Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean,formated HD? - Linux

This is a discussion on Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean,formated HD? - Linux ; On Nov 26, 1:00 pm, Linonut wrote: > Bull****, pure and simple. The thrill of Linux comes from many sources, > depending on who is using it. 1% of the computing population is using it. > > Your thrill with ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean,formated HD?

    On Nov 26, 1:00 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > Bull****, pure and simple. The thrill of Linux comes from many sources,
    > depending on who is using it.

    1% of the computing population is using it.

    > Your thrill with it comes from using it to make fun of its users,
    > certainly a callow and ignoble motive.

    Trying to deprogram you. Not working.

    > Perhaps you imbibe too much of the product of your friend and namesake,
    > Pepe Lopez?

    The tequila? Or the disqusting sex act (says the Urban Dictionary)?

    Enjoy your hobbyware Linonut.

    RL

  2. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean, formated HD?

    * raylopez99 fired off this tart reply:

    > On Nov 26, 1:00 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> Bull****, pure and simple. The thrill of Linux comes from many sources,
    >> depending on who is using it.

    > 1% of the computing population is using it.

    Wrong. Even if you count your average email/web user as part of the
    "computing population". I certainly don't.

    I wouldn't be surprised if 3% of even the "lamers" actually use it once
    and while.

    And in the tech world? I'd bet it might be 20% or more.

    >> Your thrill with it comes from using it to make fun of its users,
    >> certainly a callow and ignoble motive.

    > Trying to deprogram you. Not working.

    The Linonut is impervious to auto-suggestion about Microsoft software,
    products, and services.

    >> Perhaps you imbibe too much of the product of your friend and namesake,
    >> Pepe Lopez?

    > The tequila? Or the disqusting sex act (says the Urban Dictionary)?

    Tequila. The other is "the dirty Sanchez", I believe.

    > Enjoy your hobbyware Linonut.

    What hobbyware? The last hobbyware I had was the Atari ST. I'd dumped
    Win 3.1 in favor of NT.

    Linux ain't hobbyware. It's lifeware.

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean,formated HD?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Nov 26, 1:00 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> Bull****, pure and simple. The thrill of Linux comes from many sources,
    >> depending on who is using it.

    > 1% of the computing population is using it.

    Source?

  4. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean, formated HD?

    class_a wrote:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >> On Nov 26, 1:00 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >>> Bull****, pure and simple. The thrill of Linux comes from many sources,
    >>> depending on who is using it.

    >> 1% of the computing population is using it.

    > Source?

    His ass
    --
    Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. The answer is NO

  5. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean, formated HD?

    class_a writes:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >> On Nov 26, 1:00 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >>> Bull****, pure and simple. The thrill of Linux comes from many sources,
    >>> depending on who is using it.

    >> 1% of the computing population is using it.

    > Source?

    Yeah. DELL reckon its about 0.6%. It's certainly more common in the
    server room but the very low desktop usage combined with the more common
    server usage surely brings it up to about 2%?

    --
    His ideas of first-aid stopped short of squirting soda water.
    -- P. G. Wodehouse

  6. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean, formated HD?

    In article , class_a
    says...
    > raylopez99 wrote:
    > > On Nov 26, 1:00 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > >> Bull****, pure and simple. The thrill of Linux comes from many sources,
    > >> depending on who is using it.

    > > 1% of the computing population is using it.

    > Source?

    Pick any stats site you want.

    --
    Conor

    I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

  7. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean, formated HD?

    Who dragged that ****wit Conor in here.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 3

  8. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean,formated HD?

    Conor wrote:
    > In article , class_a
    > says...
    >> raylopez99 wrote:
    >>> 1% of the computing population is using it.

    >> Source?
    >>

    > Pick any stats site you want.

    Easily done, but show me one that says 1% and I'll show you 10 more that
    say differently.

  9. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean,formated HD?

    On Nov 24, 12:16 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Nov 23, 5:13 pm, "Jack R" wrote:
    >
    > > > Really what I'm looking for in this post is a reply by an experienced
    > > > installer who says: "been there, done that, it could be X,Y,Z...and
    > > > good luck". Morale support more than anything.

    > > Two things...
    > > Are you hitting 'F6' during the install and loading the SATA drivers?
    > > If not, this may be why Vista doesn't see your drive.
    > > 2nd, try Ubuntu for a downloadable, bootable Linux distro:http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    > > You can run it from the CD, or install.
    > > IHTH,
    > > Jack R

    > Jack,
    > Tx. I'm downloading Ubuntu now, but it's gonna take 2 hours.

    Opensuse is fine at handling an install after windows has been
    installed too ... hint

    > THis problem is, as I researched your suggestion more, a problem with
    > SATA drives. See a suggestion here:http://weblogs.asp.net/jkey/archive/...28/423901.aspx
    >
    > But it 's gonna cost me at least a day...I'll report back any progress
    > made.
    >
    > My latest thinking: try installing Windows2000 again but load the
    > driver for SATA Hitachi HD (if I can find it--it wasn't on the CD the
    > seller gave me).

    It's not a driver for the HD ... but a driver for the controller on
    your motherboard you're looking for !!
    > See below.
    >
    > Actually my latest thinking is that I have a spare IDE drive, and

    Actually that would be quick to do ... and you'd have a quick
    indication if it's an issue with SATA-drivers for the chipset at your
    motherboard.

    > since this is just a gift, I'll unload the SATA drives, which causes
    > real pain, and install an IDE drive. Maybe I'll use the Hitachi SATA
    > drive for another system.
    >
    > RL
    >
    > WikiAnswers:
    > First answer by 70.241.88.69. Last edit by 70.241.88.69. Question
    > popularity: 1 [recommend question]
    >
    > INSTALLING WIN XP ON SATA DRIVE
    >
    > YOU NEED TO LOAD 3RD PARTY DRIVERS WHEN INSTALLING XP FROM CD WATCH
    > CLOSE WHEN INSTALL START FOR "PRESS F6 FOR 3RD PARY DRIVERS" IT WILL
    > THEN KEEP LOADING WINDOWS AWHILE THEN STOP AND ASK FOR A FLOPPY WITH
    > YOU SATA/SCSI DRIVERS ON IT. YOU MAY HAVE TO SLAVE A FLOPPY IN JUST
    > FOR THIS OPERATION. YOU CAN USUALLY GET THESE DRIVERS OFF YOU
    > MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS CD OR THE MOTHERBOARD MANUFACTURES WEBSITE. I RUN
    > INTO THIS PROBLEM ON ABOUT 20-40% OF SATA DRIVES WHEN I NEED TO
    > INSTALL XP. GOOD LUCK

  10. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean,formated HD?

    On Nov 24, 12:38 pm, Kier wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 03:26:30 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:
    > > Verdict: installation of OSes suck, and I doubt Linux is any
    > > better.

    > Well, actually, in that you would be quite wrong. Linux is, for the most
    > part, amazingly easy to install. I should know, since I've installed a
    > great many distros on various machines, both laptop and desktop, over the
    > past few years. At first it was a modest challenge, but nowadays it's a
    > breeze.
    >
    > For one thing, the modern distros all have built in partioning tools
    > (Mandriva is one of the best in this regard, their GUI partitioner is
    > absolutely excellent and very straight-forward and simple to use and
    > understand). Also, most a the required drivers for hardware and present
    > upion installation. YOu can also choose what software you want to install,
    > or just go for the defaults.
    >
    > Most distros will also pick up any Windows installation and add it to the
    > sequence so it can be chosen at boot time.
    >
    > So basically, unless you are very unlucky with your hardware - which tends
    > to happen less and less these days - installing Linux doesn't suck at all.
    >
    > --
    > Kier

    Agree fully with Kier .... just try any of the big distros ...
    fedora / centos / opensuse / Ubuntu ... your choice

  11. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean, formated HD?

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 00:41:59 -0800, Johan N wrote:

    > On Nov 24, 12:38 pm, Kier wrote:
    >> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 03:26:30 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> > Verdict: installation of OSes suck, and I doubt Linux is any
    >> > better.

    >> Well, actually, in that you would be quite wrong. Linux is, for the most
    >> part, amazingly easy to install. I should know, since I've installed a
    >> great many distros on various machines, both laptop and desktop, over the
    >> past few years. At first it was a modest challenge, but nowadays it's a
    >> breeze.
    >>
    >> For one thing, the modern distros all have built in partioning tools
    >> (Mandriva is one of the best in this regard, their GUI partitioner is
    >> absolutely excellent and very straight-forward and simple to use and
    >> understand). Also, most a the required drivers for hardware and present
    >> upion installation. YOu can also choose what software you want to install,
    >> or just go for the defaults.
    >>
    >> Most distros will also pick up any Windows installation and add it to the
    >> sequence so it can be chosen at boot time.
    >>
    >> So basically, unless you are very unlucky with your hardware - which tends
    >> to happen less and less these days - installing Linux doesn't suck at all.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kier

    > Agree fully with Kier .... just try any of the big distros ...
    > fedora / centos / opensuse / Ubuntu ... your choice

    Though Fedora is very good, I wouldn't always recommend it to a
    first-timer, as it tends to showcase the bleeding edge, and that can
    occasionally bring problems. I'd go with Ubuntu, Mandriva or SUse, (either
    open or SLED, they're both excellent), or perhaps PCLinuxOS or Mint.

    --
    Kier

  12. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean, formated HD?

    Conor wrote:

    >In article , class_a
    >says...
    >> raylopez99 wrote:
    >> >
    >> > 1% of the computing population is using it.

    >> Source?
    >>

    >Pick any stats site you want.

    WTF? I thought you were already binned. Must have been a different
    group.

    *plonk*

  13. Re: Boot sector problem with Vista? Howto load Linux onto a clean, formated HD?

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 09:27:12 +0000, Kier wrote:

    >> Agree fully with Kier .... just try any of the big distros ...
    >> fedora / centos / opensuse / Ubuntu ... your choice

    > Though Fedora is very good, I wouldn't always recommend it to a
    > first-timer, as it tends to showcase the bleeding edge, and that can
    > occasionally bring problems. I'd go with Ubuntu, Mandriva or SUse, (either
    > open or SLED, they're both excellent), or perhaps PCLinuxOS or Mint.

    Just set up PCLOS here - tried several, including those above - and found
    that PCLOS seemed to be the most useable. Freespire seemed weird (or I).
    --
    Peter.
    It's not rocket science, you know.

+ Reply to Thread