Can I give password when gzip files? - Linux

This is a discussion on Can I give password when gzip files? - Linux ; Hi there, Could I set a password when I am compressing a file using gzip, so that people need put the password when uncompressing it? As you know, WinZip can do this. But I don't know if/how I can do ...

  1. Can I give password when gzip files?

    Hi there,
    Could I set a password when I am compressing a file using gzip, so that
    people need put the password when uncompressing it?
    As you know, WinZip can do this. But I don't know if/how I can do this with
    gzip.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ross

  2. Re: Can I give password when gzip files?

    'zip' format is great for passwords, 'gz' and it's variants...not s
    much.

    you can use the command-line zip with the -e switch to encrypt,

    $ZIP -E
    depending on what you prefer, there are tons of front-ends as well...
    but as far as i know, you can't natively password protect a gzip file.

    good luck!
    ~

    -
    kr0m3 - supervillia

    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will kno
    peace.
    Jimi Hendrix (1942-1970)

    kr0m3's Profile: http:/linuxcult.com/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=136
    View this thread: http://linuxcult.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=905

  3. Re: Can I give password when gzip files?

    Thanks a bunch, ~k!
    Ross

    "kr0m3" wrote in message
    news:1114781454.7ba3bb995923586a6d9ada596e9e8a67@t eranews...

    > 'zip' format is great for passwords, 'gz' and it's variants...not so
    > much.
    >
    > you can use the command-line zip with the -e switch to encrypt,
    >
    > $ZIP -E
    >
    > depending on what you prefer, there are tons of front-ends as well...
    > but as far as i know, you can't natively password protect a gzip file.
    >
    > good luck!
    > ~k
    >

    > --
    > kr0m3 - supervillian
    >
    > When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know
    > peace.
    > Jimi Hendrix (1942-1970)

    > kr0m3's Profile:
    > http:/linuxcult.com/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1361
    > View this thread: http://linuxcult.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9057

  4. Re: Can I give password when gzip files?

    It's very kind of you, Bill!
    Ross

    "Bill Marcum" wrote in message
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.]
    > On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:15:08 -0400, Ross
    > wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >> Could I set a password when I am compressing a file using gzip, so that
    >> people need put the password when uncompressing it?
    >> As you know, WinZip can do this. But I don't know if/how I can do this
    >> with
    >> gzip.
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Ross
    >>

    > I don't see the words "password" or "crypt" in my gzip man page either.
    > You could gzip a file and encrypt it with gpg, or you could use zip.
    > If security is important, I would recommend the former as zip
    > encryption is known to be weak. Use the latter if you have to send the
    > file to friends who use Windows.
    >

    > --
    > "First you deny it, then you say it's irrelevant, then you say that
    > Jefferson did it too. I didn't think anybody could out-sleaze the
    > Clinton gang, but the the Bush gang has left them in the dust."
    > --Rex F. May

+ Reply to Thread