Right Place? - Linux

This is a discussion on Right Place? - Linux ; Is this the right place to ask about SuSE problems? I inadvertently erased a specialized SuSE newsgroup and now I can't find it in the list provided by my ISP. Thanks djtuchler...

  1. Right Place?

    Is this the right place to ask about SuSE problems? I inadvertently
    erased a specialized SuSE newsgroup and now I can't find it in the list
    provided by my ISP.

    Thanks

    djtuchler

  2. Re: Right Place?

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > Is this the right place to ask about SuSE problems? I inadvertently
    > erased a specialized SuSE newsgroup and now I can't find it in the list
    > provided by my ISP.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > djtuchler

    alt.os.linux.suse

  3. Re: Right Place?

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 16:52:21 +0000, Larry I Smith wrote:

    > Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >> Is this the right place to ask about SuSE problems? I inadvertently
    >> erased a specialized SuSE newsgroup and now I can't find it in the list
    >> provided by my ISP.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> djtuchler

    > alt.os.linux.suse

    Apparently, my ISP no longer subscribes to it; I can't find it on the list
    of newsgroups in Pan. I hope I can ask SuSe-specific questions here.

    dj tuchler

  4. Re: Right Place?

    * Dennis J. Tuchler wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > On Sat, 07 May 2005 16:52:21 +0000, Larry I Smith wrote:

    >> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >>> Is this the right place to ask about SuSE problems? I inadvertently
    >>> erased a specialized SuSE newsgroup and now I can't find it in the list
    >>> provided by my ISP.

    >>> Thanks

    >>> djtuchler

    >> alt.os.linux.suse

    > Apparently, my ISP no longer subscribes to it; I can't find it on the list
    > of newsgroups in Pan. I hope I can ask SuSe-specific questions here.

    > dj tuchler

    Did you tell PAN to go out and get the list of newsgroups again?
    --
    David
    Why won't sharks eat lawyers? Professional courtesy.

  5. Re: Right Place?

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

    >>alt.os.linux.suse

    > Apparently, my ISP no longer subscribes to it; I can't find it on the list
    > of newsgroups in Pan. I hope I can ask SuSe-specific questions here.

    Re-download the list again, and if it's not on it request your ISP to
    add it; any decent ISP will do so.

    www.gentoo.org - not just for geeks anymore.

  6. Re: Right Place?

    In article , Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

    >>> Is this the right place to ask about SuSE problems?

    This is usenet - do what you want. You would probably have a better
    visibility if you asked in the regular 'comp.os.linux.* ' newsgroups.

    >Apparently, my ISP no longer subscribes to it; I can't find it on the list
    >of newsgroups in Pan.

    [compton ~]$ grep -w suse .newsrc
    alt.fr.os.suse free.linux.suse
    alt.linux.suse germanynet.lists.suse
    alt.os.linux.suse germanynet.lists.suse.isdn
    boerde.lists.suse-security gmane.linux.suse.general
    comp.os.linux.suse gmane.linux.suse.general.german
    cz.comp.linux.suse wlp.mail2news.suse-security
    free.it.linux.suse
    [compton ~]$

    That's the current list from my provider (giganews). But notice that
    'comp.os.linux.suse' (like this group 'comp.os.linux') is not considered
    a "valid" newsgroup, which would be required on compliant news servers.
    See 'List of Big Eight Newsgroups' posted to news.announce.newgroups,
    news.groups, and news.lists.misc on the 15th of every month. All that
    means is that less people will see your post.

    >I hope I can ask SuSe-specific questions here.

    Did you search a http://groups.google.com first? If you had, you would
    probably already have found your answer.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread