[News] [OT] M/S Explorer is Sinking - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [OT] M/S Explorer is Sinking - Linux ; Stricken Antarctic ship evacuated ,----[ Quote ] | The M/S Explorer is now lying on its side close to the South Shetland | Islands, in the Antarctic Ocean `---- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7108835.stm Related: Critical IE Graphics Flaw Resurfaces ,----[ Quote ] | ...

  1. [News] [OT] M/S Explorer is Sinking

    `----

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7108835.stm

    Related:

    Critical IE Graphics Flaw Resurfaces

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's bad enough when crooks exploit bugs to ruin a home computer,
    | but the consequences of a successful attack can be much worse.
    | A substitute teacher in Norwich, Connecticut, found that out when
    | a computer she was using in her classroom suddenly started showing
    | pornographic pop-up ads to everyone in the class. She now faces up
    | to 40 years in prison after being convicted of willfully showing
    | her students the images. A security expert hired by her defense,
    | however, says he found malicious software on the PC.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/1283...Fkgjhv9oEDW7oF

    Recent:

    My Secure ISP drops support for Internet Explorer!!!!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My Secure ISP has provided point and click SSH support for years for major
    | browsers even on Linux. A MySecureISP spokesman noted in the press
    | release, "If MS would have provided an open, secure plugin architecture we
    | wouldnt be in this mess we have no choice but to drop support for IE" We
    | strongly encourage our subscribers to switch to Firefox * *
    `----

    http://digg.com/security/My_Secure_I...ernet_Explorer

  2. Re: [News] [OT] M/S Explorer is Sinking

    ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 24 November 2007 22:56 : \____

    >> Stricken Antarctic ship evacuated
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The M/S Explorer is now lying on its side close to the South
    >> | Shetland Islands, in the Antarctic Ocean
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7108835.stm

    > From the caption: "The M/S Explorer has been listing for hours"
    >
    > Reboooooooot!

    Fire in Ze Hol!!!!!!!

    US Navy malware infection risked submarine prang

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Richard F Sylvestre, from Massachusetts, installed malware on a
    | computer network at the Italian HQ of the US 6th Fleet, America's
    | standing taskforce in the Mediterranean.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04...iens_likelier/

    Crash strike caution

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.theage.com.au/news/securi...971018555.html

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE)

  3. Re: [News] [OT] M/S Explorer is Sinking

    --
    PeKaJe

    All truths are true to an extend, including this one. -XA

  4. Re: [News] [OT] M/S Explorer is Sinking

    ____/ Peter Kai Jensen on Sunday 25 November 2007 11:57 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Stricken Antarctic ship evacuated
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The M/S Explorer is now lying on its side close to the South Shetland
    >>| Islands, in the Antarctic Ocean
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7108835.stm

    > And amongst penguins, of all things ...

    Explorer can't face the IceWeasels... and IceDoves... and polar bears (KBear).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | $> apt-get -not windows
    Mem: 515500k total, 396488k used, 119012k free, 7676k buffers

  5. Re: [News] [OT] M/S Explorer is Sinking

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Peter Kai Jensen on Sunday 25 November 2007 11:57 : \____

    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Stricken Antarctic ship evacuated
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7108835.stm

    >> And amongst penguins, of all things ...

    > Explorer can't face the IceWeasels... and IceDoves... and polar bears (KBear).

    On a more serious note, it appears that all passengers and crew have
    been safely rescued. Sea disasters are relatively rare now - I wonder
    if the bell at Lloyds is ever rung?

  6. Re: [News] [OT] M/S Explorer is Sinking

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Peter Kai Jensen on Sunday 25 November 2007 11:57 : \____

    >>> And amongst penguins, of all things ...

    >> Explorer can't face the IceWeasels... and IceDoves... and polar bears
    >> (KBear).
    >>

    > On a more serious note, it appears that all passengers and crew have
    > been safely rescued. Sea disasters are relatively rare now

    No, they aren't. There were several those last years. It does not need to be
    a cruise ship.
    Remember "Herald of Free Enterprise"? That was just one of the bad ones,
    with several dead, in europe

    Each year we have had *at* *least* one real bad sea disaster with ferries.
    Indonesia is especially bad.

    If one also counts cargo ships, then on average one is lost each month
    worldwide

    > - I wonder if the bell at Lloyds is ever rung?

    /quote from wikipedia
    In the great Underwriting Room of Lloyd's stands the Lutine Bell, which was
    struck when the fate of a ship “overdue” at its destination port became
    known. If the ship was safe, the bell would be rung twice: if it had sunk,
    the bell would be rung once. (This had the practical purpose of immediately
    stopping the sale or purchase of “overdue” reinsurance on that vessel.)

    Now it is only rung for ceremonial purposes, such as the visit of a
    distinguished guest (two rings), or for the annual Remembrance Day service;
    and for major world catastrophes, such as 9/11 and the Asian Tsunami
    Disaster (one ring).
    /unquote

    --
    Your conscience never stops you from doing anything. It just stops you
    from enjoying it.

  7. Re: [News] [OT] M/S Explorer is Sinking

    Peter Kai Jensen wrote:

    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The M/S Explorer is now lying on its side close to the South Shetland
    >>| Islands, in the Antarctic Ocean
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7108835.stm

    >And amongst penguins, of all things ...

    8)

  8. Re: [News] [OT] M/S Explorer is Sinking

+ Reply to Thread