[News] Microsoft is Losing to Open Source in DNS Servers - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft is Losing to Open Source in DNS Servers - Linux ; DNS security improves as firms tool up to tackle spam ,----[ Quote ] | Infoblox's survey found that the number of internet-facing DNS servers | increased from 9m in 2006 to 11.5m in 2007, indicative of the overall growth | ...

  1. [News] Microsoft is Losing to Open Source in DNS Servers

    DNS security improves as firms tool up to tackle spam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Infoblox's survey found that the number of internet-facing DNS servers
    | increased from 9m in 2006 to 11.5m in 2007, indicative of the overall growth
    | of the internet. Percentage usage of the most recent and secure version of
    | open-source domain name server software - BIND 9 - increased from 61 per cent
    | to 65 per cent over the last year. Use of BIND 8, by contrast, dropped from
    | 14 per cent in 2006 to 5.6 per cent this year. Usage of the Microsoft DNS
    | Server on web-facing systems also fell, decreasing to to 2.7 per cent in 2007
    | from five per cent last year.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...curity_survey/

    Was Gartner|IDC|MPD paid by Microsoft to produce a study and show how Microsoft
    is losing? No? That's because they only publish paid-for FUD.

    Months ago:

    Microsoft preps 133 patches for Windows DNS hole

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is working on 133 separate updates for the problem, Budd wrote.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9710490-7.html

    Microsoft DNS Server Attacks Continue

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The concept enables malicious users to run code remotely under the
    | system privileges generally granted to the DNS service itself.
    `----

    http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...nue/1176828918

    Microsoft: Patch for critical DNS flaw may be ready by 8 May

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The cmopany has been under pressure to address the flaw, reported
    | last week, since software that exploits it has now been widely
    | disseminated, and criminals are beginning to use it in attacks.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=2650
    http://tinyurl.com/27wje2

    Attack code raises Windows DNS zero-day risk

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At least four exploits for the vulnerability in the Windows domain
    | name system, or DNS, service were published on the Internet over the
    | weekend, Symantec said in an alert Monday.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6176429.html

    Cybercrooks exploiting new Windows DNS flaw

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Cybercrooks are using a yet-to-be-patched security flaw in certain
    | Windows versions to attack computers running the operating systems,
    | Microsoft warned late Thursday.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6175743.html

    Microsoft's advisories giving clues to hackers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | How's this for a new twist on the old responsible disclosure debate:
    | Hackers are taking advantage of information released in Microsoft's
    | pre-patch security advisories to create exploits for zero-day
    | vulnerabilities.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=167

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft is Losing to Open Source in DNS Servers

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > DNS security improves as firms tool up to tackle spam
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Infoblox's survey found that the number of internet-facing DNS servers
    > | increased from 9m in 2006 to 11.5m in 2007, indicative of the overall
    > | growth of the internet. Percentage usage of the most recent and secure
    > | version of open-source domain name server software - BIND 9 - increased
    > | from 61 per cent to 65 per cent over the last year. Use of BIND 8, by
    > | contrast, dropped from 14 per cent in 2006 to 5.6 per cent this year.
    > | Usage of the Microsoft DNS Server on web-facing systems also fell,
    > | decreasing to to 2.7 per cent in 2007 from five per cent last year.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...curity_survey/

    Micoshaft now paying web developers about $200 to stick to using their
    servers. I wonder if all those viri infected windopws servers
    are loosing them so much trade that it now
    means its 'profitable' for them to give away $200 to force
    people to stick with micoshaft crap.

    I pity those who stick with micoshaft for such bribes.

+ Reply to Thread