setting up an external drive - Linux

This is a discussion on setting up an external drive - Linux ; Hello, I have now got a maxtor one touch external hard drive 120GB, partitioned for fat32, I left it like this so I can swap files between win2000(NTFS) and Suse 9.0 (reiser). Suse will not detect it unless I open ...

  1. setting up an external drive

    Hello, I have now got a maxtor one touch external hard drive 120GB,
    partitioned for fat32, I left it like this so I can swap files between
    win2000(NTFS) and Suse 9.0 (reiser). Suse will not detect it unless I
    open up devices. I have tried to write in fstab the following line

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/utopia vfat users,owner,rw,umask=022 0 0

    however it will not write as it states:

    The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to
    file:/etc/fstab.

    Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disc space
    is available.

    What am I doing wrong? I am logged in as root. Any help will greatly be
    appriciated, thanks!

    Still trying to learn!

  2. Re: setting up an external drive

    Daniel Jones wrote:

    > The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to
    > file:/etc/fstab.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    Try doing that where you should - from a shell.

  3. Re: setting up an external drive

    Jeroen Geilman wrote:

    > Daniel Jones wrote:
    >
    >> The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to
    >> file:/etc/fstab.
    >>
    >> What am I doing wrong?

    > Try doing that where you should - from a shell.

    Try doing that as root.

+ Reply to Thread