PPPoE ADSL connect with Fedora Core 3? - Linux

This is a discussion on PPPoE ADSL connect with Fedora Core 3? - Linux ; I have a redhat 9 server/firewall/gateway that was recently compromised and has to go. I have decided to replace it with Fedora Core 3. Previously I had used rp-pppoe-3.5-1 to make the pppoe connection, had it set to run at ...

  1. PPPoE ADSL connect with Fedora Core 3?

    I have a redhat 9 server/firewall/gateway that was recently compromised and
    has to go. I have decided to replace it with Fedora Core 3. Previously I
    had used rp-pppoe-3.5-1 to make the pppoe connection, had it set to run at
    boot and always remain connected. rp-pppoe-3.5-2 did not work at all, had
    to stay with rp-pppoe-3.5-1. I have a Westell Wirespeed 2100 ADSL modem and
    use bellsouth for Internet.

    Is rp-pppoe-3.5-1 available for Fedora Core 3 or what would you all suggest
    to make the ADSL connection over pppoe with Fedora Core 3?

    Thanks.

    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at newsguy dot com

  2. Re: PPPoE ADSL connect with Fedora Core 3?

    * Ohmster wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > I have a redhat 9 server/firewall/gateway that was recently compromised and
    > has to go. I have decided to replace it with Fedora Core 3. Previously I
    > had used rp-pppoe-3.5-1 to make the pppoe connection, had it set to run at
    > boot and always remain connected. rp-pppoe-3.5-2 did not work at all, had
    > to stay with rp-pppoe-3.5-1. I have a Westell Wirespeed 2100 ADSL modem and
    > use bellsouth for Internet.

    > Is rp-pppoe-3.5-1 available for Fedora Core 3 or what would you all suggest
    > to make the ADSL connection over pppoe with Fedora Core 3?

    If it were me, I'd spend a few bucks on a router. It will do the ADSL
    connection piece and then you only need to get ethernet up. It serves
    dual purpose as a hardware firewall as well.

    --
    David
    Note on a chem lab fridge- "This refrigerator is not explosion-

  3. Re: PPPoE ADSL connect with Fedora Core 3?

    Ohmster wrote:

    > I have a redhat 9 server/firewall/gateway that was recently compromised
    > and has to go. I have decided to replace it with Fedora Core 3. Previously
    > I had used rp-pppoe-3.5-1 to make the pppoe connection, had it set to run
    > at boot and always remain connected. rp-pppoe-3.5-2 did not work at all,
    > had to stay with rp-pppoe-3.5-1. I have a Westell Wirespeed 2100 ADSL
    > modem and use bellsouth for Internet.
    >
    > Is rp-pppoe-3.5-1 available for Fedora Core 3 or what would you all
    > suggest to make the ADSL connection over pppoe with Fedora Core 3?

    I'm using rp-pppoe under FC-3, and have had no problems at all.
    I always keep up to date with "yum update"
    and am currently running rp-pppoe-3.5-22 .
    (I also have rp-pppoe-gui-3.5-1 .)

    Is your modem an ethernet modem?
    Did you try saying "adsl-status", "adsl-connect", "adsl-setup"?

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  4. Re: PPPoE ADSL connect with Fedora Core 3?

    * Ohmster Wrote in alt.os.linux:

    > I have a redhat 9 server/firewall/gateway that was recently
    > compromised and has to go. I have decided to replace it with
    > Fedora Core 3. Previously I had used rp-pppoe-3.5-1 to make the
    > pppoe connection, had it set to run at boot and always remain
    > connected. rp-pppoe-3.5-2 did not work at all, had to stay with
    > rp-pppoe-3.5-1. I have a Westell Wirespeed 2100 ADSL modem and use
    > bellsouth for Internet.
    >
    > Is rp-pppoe-3.5-1 available for Fedora Core 3 or what would you
    > all suggest to make the ADSL connection over pppoe with Fedora
    > Core 3?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Get a cheap router and let it deal with the connectivity. Easier and
    gives the added advantage of a hardware firewall.

    --
    David

  5. Re: PPPoE ADSL connect with Fedora Core 3?

    Timothy Murphy wrote in news:agree.52715
    $Z14.43296@news.indigo.ie:

    > I'm using rp-pppoe under FC-3, and have had no problems at all.
    > I always keep up to date with "yum update"
    > and am currently running rp-pppoe-3.5-22 .
    > (I also have rp-pppoe-gui-3.5-1 .)
    >
    > Is your modem an ethernet modem?
    > Did you try saying "adsl-status", "adsl-connect", "adsl-setup"?

    Excellent. I have the Westell Wirespeed 2100 Ethernet modem/router. Can run
    it in bridged ethernet mode and use rp-pppoe with that. Have not tried it
    yet, the install is slated for Saturday. Thanks Tim.

    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at newsguy dot com

  6. Re: PPPoE ADSL connect with Fedora Core 3?

    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in news:53hpk2xemp.ln2
    @news.gates_of_hell.com:

    > If it were me, I'd spend a few bucks on a router. It will do the ADSL
    > connection piece and then you only need to get ethernet up. It serves
    > dual purpose as a hardware firewall as well.

    This modem is a router, I just shut the router part off and connect with
    linux rather than the modem itself. I do this so that the modem does not
    "dog" the IP address and then I can run servers on domains. So wanted to
    see if the rp-pppoe is still uses in FC3.

    --
    ~Ohmster
    ohmster at newsguy dot com

  7. Re: PPPoE ADSL connect with Fedora Core 3?

    * Ohmster wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in news:53hpk2xemp.ln2
    > @news.gates_of_hell.com:

    >> If it were me, I'd spend a few bucks on a router. It will do the ADSL
    >> connection piece and then you only need to get ethernet up. It serves
    >> dual purpose as a hardware firewall as well.

    > This modem is a router, I just shut the router part off and connect with
    > linux rather than the modem itself. I do this so that the modem does not
    > "dog" the IP address and then I can run servers on domains. So wanted to
    > see if the rp-pppoe is still uses in FC3.

    Sorry, I dont get it. What do you mean by 'dog' the IP? You can still
    run domain servers on a routed network. Do you want your server to have
    an IP that can be seen on the internet? Make sure your TOS from your ISP
    allows this or they can/will shut you down.

    --
    David
    Divide the number of servings by two when reading the directions for

+ Reply to Thread