News on new EU antitrust investigation against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The open standards coalition invited Clifford Chance lawyer Thomas Vinje to
| Rio [for Internet Governance Forum (IGF)] to give insights into a new
| antitrust case of the European Union against Microsoft...
|
| [...]
|
| The third, and according to Vinje, most relevant to the Internet and work
| done at the IGF, was the problem of growing .NET-dependency for web
| applications. .NET is Microsoft’s platform for web applications software
| development. “It is a sort of an effort to ‘proprietise’ the Internet,” said
| Vinje...
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=828

EU fines videotape manufacturers for alleged cartel

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission has fined videotape manufacturers Sony, Fuji and
| Maxell a total of €74.8m for alleged cartel activity in the videotape market.
|
| In a statement, the commission said the three companies, which have a
| combined share of 85 per cent of the professional videotape market, managed
| to "raise or otherwise control prices through a series of regular meetings
| and other illicit contacts" that took place between 1999 and 2002.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...cturers_fined/

Related:

Mozilla, Microsoft drawing sabers over next JavaScript

,----[ Quote ]
| Eich charged in turn that Microsoft's arguments are self-serving. "At best,
| we have a fundamental conflict of visions and technical values between the
| majority and the minority," he wrote. "However, the obvious conflict of
| interest between the standards-based web and proprietary platforms advanced
| by Microsoft, and the rationales for keeping the web's client-side
| programming language small while the proprietary platforms rapidly evolve
| support for large languages, does not help maintain the fiction that only
| clashing high-level philosophies are involved here." * * *
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...82;fp;2;fpid;1

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
| An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
| in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
| public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
| Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
| the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon forn
| etwork applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS...ack/1169824569

Microsoft: Be afraid, be very afraid

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's a scary thought: Microsoft can take over your computer wherever you
| are, and do whatever it wants to. *
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...4194304;fpid;1

Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web.

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, but I have to say something very rude. You clearly don't know
| what you're talking about. That is Microsoft PR talking. Can you say
| "credibility loss".
|
| Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web
|
| Silverlight is not about the World Wide Web. It's about The Microsoft
| Web. It's about getting fools to rally around Microsoft. After all of
| this time and experience with Microsoft, anybody with half a brain
| will be smart enough to avoid doing that. The last thing you want to
| be is dependent on Microsoft and set yourself up to be a DIRECT
| competitor with "Microsoft Cloud Services" down the road. Dumb.
| Foolish. Stupid. Smart investors won't invest one dime in your
| company and might even short your stock.
|
| Remember, it's Microsoft's cloud. Microsoft is not investing in
| huge datacenters all around the world for no reason. And, Microsoft
| will do whatever it takes, including operating that new online
| services business at a huge loss, to starve off any smaller
| competitor that foolishly chose to develop on the Silverlight
| platform. Microsoft sold $44 BILLION and cleared $18 BILLION
| profit last year. How many billions did you make last year?
`----

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-11406...ssageID=613757

Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

,----[ Quote ]