[News] Linux Makes a Great Holiday Gift, Wal-mart Gets Another Heap of Linux Boxes - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Makes a Great Holiday Gift, Wal-mart Gets Another Heap of Linux Boxes - Linux ; There's No System Like Linux for the Holidays ,----[ Quote ] | Holiday shopping season is about to hit full swing, and personal computers | already rank high on many people's wish lists. If you're going to give the | ...

  1. [News] Linux Makes a Great Holiday Gift, Wal-mart Gets Another Heap of Linux Boxes

    There's No System Like Linux for the Holidays

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Holiday shopping season is about to hit full swing, and personal computers
    | already rank high on many people's wish lists. If you're going to give the
    | gift of a new PC, should you consider giving one with Linux? If the receiver
    | is a tech-savvy individual, it may be the perfect gift, and the growing
    | availability of preloaded machines means setup headaches are easily avoided.
    `----

    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Th...ays-60397.html

    Wal-Mart's $199 Linux PC Back In Stock

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The gPC is one of the first Linux-based desktop machines to be offered for
    | sale by a major retailer.
    `----

    gPC - $199 C7 powered PC at Wal-Mart running gOS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now gOS the OS powering the gPC is a unique OS. While I said it is a
    | customized version of Ubuntu, the word 'customized' is an understatement. gOS
    | highlights and encourages users to use web applications instead of the
    | traditional software for their day to day computing tasks.
    `----

    http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/1...-wal-mart.html

    Related:

    gOS Unboxed: Should Microsoft Worry? ¬*

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's rivalry with Google heated up considerably this past year when
    | rumors surfaced that Google might release its own operating system to compete
    | with Windows. Has Google finally jumped into the fray with its own OS?
    `----

    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2219310,00.asp

    A short look at gOS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So after downloading the gOS Live ISO onto my Debian Etch system I started
    | Innotek’s VirtualBox, bound the freshly downloaded ISO as a CD-ROM, made a
    | 4GB virtual hard disk image for installing it, gave that virtual computer
    | 256MB of RAM, and started... ¬*
    `----

    http://blog.thedebianuser.org/?p=255

    Gosh, gOS is good

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I really liked gOS. It's a cute little system with lots of functionality and
    | great looks. It works well and is fast and stable on my laptop. It should
    | work on any computer that any other Linux supports. Enlightenment is an
    | impressive desktop environment, and the iBar is a low-overhead way to blend
    | cool effects with needed functionality. I think users will like it. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/121151

    ReviewLinux.Com: gOS is worth looking into....

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Everybody is going Green. I take a quick look at the new kid on the block.
    | gOS 1.0.1 was released earlier this month and I take a short screenshot tour
    | of this "Green" Linux OS. Check out the short flash video too. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=8247

    gOS-live 1.0 386

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Based on Ubuntu 7.10 Linux system with an Enlightenment E17 interface, the
    | PC's productivity will be almost solely derived from Google applications
    | accessed through Firefox: Mail, Calendar, News, Maps and Documents &
    | Spreadsheets. It also comes with OpenOffice.org 2.2 and some other freeware
    | Linux favorates. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=4822

  2. Re: [News] Linux Makes a Great Holiday Gift, Wal-mart Gets Another Heap of Linux Boxes

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > There's No System Like Linux for the Holidays
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Holiday shopping season is about to hit full swing, and personal
    > | computers already rank high on many people's wish lists. If you're going
    > | to give the gift of a new PC, should you consider giving one with Linux?
    > | If the receiver is a tech-savvy individual, it may be the perfect gift,
    > | and the growing availability of preloaded machines means setup headaches
    > | are easily avoided.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxinsider.com/story

    Theres-No-System-Like-Linux-for-the-Holidays-60397.html

    > Wal-Mart's $199 Linux PC Back In Stock

    When is it coming to UK?
    Wallmart (ASDA in UK) already sell a lot of GNU/Linux systems
    that the public and probably their own staff are unaware of.
    From flat TVs to HD DVD recorders its a lot of Linux.

    So when do we get wallmart 100 pound PC in UK guys?
    I want to buy at least 2.
    Probably 10 to 15 over the next three months if things get busy.

  3. Re: [News] Linux Makes a Great Holiday Gift, Wal-mart Gets Another Heap of Linux Boxes

    ____/ 7 on Wednesday 21 November 2007 23:32 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> There's No System Like Linux for the Holidays
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Holiday shopping season is about to hit full swing, and personal
    >> | computers already rank high on many people's wish lists. If you're going
    >> | to give the gift of a new PC, should you consider giving one with Linux?
    >> | If the receiver is a tech-savvy individual, it may be the perfect gift,
    >> | and the growing availability of preloaded machines means setup headaches
    >> | are easily avoided.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxinsider.com/story

    > Theres-No-System-Like-Linux-for-the-Holidays-60397.html
    >>
    >> Wal-Mart's $199 Linux PC Back In Stock

    > When is it coming to UK?
    > Wallmart (ASDA in UK) already sell a lot of GNU/Linux systems
    > that the public and probably their own staff are unaware of.
    > From flat TVs to HD DVD recorders its a lot of Linux.
    >
    > So when do we get wallmart 100 pound PC in UK guys?
    > I want to buy at least 2.
    > Probably 10 to 15 over the next three months if things get busy.

    Why not Tesco? You can get a better GNU/Linux box with Ubuntu 6.04 (LTS)
    preinstalled for roughly the same price as the rest who sell eSys boxes. Just
    avoid PC World or Dabs (they got acquired).

    The eSys machines are, as you already know, better specced than that gOS
    machine which assumes you want your data on a third party (Google). I've had
    my eSys box for over 2 years at home. It's my main machine and it never
    required upgrades or fixes of broken hardware.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    VISTA - Venereally-Infectious, Sexually-Transmitted Aliment

  4. Re: [News] Linux Makes a Great Holiday Gift, Wal-mart Gets Another Heap of Linux Boxes

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ 7 on Wednesday 21 November 2007 23:32 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> There's No System Like Linux for the Holidays
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxinsider.com/story

    >> Theres-No-System-Like-Linux-for-the-Holidays-60397.html
    >>>
    >>> Wal-Mart's $199 Linux PC Back In Stock

    >> When is it coming to UK?
    >> Wallmart (ASDA in UK) already sell a lot of GNU/Linux systems
    >> that the public and probably their own staff are unaware of.
    >> From flat TVs to HD DVD recorders its a lot of Linux.
    >>
    >> So when do we get wallmart 100 pound PC in UK guys?
    >> I want to buy at least 2.
    >> Probably 10 to 15 over the next three months if things get busy.

    > Why not Tesco? You can get a better GNU/Linux box with Ubuntu 6.04 (LTS)
    > preinstalled for roughly the same price as the rest who sell eSys boxes.
    > Just avoid PC World or Dabs (they got acquired).
    >
    > The eSys machines are, as you already know, better specced than that gOS
    > machine which assumes you want your data on a third party (Google). I've
    > had my eSys box for over 2 years at home. It's my main machine and it
    > never required upgrades or fixes of broken hardware.

    Thanks!
    I didn't know!

  5. Re: [News] Linux Makes a Great Holiday Gift, Wal-mart Gets Another Heap of Linux Boxes

    7 wrote:

    > When is it coming to UK?
    > Wallmart (ASDA in UK) already sell a lot of GNU/Linux systems
    > that the public and probably their own staff are unaware of.
    > From flat TVs to HD DVD recorders its a lot of Linux.

    Yup, most people (and many computer professionals) have no idea
    how pervasive Linux has become in appliances and tech toys. At
    first glance that may seem irrelevant to the desktop market, but
    the increase in Linux software development in the embedded market
    is driving increased Linux workstation deployment among developers
    and more exposure in IT departments that previously hadn't used
    it.

    I recently did a consulting job for a firm rolling out their first
    Linux based embedded product. Over time, the lab and software
    dev cube farm were taken over with Linux systems. When it came
    time for me to test the Linux product with their legacy Windows
    admin tool, I almost couldn't find a Windows box to work on...
    ended up stealing a PC from the clerical staff.

    And most of that conversion to Linux happened under the radar,
    without a purchase order, without showing up on 'market share'
    studies. It is not the only place I've seen like that.

    Later,

    Thad

+ Reply to Thread