Linux at retail: soon to be shut down - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux at retail: soon to be shut down - Linux ; BestBuy is selling a Vista Home Premium machine for $200. * Intel Celeron 420 1.6ghz chip * 1gb DDR2 RAM * 17" LCD monitor * 160gb SATA2 hard drive * DVD RW/CD RW * Canon printer http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail It's a beast ...

  1. Linux at retail: soon to be shut down

    BestBuy is selling a Vista Home Premium machine for $200.

    * Intel Celeron 420 1.6ghz chip
    * 1gb DDR2 RAM
    * 17" LCD monitor
    * 160gb SATA2 hard drive
    * DVD RW/CD RW
    * Canon printer

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail

    It's a beast compared to the Walmart gOS Linux beater for the same price:

    * VIA 1.5 GHz chip
    * 512 DDR2 RAM
    * no monitor
    * 80gb ATA133 hard drive
    * DVD-ROM/CD RW
    * no printer

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ty+Information

    I know which kids will be happy this Christmas and which will be pissed...

  2. Re: Linux at retail: soon to be shut down

    "DFS" schreef in bericht
    > BestBuy is selling a Vista Home Premium machine for $200.
    >
    > * Intel Celeron 420 1.6ghz chip
    > * 1gb DDR2 RAM
    > * 17" LCD monitor
    > * 160gb SATA2 hard drive
    > * DVD RW/CD RW
    > * Canon printer

    Probably a misprint or something, there's no way they can sell a machine
    with 17inch LCD, 1Gbyte RAM and Vista Premium for $200.

  3. Re: Linux at retail: soon to be shut down

    "We live in the interface between radioactive molten rock and hard
    vacuum and we worry about safety."
    -- A friend of Steve Vanevender

  4. Re: Linux at retail: soon to be shut down

    DFS wrote:

    > BestBuy is selling a Vista Home Premium machine for $200.
    >
    > * Intel Celeron 420 1.6ghz chip
    > * 1gb DDR2 RAM
    > * 17" LCD monitor
    > * 160gb SATA2 hard drive
    > * DVD RW/CD RW
    > * Canon printer

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail

    > It's a beast compared to the Walmart gOS Linux beater for the same price:
    >
    > * VIA 1.5 GHz chip
    > * 512 DDR2 RAM
    > * no monitor
    > * 80gb ATA133 hard drive
    > * DVD-ROM/CD RW
    > * no printer

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ty+Information

    > I know which kids will be happy this Christmas and which will be pissed...

    Ahhh... it's sold out. Pity too, would have made a GREAT linux machine.
    Oh... by the way... no websales on this this... you had to go there to buy
    it... which means there was just a small number of these to entice the
    walk-in impulse buyer...

    Wow... I can't really imagine Vista running on a 1.5gig celeron. I do't care
    how much memory you toss at it, it would crawl like a slug...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: Linux at retail: soon to be shut down

    DFS schrieb:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail

    Well, then go DFS! Go buy that computer!

    Oh! My bad. It's sold out already... Let me guess they had 10 at this price
    on stock, and some "slightly different" ones for >$600...

    So sorry

    Jan

  6. Re: Linux at retail: soon to be shut down

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > BestBuy is selling a Vista Home Premium machine for $200.
    >
    > * Intel Celeron 420 1.6ghz chip
    > * 1gb DDR2 RAM
    > * 17" LCD monitor
    > * 160gb SATA2 hard drive
    > * DVD RW/CD RW
    > * Canon printer
    >
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail
    >
    > It's a beast compared to the Walmart gOS Linux beater for the same price:

    No it isn't. It's a loss leader for the day after Christmas.

    Unless Microsoft, Canon, and Best Buy are subsidizing the machine.

    A 17" monitor alone would be $125.

    > I know which kids will be happy this Christmas and which will be pissed...

    Here's an oldie-but-goody, more fun that your stupid post:

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2024812AA7jeBq

    (I restored some of the stuff the poster bowdlerized from the original
    -- Linonut)

    You think you got it bad? All night long, soot in the chimneys,
    smelly socks, cross dogs, shot at, mistaken for a stork, driving
    all night in the snow - damn near got killed by a 747. Mrs.
    Clause is pissed off cause I got in so late.

    Donner and Blitzen and Rudolph got the ****s over Albuquerque
    and you should see my suit. The god-damn elves won't clean the sleigh
    unless I pay them double time.

    I'm so sick of cookies and milk, I could vomit. The only highball
    I had all night was when I slipped getting out of my sleigh.

    My prostate is giving me hell. I pee'd my pants at 20,000 feet
    and froze my butt to the seat. I'm allergic to pine needles. I
    itch all over and I think my hemorrhoids are back.

    HO! HO! HO! MERRY CHRISTMAS, your ass.

    Enjoy your highball, DFS!

    --
    Tux rox!

  7. Re: Linux at retail: soon to be shut down

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:35:50 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > BestBuy is selling a Vista Home Premium machine for $200.
    >
    > * Intel Celeron 420 1.6ghz chip
    > * 1gb DDR2 RAM
    > * 17" LCD monitor
    > * 160gb SATA2 hard drive
    > * DVD RW/CD RW
    > * Canon printer
    >
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail
    >

    > It's a beast compared to the Walmart gOS Linux beater for the same price:
    >
    > * VIA 1.5 GHz chip
    > * 512 DDR2 RAM
    > * no monitor
    > * 80gb ATA133 hard drive
    > * DVD-ROM/CD RW
    > * no printer
    >
    > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ty+Information
    >

    > I know which kids will be happy this Christmas and which will be pissed...

    Come on DooFuS - you can do better than that! A one day loss-leader will
    not 'shut down' Linux.

  8. Re: Linux at retail: soon to be shut down

    ****. I was going to buy one (seriously!) but they're sold out.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

    Owner and proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

  9. Re: Linux at retail: soon to be shut down

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    >DFS wrote:
    >
    >> BestBuy is selling a Vista Home Premium machine for $200.
    >>
    >> * Intel Celeron 420 1.6ghz chip
    >> * 1gb DDR2 RAM
    >> * 17" LCD monitor
    >> * 160gb SATA2 hard drive
    >> * DVD RW/CD RW
    >> * Canon printer

    >****. I was going to buy one (seriously!) but they're sold out.

    It's a "black Friday" "door buster". If you weren't standing in line
    at 4:00 AM to get in, you weren't getting one.

+ Reply to Thread