missing kernel module "serial_cs" in Debian-based MEPIS distro - Linux

This is a discussion on missing kernel module "serial_cs" in Debian-based MEPIS distro - Linux ; Hi, all. I have posted on this before but still haven't found a solution. All I need is to get a working "serial_cs" kernel driver/module for MEPIS 3.3. I have tried compiling my own kernel, but the kernels never work ...

  1. missing kernel module "serial_cs" in Debian-based MEPIS distro

    Hi, all. I have posted on this before but still haven't found a solution.
    All I need is to get a working "serial_cs" kernel driver/module for MEPIS
    3.3. I have tried compiling my own kernel, but the kernels never work
    quite right! (For example, sound is missing, ethernet is missing). I
    really have no idea what I am doing wrong as far as roll-my-own goes, and
    I have followed on-line instructions and howtos.

    In any case,

    (1) has anyone got a working "serial_cs" module for MEPIS 3.3?

    (2) can I copy the "serial_cs.ko" file from a working distro (I was
    thinking Knoppix) to the proper location in my MEPIS /lib/modules
    directory hiearchy? Will that work? Do I have to "register" the new module
    with the kernel somewhere or something like that?

    (3) If I compile a fresh kernel from kernel.org, what "make xconfig"
    options will enable "serial_cs"? I tried make oldconfig and make
    xconfig->load old config->"/boot/config-2.6.10" but either (a) the
    serial_cs module is not built or (b) it is built but other things break
    (like sound and ethernet)!

    Thanks for any and all help on this issue.

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@example.invalid
    | http://www.newtnotes.com

  2. Re: missing kernel module "serial_cs" in Debian-based MEPIS distro

    JDS wrote in :

    > (2) can I copy the "serial_cs.ko" file from a working distro (I was
    > thinking Knoppix) to the proper location in my MEPIS /lib/modules
    > directory hiearchy? Will that work? Do I have to "register" the new module
    > with the kernel somewhere or something like that?

    Generally it won't work. It might work if the kernel version is the same,
    but even then it may well not.

  3. Re: missing kernel module "serial_cs" in Debian-based MEPIS distro

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 10:20:36 -0400, JDS wrote:

    > Hi, all. I have posted on this before but still haven't found a solution.
    > All I need is to get a working "serial_cs" kernel driver/module for MEPIS
    > 3.3. I have tried compiling my own kernel, but the kernels never work
    > quite right! (For example, sound is missing, ethernet is missing). I
    > really have no idea what I am doing wrong as far as roll-my-own goes, and
    > I have followed on-line instructions and howtos.
    >
    > In any case,
    >
    > (1) has anyone got a working "serial_cs" module for MEPIS 3.3?
    >
    > (2) can I copy the "serial_cs.ko" file from a working distro (I was

    Well, although I realize that no one seems to care about this thre, *I*
    care, and I did finally get serial_cs working along with everything else!
    I will post the eact details on my website, but to summarize, here is
    basically what I did: (and remember, this is all regarding MEPIS 3.3!)

    1) install kernel-source deb package using synaptic.
    2) Follow instructions in /usr/src/KERNEL-README to compile and create
    kernel image package.
    3) do *not* install package, but use the "serial_cs.ko" driver in the
    source build tree and copy it to the equivalent location in the live
    module tree.
    cp ./drivers/serial/serial_cs.ko /lib/modules/2.6.10/kernel/drivers/serial/

    4) REBOOT!!!

    It seems I was doing two things wrong -- one, I was building the module
    with the wrong extra version info and I think the running kernel did not
    like that (just a guess) and, more importantly, I wasn't rebooting. I
    think the reboot is critical.

    Now, the serial_cs.ko module works as well as does the rest of the stuff.

    Allrighty, later...

    --
    JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com