Microsoft: It's Not Our Fault Our Operating System Sucks

,----[ Quote ]
| But how about this: Microsoft admits that Apple's operating system is much
| easier to use. That's news. And it happens in today's NYT. But the Microsoft
| executive in question, J Allard, isn't talking about PCs, he's talking about
| phones. And he's not taking responsibility for the problem, either: instead,
| he's blaming the wireless carriers.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/5478...s?source=yahoo
http://tinyurl.com/2lebz3

Recent:

Reaching for Apple, Falling Short

,----[ Quote ]
| Frankly, Windows Mobile 6 is a mess. Common features require an infinitude of
| taps and clicks, and the ones you need most are buried in menus. Apparently
| the Windows Mobile 6 team learned absolutely nothing from Windows Mobile 1,
| 2, 3, 4 and 5. *
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/te...in&oref=slogin

Related:

PCs being pushed aside in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| The PC's role in Japanese homes is diminishing, as its once-awesome monopoly
| on processing power is encroached by gadgets such as smart phones that act
| like pocket-size computers, advanced Internet-connected game consoles,
| digital video recorders with terabytes of memory. *
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071104/...te/bye_bye_pcs

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said. * *
`----

Google's mobile move: awe-inspiring and terrifying

,----[ Quote ]
| It is also another awe-inspiring -- or terrifying, depending on one's
| perspective -- display of the engineering and business resources Google can
| unleash and of the power it has to influence, disrupt and rearrange markets. *
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93133

Google spending hundreds of millions on mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Anian, a Reuters company that tracks industry trends for institutional
| investors, reported last month that Google had engaged Taiwan's High Tech
| Computer Corpto design a Linux
| software-based phone for launch in the first quarter of 2008. *
`----

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...yID=nN02242073

Closed iPhone opens road for Linux phones

,----[ Summary ]
| With iPhone a closed platform, Linux gets an wide-open road for phones and
| other smart devices
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/ar...tml?source=rss

Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows Mobile is currently not even in the
| second runner in the smartphone operating systems race. Linux, which is
| widely used on mobile devices in China, is second to Symbian with more than
| 13% market share. Windows mobile is a distant third with about 6% share. *
`---- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15017/1023/

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]
| I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
| with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
| the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
| will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
| machine on a particular room every time you need access to
| information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
| of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
| yard every time you need water.
`----

http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com...ktop-what.html

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006...arket-by-2010/

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
| alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...-os/2007-01-03

Linux Growth Accelerates with Server Shipments in 4th QTR 2006

,----[ Quote ]
| Unit shipment growth was flat (0.0% growth) year over year in 4Q06, the
| tenth consecutive quarter of slowing overall shipment growth...
|
| After two consecutive quarters of single-digit revenue growth, Linux
| server revenue growth accelerated once again, growing 15.3% to $1.8
| billion when compared with 4Q05.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/H...n_4th_QTR_2006

Windows Mobile flaws could crash phones

,----[ Quote ]
| A security firm has found a pair of security bugs in Microsoft's
| Windows Mobile which, if exploited, could crash phones and other
| devices running the software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6155141.html

Trend Micro Finds More Windows Mobile Flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| Trend Micro has again discovered flaws related to Windows Mobile.
| Both of the newly found vulnerabilities are flaws in applications
| that ship by default with Microsoft?s mobile device OS.
`----

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trend-mic...-mobile-flaws/

Microsoft shows its hand to stay in the mobile web war

,----[ Quote ]
| Repeatedly it has been asked of Microsoft, why not throw away Windows
| Mobile and build a new generation of software on top of the prevalent
| smart phone operating systems -- Symbian and Linux, or add Windows
| Mobile only as an afterthought?
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04...obile_browser/

Palm's Fat Hand

,----[ Quote ]
| Samsung' Blackjack and Motorola's Q, while easy on the eyes, are
| hampered by Microsoft's unintuitive Windows Mobile operating
| system.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/05/08/iph...rtner=yahootix

Vista-Windows Mobile 6.0 file-sync fix due in mid-June

,----[ Quote ]
| Even though Windows Vista has been out since January (or November,
| if you're a business customer), there are still products and applications
| -- including some from Microsoft itself -- that don't work with Vista.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=480

I'm breaking up with Windows Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| But tomorrow, I'm saying goodbye, or at least fare-well to my Windows
| Mobile days.
`----

http://onemanshouting.com/tech/2007/...owsMobile.aspx

T-Mobile Wing Review

,----[ Quote ]
| With that said, Microsoft's Windows Mobile 6 is a disappointment.
| Working with a number of applications or "heavy" documents was
| painful. The delay was too much, especially in Word and PowerPoint
| files that it wasn?t possible for us to work with the device without
| messing up somewhere and not realizing it in the end. This lag is
| present across a number of other scenarios as well.
`----

http://www.cooltechzone.com/Departme..._200706042861/

HTC takes a gamble with new brand and OS strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite making gains in the enterprise and becoming a fairly robust
| and well recognized, if relatively minor, smartphone platform, Windows
| Mobile will clearly be just an element in the mobile picture, and
| probably a small one compared to Linux and the growing family of
| Java-oriented OSs like Symbian/Series 60 or Sun's new developments.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05..._new_strategy/

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is folding its two worst-performing divisions -- Microsoft
| Business Solutions (its business applications unit) and its Mobile and
| Embedded units -- into the Microsoft Business Division and Microsoft Home
| and Entertainment units, respectively.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...129TX1K0000535

How to crash a Windows mobile using MMS

,----[ Quote ]
| Security researchers have released proof-of-concept code that exploits
| vulnerabilities in MMS implementations in mobile phones running
| mobile versions of Windows.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...dows_mms_vuln/

70 percent of smartphones use Symbian

,----[ Quote ]
| At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian.
|
| Linux accounts for 16.9 percent of the smartphone market and only
| 4.6 percent uses Microsoft Windows Mobile.
`----

http://www.dvhardware.net/article17134.html

Microsoft doesn't deny Windows Mobile flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has refused to deny that the most recent version of
| Windows Mobile leaves data poorly secured on handsets.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...9284532,00.htm

Mobile Security, Virtualization on tap at MS Hacking Meet

,----[ Quote ]
| Plus, we've got a couple of talks on Windows Mobile and more about automated
| exploit creation-- this time using Metasploit."
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2007...pcworld/137478

Airscanner Vulnerability Summary: Windows Mobile Security Software Fails the
Test

,----[ Quote ]
| Since developers are not in a hurry to keep their users information
| secure... we feel compelled to publish - with exclusivity granted to us
| by author till August 21, 2006 - an article, that reveals various
| problems with Windows Mobile software from various software vendors!
| This article is a "must read" for any serious user of Windows Mobile...
`----

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5474.html

Review of Windows Mobile 6.0 for PPC (Crossbow) operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| Regrettably, this world lacks miracles and this case is just another
| proof of that. The system still doesn?t offer support for several
| active windows in Internet Explorer, so that you are limited to a
| single window at a time, also profiles are missing in WM; the office
| applications haven?t been enhanced either. Nor were the multimedia
| tools. What the company has really got to do is keep on tuning
| Office Mobile, extending Windows Live, release Windows Media Mobile
| 11 and so on.
`----

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/art...ssbow-en.shtml

Intel chief sings iPhone's praises