[News] ATI/AMD Open Source GPU Driver Coming Along Nicely - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] ATI/AMD Open Source GPU Driver Coming Along Nicely - Linux ; ATI HD 2900XT With Open-Source Radeon Driver ,----[ Quote ] | 3D support will hopefully be coming soon for the R500 series with the Radeon | driver, while so far they have XAA/EXA and RandR 1.2 working with these new ...

  1. [News] ATI/AMD Open Source GPU Driver Coming Along Nicely

    ATI HD 2900XT With Open-Source Radeon Driver

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 3D support will hopefully be coming soon for the R500 series with the Radeon
    | driver, while so far they have XAA/EXA and RandR 1.2 working with these new
    | ATI GPU families. The Radeon HD 2000 series will also have 3D support through
    | the Radeon driver but it will come later as the R600 3D engine is an entirely
    | different beast. However, the great news to report today is that the
    | xf86-video-ati driver is functioning with the ATI Radeon HD 2900XT! Alas no
    | 3D support or anything, but the R600 graphics card is detected and
    | functioning with this new AtomBIOS driver branch.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=921&num=1

    Radeon Driver To Support ATI R500/600

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While all of the open-source rage for the ATI R500 and R600 series has been
    | about the official RadeonHD driver, it seems that the Radeon (as in
    | xf86-video-ati) driver will support these new ATI GPU families as well.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjIxMg

    Related:

    Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
    | news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

    AMD Releases 900+ Pages Of GPU Specs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ending off the X Developer Summit this year, Matthew Tippett handed off ATI's
    | GPU specifications to David Airlie on a CD (as reported by Daniel Stone).
    | However, the specifications are also now available on the Internet! *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjA1Mw

    AMD 8.41.7 Display Driver

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This driver does not support AIGLX for Beryl or Compiz, but that support will
    | finally arrive next month with fglrx 8.42. Linux 2.6.23 kernel support for
    | the fglrx driver will hopefully arrive next month as well. *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=833&num=1

    AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Whether you are using a Radeon X300 purchased a few years ago or the Radeon
    | X1950PRO, the 8.41 driver is noticeably faster. How much faster? In many
    | cases it is about 50% faster while in some configurations it may go as high
    | as 90% or more. In fact, in some benchmarks the Mobility Radeon X300 was over
    | 10x faster! * *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=821&num=1

    AMD Delivers Significant Graphics Performance and Compatibility Enhancements
    for Consumer Linux Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Moving forward, AMD also plans to accelerate efforts to address the needs of
    | the open source community as well.
    |
    | "As client computing on Linux continues to grow so has our support and focus
    | on delivering best-in-class performance and compatibility for our products,"
    | said Ben Bar-Haim, vice president of software, Graphics Product Group at AMD.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070905/20070904006432.html?.v=1

  2. Re: [News] ATI/AMD Open Source GPU Driver Coming Along Nicely

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ATI HD 2900XT With Open-Source Radeon Driver
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| 3D support will hopefully be coming soon for the R500 series with the Radeon
    >| driver, while so far they have XAA/EXA and RandR 1.2 working with these new
    >| ATI GPU families. The Radeon HD 2000 series will also have 3D support through
    >| the Radeon driver but it will come later as the R600 3D engine is an entirely
    >| different beast. However, the great news to report today is that the
    >| xf86-video-ati driver is functioning with the ATI Radeon HD 2900XT! Alas no
    >| 3D support or anything, but the R600 graphics card is detected and
    >| functioning with this new AtomBIOS driver branch.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=921&num=1
    >
    > Radeon Driver To Support ATI R500/600
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| While all of the open-source rage for the ATI R500 and R600 series has been
    >| about the official RadeonHD driver, it seems that the Radeon (as in
    >| xf86-video-ati) driver will support these new ATI GPU families as well.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjIxMg

    I wonder if Peter K can find a way to hold this against me?