    software, use.... and use.... and use....

    --
    Kier

  8. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    Kier wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 00:09:40 -0500, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> spinner wrote:
    >>
    >>> No, Linux is for people who value their time.

    >> har!
    >>
    >> Linux is the biggest time waster there is in computing (by an order of
    >> magnitude I would estimate), and the bigger the "advocate" the more time
    >> they waste shuffling distros and tweaking and configuring and hunting
    >> down (cr)apps trying to convince themselves it's better than
    >> Windows/commercial systems.

    > Funny, I don't seem to have done that. Install, set up, add desired
    > software, use.... and use.... and use....

    Same here.
    My main work horse is still running on SuSE10.0 (64bit).
    The current version is 10.3, but I see no compelling reason to upgrade,
    since *everything* (all hardware) just works the way it should
    --
    Windows: Because everyone needs a good laugh!

  9. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    * Peter Köhlmann fired off this tart reply:

    > Kier wrote:

    >>> Linux is the biggest time waster there is in computing (by an order of
    >>> magnitude I would estimate), and the bigger the "advocate" the more time
    >>> they waste shuffling distros and tweaking and configuring and hunting
    >>> down (cr)apps trying to convince themselves it's better than
    >>> Windows/commercial systems.

    >> Funny, I don't seem to have done that. Install, set up, add desired
    >> software, use.... and use.... and use....

    > Same here.
    > My main work horse is still running on SuSE10.0 (64bit).
    > The current version is 10.3, but I see no compelling reason to upgrade,
    > since *everything* (all hardware) just works the way it should

    Well, no statement is too outrageous for DFS to make it. Over and over
    and over again.

    Microsoft is not a monopoly; never was and never will be.

    Peter and Linonut are Windows developers for life.

    OpenOffice is slow, useless crap.

    Open source is nothing but slopware.

    Open source coders are all careless amateurs.

    I never troll.

    I'll leave off the racist and truly insulting stuff. The above list of
    laughers ought to be enough for now.

    --
    Tux rox!

  10. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    Peter Koehlmann wrote:

    > Same here.
    > My main work horse is still running on SuSE10.0 (64bit).
    > The current version is 10.3, but I see no compelling reason to upgrade,
    > since *everything* (all hardware) just works the way it should

    Ditto. I just set up Ubuntu and let the software updater do its
    magic keeping everything up to date. No install hassles, no
    tweaking, just rock solid stability and ease of use. Of course
    that won't stop wintrolls from repeat the tired old stereotypes
    that have no resemblance to modern Linux distributions. Doesn't
    matter... this 'niche' operating system has grown to the point
    that no amount of FUD can kill it.

    Thad

  11. Re: [News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:33:25 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    wrote:

    >Same here.
    >My main work horse is still running on SuSE10.0 (64bit).
    >The current version is 10.3, but I see no compelling reason to upgrade,
    >since *everything* (all hardware) just works the way it should

    Yet you earn your living programming Windows.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....acc798a?hl=en&

    Hypocrite.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2