[News] [Rival] iPhone Promotional Hype Becomes a Turnoff - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] iPhone Promotional Hype Becomes a Turnoff - Linux ; The iPhone: I Don't Really Want One ,----[ Quote ] | The first thing that makes me suspicious of this thing is the nature of the | promotional hype. Most of the previews I have read espouse the circular logic ...

  1. [News] [Rival] iPhone Promotional Hype Becomes a Turnoff

    The iPhone: I Don't Really Want One

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The first thing that makes me suspicious of this thing is the nature of the
    | promotional hype. Most of the previews I have read espouse the circular logic
    | that its main appeal is its desirability; apparently, as soon as I see one,
    | I'll want one. And this diagonal leap of logic says as much about what Apple
    | make and sell as it does about malleability of consumer desire.
    `----

    http://www.osnews.com/story.php/1895...ally-Want-One/

    Related:

    Commentary: Why you should avoid the iPhone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, if I were you, I'd resist the temptation to get an iPhone. Just for a few
    | more months. You'll be glad you did. You never know what's around the corner,
    | but I bet it'll be worth the wait. *
    `----

    http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/11/15/i...nch/index.html

    Apple to Brick Modded iPhones, Apple Boycott?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While community reaction is generally negative, one blogger suggests sending
    | an even stronger message to Apple by boycotting Apple on October 1.
    `----

    http://www.osnews.com/story.php/1868...Apple-Boycott/

    iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
    | project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
    | are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
    | framework to go with it. *
    `----

    http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_ma...phone_movement

    Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
    | didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
    | the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
    | numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
    | handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said. * *
    `----

    Google Android dev kit exposes Apple-inspired roots

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The release to developers of Google's Linux-based Android operating system
    | for mobile phones reveals that the prototype software shares at least a few
    | aspects in common with interfaces from the company's Bay Area neighbor,
    | Apple. *
    `----

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...red_roots.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] iPhone Promotional Hype Becomes a Turnoff

    On 2007-11-21, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > Commentary: Why you should avoid the iPhone
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| So, if I were you, I'd resist the temptation to get an iPhone. Just for a few
    >| more months. You'll be glad you did. You never know what's around the corner,
    >| but I bet it'll be worth the wait. *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/11/15/i...nch/index.html

    I've already waited a few months. I _still_ don't want one. Not at that
    price. Not if it has to be tied to ATT or it'll get destroyed on an
    update because it was unlocked.

    I liked the take of Carlos Mencia on the matter. Why anybody waited in
    line for days to get a phone with an mp3 player doesn't make sense.
    Inventors should be making something useful instead, like something
    that makes turds come out in perfectly round little balls so you don't
    have one of those ****s that you wipe for a half hour, and *still* get
    an itchy asshole in an hour. Not a frickin' phone/mp3 player.

    --
    I don't want much from you, just your total submission.

+ Reply to Thread