IBM's 'Blue Cloud': The Tipping Point for Enterprise IT

,----[ Quote ]
| The future of IT is clearly about the efficiencies and agility of the
| grid/utility/Live/fabric/cloud/SOA/WOA thing. There can be no turning back. I
| believe Nick Carr is coming out with a book on this soon, The Big Switch:
| Rewiring the World, from Edison to Google and IT, and IT is by no means
| irrelevant this time.
|
| IBM's Blue Cloud, arriving in the first half of 2008, will use IBM
| BladeCenter servers, a Linux operating system, Xen-based virtualization and
| the company's own Tivoli management software. Nothing about this is terribly
| new.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/5466...-enterprise-it

Related:

Aiming for the Clouds: The Red Hat Q&A

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: To get back to the original question, what is your assessment of the
| potential impact?
|
| A: It’s early, but November’s news was a good indication that innovation
| amongst economic models and deployment scenarios is still possible. Not to
| dismiss the importance of some of the new features of RHEL 5.1, but over the
| longer term I think AOS and the Cloud offering are far more important than
| mere bells and whistles, because they make Red Hat a competitor in markets
| where its penetration is currently low. Even if it’s success in those areas,
| then, is minimal, the news remains very significant. * * *
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2007/11/19/redhat_cloud/

Will the biggest clouds stay open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone wants to become Google these days. In a way.
|
| Google runs Linux.
|
| A lot of enterprises, from banking to health care, are now looking to deploy
| gigantic Internet-facing applications to customer sets numbering in the tens
| of millions. (Government, too.) *
|
| The biggest and best IT system suppliers are gearing up for what they
| call “cloud” computing. IBM floated its offering today. *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1684

Xcerion's Internet Cloud Forms Over Google and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If successful, it may be able to further erode the power Microsoft
| derives from control of the desktop, to beat Google at its
| software-as-a-service play, and to make commodity Linux boxes more
| viable as a computing platform for the masses.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/showA...&queryText=xml
http://tinyurl.com/ynkp9q

IBM's Blue Cloud: The Tipping Point for Enterprise IT as Service

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's Blue Cloud, arriving in the first half of 2008, will use IBM
| BladeCenter servers, a Linux operating system, Xen-based virtualization and
| the company's own Tivoli management software. *
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/5440...e?source=yahoo

IBM to turn datacenters into 'computing cloud'

`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93434