Re: [News] Miniature GNU/Linux Laptops to Capture 20% Market Share? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Miniature GNU/Linux Laptops to Capture 20% Market Share? - Linux ; On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:03:56 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Asustek Aims 20% of the PC Market in 2010 with Eee PC. Traditional PCs > Are Too Powerful, Eee PC – Going Back to Basics, Says Asustek > > ...

  1. Re: [News] Miniature GNU/Linux Laptops to Capture 20% Market Share?

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:03:56 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Asustek Aims 20% of the PC Market in 2010 with Eee PC. Traditional PCs
    > Are Too Powerful, Eee PC – Going Back to Basics, Says Asustek
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | “I think the chance of surpassing 20% in 2010 is very high because
    > there will | be further [Asus Eee] products in the future,” said Jonney
    > Shih, chief | executive of Asustek, in an interview with DigiTimes
    > web-site. `----
    >
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/

    display/20071120163919_Asustek_Aims_20_of_the_PC_Market_in _2010_with_Eee_PC.html

    It was bound to happen. The computer has become a commodity item and the
    laptop is following. With computer power exceeding the needs of the
    average user (My 3 GHz P4 usually stays scaled down to 1.5GHz). And linux
    is a great OS to use on these platforms as they can keep the costs down
    while delivering a functional and secure system.

    There's another reason to use these lower powered system: they're greener.
    The Asus Eee PC uses something on the order of 12W under normal load.

  2. Re: [News] Miniature GNU/Linux Laptops to Capture 20% Market Share?

    alt wrote:

    > It was bound to happen. The computer has become a commodity item and the
    > laptop is following. With computer power exceeding the needs of the
    > average user (My 3 GHz P4 usually stays scaled down to 1.5GHz). And linux
    > is a great OS to use on these platforms as they can keep the costs down
    > while delivering a functional and secure system.
    >
    > There's another reason to use these lower powered system: they're greener.
    > The Asus Eee PC uses something on the order of 12W under normal load.

    The GF mentioned the other day that OLPC is doing a 'buy two for the
    price of one' deal. You buy two of their mini-laptops, you keep one
    and the other goes to a needy child. I think maybe she was dropping
    a christmas gift hint. I'm actually tempted to buy four so we
    each can have one.

    Thad

  3. Re: [News] Miniature GNU/Linux Laptops to Capture 20% Market Share?

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 08:31:17 -0600, thad05 wrote:

    > alt wrote:
    >>
    >> It was bound to happen. The computer has become a commodity item and
    >> the laptop is following. With computer power exceeding the needs of the
    >> average user (My 3 GHz P4 usually stays scaled down to 1.5GHz). And
    >> linux is a great OS to use on these platforms as they can keep the
    >> costs down while delivering a functional and secure system.
    >>
    >> There's another reason to use these lower powered system: they're
    >> greener. The Asus Eee PC uses something on the order of 12W under
    >> normal load.

    > The GF mentioned the other day that OLPC is doing a 'buy two for the
    > price of one' deal. You buy two of their mini-laptops, you keep one and
    > the other goes to a needy child. I think maybe she was dropping a
    > christmas gift hint. I'm actually tempted to buy four so we each
    > can have one.
    >
    > Thad

    Yet another tempting toy. Now, if they'd only get rid of the colour
    scheme and go with solid pearl, black or white.... Oh well. I guess for
    the target audience...

+ Reply to Thread