Video Editing - Linux

This is a discussion on Video Editing - Linux ; Is it possible for me to put mpeg files onto DVD in Linux? I'd also like to be able to do some simple editing like fading in and out, with voice-overs and adding music tracks to the video. I'm only ...

  1. Video Editing

    Is it possible for me to put mpeg files onto DVD in Linux? I'd also like to
    be able to do some simple editing like fading in and out, with voice-overs
    and adding music tracks to the video.

    I'm only somewhat familiar with Linux and can just barely install it and
    some software. Last time I did it was about a 9 months ago and I found it
    still too slow to run. I'm thinking the hardware and software have caught
    up with my patience, or maybe I'm ready to slow down. Either way, I think
    I'm ready to tackle it, but only if I can do some video editing and maybe
    copy some DVDs.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Video Editing

    Lifeform Bri wrote:
    > Is it possible for me to put mpeg files onto DVD in Linux? I'd also like to
    > be able to do some simple editing like fading in and out, with voice-overs
    > and adding music tracks to the video.
    >
    > I'm only somewhat familiar with Linux and can just barely install it and
    > some software. Last time I did it was about a 9 months ago and I found it
    > still too slow to run.

    Some qualifications ? As in, what hardware did you run it on, and what
    did you run ?

    > I'm thinking the hardware and software have caught
    > up with my patience, or maybe I'm ready to slow down. Either way, I think
    > I'm ready to tackle it, but only if I can do some video editing and maybe
    > copy some DVDs.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    *Transcode* handles any MPEG format in existence, and you can always
    chain tools together if one doesn't do what you need.
    There are probably multiple good authoring choices - Google around.
    For studio-quality video editing, try *cinelerra*.

    http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

  3. Re: Video Editing

    http://dvdauthor.sourceforge.net/

    > I'd also like to
    > be able to do some simple editing like fading in and out, with voice-overs
    > and adding music tracks to the video.

    Edits using MPEGs are guaranteed to look bad. Use a better source for
    edits, and then use Kino or Cinelerra to do the editting. I use
    mjpegtools to transcode into MPEG.

    > I'm only somewhat familiar with Linux and can just barely install it and
    > some software. Last time I did it was about a 9 months ago and I found it
    > still too slow to run.

    Most distributions come with WAY too much installed and running. I
    usually turn off about 80% of the things they have running.

    Jon
    ----
    Learn to program using Linux assembly language
    http://www.cafeshops.com/bartlettpublish.8640017

+ Reply to Thread