Write permission on Fat-Partition to Users - Linux

This is a discussion on Write permission on Fat-Partition to Users - Linux ; I have Debian 3.1 installed on my computer. I have also M$ XP. That I can use the MP3-Collection on both OS I made an FAT-Partition. On Debian the users have no write permition to the partition. How can I ...

  1. Write permission on Fat-Partition to Users

    I have Debian 3.1 installed on my computer. I have also M$ XP. That I
    can use the MP3-Collection on both OS I made an FAT-Partition. On Debian
    the users have no write permition to the partition. How can I change
    this? edit the fstab File? This ist the fstab-entry for my Partition:

    > /dev/hda7 /music vfat defaults,user 0 2

    How can I change the permission, that every user can read and write?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Write permission on Fat-Partition to Users

    Tobias Portmann wrote:

    > I have Debian 3.1 installed on my computer. I have also M$ XP. That I
    > can use the MP3-Collection on both OS I made an FAT-Partition. On Debian
    > the users have no write permition to the partition. How can I change
    > this? edit the fstab File? This ist the fstab-entry for my Partition:
    >

    >>/dev/hda7 /music vfat defaults,user 0 2

    > How can I change the permission, that every user can read and write?
    >
    > Thanks.

    man mount, search for "Mount options for fat", and especially uid, gid
    and umask.

    HTH, Berend

  3. Re: Write permission on Fat-Partition to Users

    Tobias Portmann wrote:

    > I have Debian 3.1 installed on my computer. I have also M$ XP. That I
    > can use the MP3-Collection on both OS I made an FAT-Partition. On Debian
    > the users have no write permition to the partition. How can I change
    > this? edit the fstab File? This ist the fstab-entry for my Partition:
    >
    >>/dev/hda7 /music vfat defaults,user 0 2

    > How can I change the permission, that every user can read and write?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Question asked many times...

    $ man mount
    FILESYSTEM SPECIFIC MOUNT OPTIONS
    Mount options for fat
    (Note: fat is not a separate filesystem, but a common part
    of the msdos, umsdos and vfat filesystems.)
    uid=value and gid=value
    Set the owner and group of all files. (Default: the
    uid and gid of the current process.)

    umask=value
    Set the umask (the bitmask of the permissions that
    are not present). The default is the umask of the
    current process. The value is given in octal.

    At boot time, the process that uses /etc/fstab to mount the fs's is running
    as root, thus any [v]fat partition is mounted as uid=root, gid=root with the
    default umask (usually 022 - meaning rwxr-xr-x).

    If you don't care about anyone being able to write, add option umask=0
    (rwxrwxrwx):

    /dev/hda7 /music vfat defaults,umask=0 0 2

    Or if you want to allow only selected users to be able to write there (as I
    have), create a vfat group on a free gid (eg 499) and add that with
    umask=002 (rwxrwxr-x):

    /dev/hda7 /music vfat uid=0,gid=499,umask=002 0 2

    and add users you want to write to the vfat partition to the vfat group.

  4. Re: Write permission on Fat-Partition to Users

    Robert Newson wrote in news:427B5FB4.20803
    @bullet3.fsnet.oc.ku:

    > Question asked many times...
    >
    > $ man mount
    > FILESYSTEM SPECIFIC MOUNT OPTIONS

    Excellent refresher course, thanks for posting.

    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at newsguy dot com

+ Reply to Thread