OLPC asked to free XO laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Morales said a direct sales model works best for OLPC, as it covers the
| overhead cost of manufacturing XOs and in-store sales could yield more
| potential buyers. Bigger distribution will attract developers to XO's "Sugar"
| open-source Linux interface, which could lead to more educational
| applications for children to use as learning tools, Morales said.
|
| But it is XO's innovative hardware that will attract users, Morales said.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/112107-olpc.html

More on Linux hardware (VIA plays nice with Linux).

Open Source Software and the VIA pc3500 Motherboard, Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the first of a five-part article series that examines how Ubuntu
| Linux and other open source software runs on a computer built around the VIA
| pc3500 motherboard. Each article will cover different aspects of the
| computing experience. This series will feature discussions on topics such as:
| hardware and operating systems, multimedia software, office programs,
| internet applications, and software virtualization.
`----

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...icleID=542&P=1

Recent:

Via reaps benefits of Wal-Mart tie-up

,----[ Quote ]
| The PCs are made by Everex, and sold cut-price using Via's C7 processor and
| UniChrome integrated graphics, and come with Linux pre-installed, as well as
| OpenOffice, Google Apps, FireFox and Skype. *
|
| Via has said in a statement that it thinks the C7 processor will shortly
| become its main product line, as its continues to fall behind in the chipset
| market, having failed to agree a license with Intel to create new chipsets. *
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-wal-mart-tie

VIA and FIC to keep up with price of EeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| The CE260 called NanoBook, which was developed by VIA in co-operation with
| VIA fellow affiliate FIC, is planned to be marketed in the U.S. by FIC
| subsidiary Everex from 2008. According to Taiwanese online service DigiTimes,
| FIC estimates that 50.000 to 60.000 CE260s will be sold via OEMs in the first
| quarter of 2008. DigiTimes states a price of less than 450 US dollars for the
| Windows XP version; a Linux version could be even cheaper. * *
`---- * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Related:

VIA's Linux support - will it finally happen?

,----[ Quote ]
| This afternoon while I was surfing the web instead of paying attention to the
| lecture I was sitting in I came across a new posting on the MTube device over
| at ultramobilelife.com. While the short video included there isn't really all
| that interesting after you've seen the photos from the gallery a comment made
| by VIA's Bjorn Stromberg did manage to grab my attention. Asked about which
| operating system the MTube runs own he replied: * *
|
| "Yeah, it runs linux, they've got a simplified interface set up for specific
| applications. I'll be posting more details about the software part of the
| MTube when I have some more time." *
`----

http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.ph...ticle&sid=1158

Via unveils "ultra mobile device" reference design

,----[ Quote ]
| Via Technologies on June 6 unveiled the NanoBook Ultra Mobile Device
| (UMD) reference design -- a UMPC-like device, but with a full
| QWERTY keyboard.
`----

2D/3D graphics chipset targets mobile devices

,----[ Quote ]
`----