fake DISPLAY no set when ding ssh to host. - Linux

This is a discussion on fake DISPLAY no set when ding ssh to host. - Linux ; Hallo When I'm connecting using ssh to my ssh server it does not set DISPLAY variable at all. My ssh config files on server look like following: /etc/ssh/ssh_config ( I guess not used, but .. ) : ForwardAgent yes ForwardX11 ...

  1. fake DISPLAY no set when ding ssh to host.

    Hallo
    When I'm connecting using ssh to my ssh server it does not set DISPLAY
    variable at all.
    My ssh config files on server look like following:
    /etc/ssh/ssh_config ( I guess not used, but .. ) :
    ForwardAgent yes
    ForwardX11 yes

    /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
    X11Forwarding yes

    Am I missing anything else ?

    Greetings
    -mk

  2. Re: fake DISPLAY no set when ding ssh to host.

    makwak wrote:
    > Hallo
    > When I'm connecting using ssh to my ssh server it does not set DISPLAY
    > variable at all.
    > My ssh config files on server look like following:
    > /etc/ssh/ssh_config ( I guess not used, but .. ) :
    > ForwardAgent yes
    > ForwardX11 yes
    >
    > /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
    > X11Forwarding yes
    >
    > Am I missing anything else ?
    >
    > Greetings
    > -mk

    AFAIK you need to set DISPLAY yourself. I use a little script myself to
    do that (and start a window manager):

    #/bin/sh

    # Determine IP address (should be on one line!)
    ip=`who | grep $USER | sed -e
    's/.*\<\([0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\)\>.*/\1/'`

    # export DISPLAY
    DISPLAY=$ip:0.0
    export DISPLAY

    # Start window manager
    exec icewm &

    HTH, Berend

  3. Re: fake DISPLAY no set when ding ssh to host.

    In article <4280c164$0$56584$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Berend Veldkamp
    wrote:

    || makwak wrote:
    || > Hallo
    || > When I'm connecting using ssh to my ssh server it does not set DISPLAY
    || > variable at all.
    || > My ssh config files on server look like following:
    || > /etc/ssh/ssh_config ( I guess not used, but .. ) :
    || > ForwardAgent yes
    || > ForwardX11 yes
    || >
    || > /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
    || > X11Forwarding yes
    || >
    || > Am I missing anything else ?

    The obvious: ssh_config on the client side? Either in /etc or in
    ~/.ssh?

    Is DISPLAY set on the client side when you run ssh?

    || AFAIK you need to set DISPLAY yourself. I use a little script myself to
    || do that (and start a window manager):

    Definitely wrong. Leave it to ssh, because you have no general way of
    knowing what to set it to.

    If ssh isn't setting it, something else is wrong.

    || #/bin/sh
    || # Determine IP address (should be on one line!)
    || ip=`who | grep $USER | sed -e
    || 's/.*\<\([0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\)\>.*/\1/'`
    || # export DISPLAY
    || DISPLAY=$ip:0.0
    || export DISPLAY
    || # Start window manager
    || exec icewm &

    My advice about this script: don't use it unless you know what you're
    doing - in which case you probably don't want to use it. The two main
    problems are:

    * You're completely bypassing ssh X forwarding and the security it
    provides.

    * You're assuming that the X server will let you connect in a way that's
    probably a big gaping security hole (xhost over Internet).

    Ciao. Vincent.
    --
    Vincent Zweije | "If you're flamed in a group you
    | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"
    [Xhost should be taken out and shot] | -- Paul Tomblin on a.s.r.

  4. Re: fake DISPLAY no set when ding ssh to host.

    Vincent Zweije wrote:
    > In article <4280c164$0$56584$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Berend Veldkamp
    > wrote:

    > The obvious: ssh_config on the client side? Either in /etc or in
    > ~/.ssh?
    >
    > Is DISPLAY set on the client side when you run ssh?
    >
    > || AFAIK you need to set DISPLAY yourself. I use a little script myself to
    > || do that (and start a window manager):
    >
    > Definitely wrong. Leave it to ssh, because you have no general way of
    > knowing what to set it to.
    >
    > If ssh isn't setting it, something else is wrong.
    >
    > || #/bin/sh
    > || # Determine IP address (should be on one line!)
    > || ip=`who | grep $USER | sed -e
    > || 's/.*\<\([0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\.[0-9]\+\)\>.*/\1/'`
    > || # export DISPLAY
    > || DISPLAY=$ip:0.0
    > || export DISPLAY
    > || # Start window manager
    > || exec icewm &
    >
    > My advice about this script: don't use it unless you know what you're
    > doing - in which case you probably don't want to use it. The two main
    > problems are:
    >
    > * You're completely bypassing ssh X forwarding and the security it
    > provides.
    >
    > * You're assuming that the X server will let you connect in a way that's
    > probably a big gaping security hole (xhost over Internet).

    Point taken.
    So, do you have any idea what could be wrong, because I seem to have the
    same issue as makwak.

    Berend

  5. Re: fake DISPLAY no set when ding ssh to host.

    In article <4281bf0f$0$61517$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Berend Veldkamp
    wrote:

    || Vincent Zweije wrote:

    || > The obvious: ssh_config on the client side? Either in /etc or in
    || > ~/.ssh?
    || >
    || > Is DISPLAY set on the client side when you run ssh?

    [snip digression]

    || So, do you have any idea what could be wrong, because I seem to have the
    || same issue as makwak.

    See above. Vincent.
    --
    Vincent Zweije | "If you're flamed in a group you
    | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"
    [Xhost should be taken out and shot] | -- Paul Tomblin on a.s.r.

  6. Re: fake DISPLAY no set when ding ssh to host.

    I use this command to connect with ssh:

    slogin -Y user@hostname

    -Y is trusted X tunnel

    -X is X tunnel