TV ad: give one, get one XO OLPC Linux laptop - Linux

This is a discussion on TV ad: give one, get one XO OLPC Linux laptop - Linux ; Seen on Fox Movie Channel, circa Thu Nov 22 11:15 CST 2007, an ad from laptopgiving.org lasting perhaps 15 seconds, asking people to buy an XO and donate one to an underprivileged child....

  1. TV ad: give one, get one XO OLPC Linux laptop

    Seen on Fox Movie Channel, circa Thu Nov 22 11:15 CST 2007, an ad from
    laptopgiving.org lasting perhaps 15 seconds, asking people to buy an XO
    and donate one to an underprivileged child.

  2. Re: TV ad: give one, get one XO OLPC Linux laptop

    Matt wrote:

    > Seen on Fox Movie Channel, circa Thu Nov 22 11:15 CST 2007, an ad from
    > laptopgiving.org lasting perhaps 15 seconds, asking people to buy an XO
    > and donate one to an underprivileged child.

    I saw it and I'm trying to catch a copy for sharing.

    It's an awesome idea, but I'd like to see/know that some of the donated ones
    would go to my countries poor before I spend the cash. Here in the USA, we
    have a lot of poor that we could take better care of too. Rather than
    spending/sending the billions, that we do every year, overseas we should
    make a better than token effort to get our own house is shape first.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: TV ad: give one, get one XO OLPC Linux laptop

    Matt wrote:
    > Seen on Fox Movie Channel, circa Thu Nov 22 11:15 CST 2007, an ad from
    > laptopgiving.org lasting perhaps 15 seconds, asking people to buy an XO
    > and donate one to an underprivileged child.

    Cool. I hope this takes off.

    Thad

  4. Re: TV ad: give one, get one XO OLPC Linux laptop

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 17:29:19 +0000, Matt wrote:

    > Seen on Fox Movie Channel, circa Thu Nov 22 11:15 CST 2007, an ad from
    > laptopgiving.org lasting perhaps 15 seconds, asking people to buy an XO
    > and donate one to an underprivileged child.

    I've seen a lot of those ads on my FTA satellite. (Galaxy 10R).

    Very tempting if only for the new toy.

  5. Re: TV ad: give one, get one XO OLPC Linux laptop

    Jerry McBride wrote:

    > I saw it and I'm trying to catch a copy for sharing.
    >
    > It's an awesome idea, but I'd like to see/know that some of the donated ones
    > would go to my countries poor before I spend the cash. Here in the USA, we
    > have a lot of poor that we could take better care of too. Rather than
    > spending/sending the billions, that we do every year, overseas we should
    > make a better than token effort to get our own house is shape first.

    Actually, on the website they mention the ability to donate a group
    of laptops and direct where they go to. Not a lot of detail, but it
    sounds like they are willing to talk to people about it.

    And yes, there are many places here in the US with crushing poverty
    that can benefit from this sort of thing. I've been active in
    recycling older computers to donate to needy schools. An otherwise
    worthless old system can often still be used as a basic X terminal
    in a computer lab. Google on the Linux Terminal Server Project
    to learn more about that.

    Thad

  6. Re: TV ad: give one, get one XO OLPC Linux laptop

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 18:25:11 UTC, Jerry McBride
    wrote:

    -> Matt wrote:
    ->
    -> > Seen on Fox Movie Channel, circa Thu Nov 22 11:15 CST 2007, an ad from
    -> > laptopgiving.org lasting perhaps 15 seconds, asking people to buy an XO
    -> > and donate one to an underprivileged child.
    ->
    ->
    -> I saw it and I'm trying to catch a copy for sharing.
    ->
    -> It's an awesome idea, but I'd like to see/know that some of the donated ones
    -> would go to my countries poor before I spend the cash. Here in the USA, we
    -> have a lot of poor that we could take better care of too. Rather than
    -> spending/sending the billions, that we do every year, overseas we should
    -> make a better than token effort to get our own house is shape first.
    ->

    Jerry,

    I bought one last week http://www.laptopgiving.org Its a limited time
    offer, over in 5 days. You could donate your own to someone in the
    US, but according to the site, the donated one goes to a child in a
    developing country. Of course with things going down the tubes here,
    maybe they would consider the US a developing country now.

    Anyway the cost is $399 plus shipping and you get a $200 charitable
    deduction. The OLPC looks like a neat little machine to travel with.
    With the added benefit of no windoze.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.warpstock.eu

  7. Re: TV ad: give one, get one XO OLPC Linux laptop

    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> Seen on Fox Movie Channel, circa Thu Nov 22 11:15 CST 2007, an ad from
    >> laptopgiving.org lasting perhaps 15 seconds, asking people to buy an XO
    >> and donate one to an underprivileged child.

    > I saw it and I'm trying to catch a copy for sharing.

    Looks like somebody's already done it for you:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQbtebeftyA

  8. Re: TV ad: give one, get one XO OLPC Linux laptop

    Jerry McBride writes:

    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> Seen on Fox Movie Channel, circa Thu Nov 22 11:15 CST 2007, an ad from
    >> laptopgiving.org lasting perhaps 15 seconds, asking people to buy an XO
    >> and donate one to an underprivileged child.

    > I saw it and I'm trying to catch a copy for sharing.
    >
    > It's an awesome idea, but I'd like to see/know that some of the donated ones
    > would go to my countries poor before I spend the cash. Here in the USA, we
    > have a lot of poor that we could take better care of too. Rather than
    > spending/sending the billions, that we do every year, overseas we should
    > make a better than token effort to get our own house is shape first.

    The US can afford state of the art laptops for gap toothed banjo
    plucking hilly billy kids if they stop sending troops to the
    middle east.

    Kids with a wind up etch a sketch pc would end up getting stabbed in the
    US.

    --
    The ends justify the means.
    -- after Matthew Prior

  9. Re: TV ad: give one, get one XO OLPC Linux laptop

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:03:58 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > The US can afford state of the art laptops for gap toothed banjo
    > plucking hilly billy kids if they stop sending troops to the middle
    > east.

    The logic is that giving something like that would threaten the US
    culture and way of life. However, sometimes it's necessary to got war.
    It's the lamest argument in the world, I have to agree with you on this
    one.

    NPR just had a story about giving iMac's to high school students to level
    the playing field. In the US I'm not sure that the XO is called for
    because (presumably) electricity is prevalent.

    -Thufir

  10. Re: TV ad: give one, get one XO OLPC Linux laptop

    Thufir espoused:
    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:03:58 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> The US can afford state of the art laptops for gap toothed banjo
    >> plucking hilly billy kids if they stop sending troops to the middle
    >> east.

    > The logic is that giving something like that would threaten the US
    > culture and way of life. However, sometimes it's necessary to got war.
    > It's the lamest argument in the world, I have to agree with you on this
    > one.
    >
    > NPR just had a story about giving iMac's to high school students to level
    > the playing field. In the US I'm not sure that the XO is called for
    > because (presumably) electricity is prevalent.

    As is global warming... The XO has several advantages in terms of being
    small, light, inexpensive, reasonably robust and of such low retail
    value that it's much less likely to be stolen from some unsuspecting
    council-house kid than an iBook would be.

    Also, in poor areas, how many people will have ADSL with wifi? The
    meshing capability could be quite useful, too.