Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista - Linux ; The majority of IT professionals worry that migrating to Windows Vista will make their networks less stable and more complex, according to a new survey.... The survey, echoing one from Forrester last week, shows most IT professionals are worried about ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 138

  1. Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    The majority of IT professionals worry that migrating to Windows Vista
    will make their networks less stable and more complex, according to a
    new survey....

    The survey, echoing one from Forrester last week, shows most IT
    professionals are worried about Vista and that 44% have considered non-
    Windows operating systems, such as Linux and Macintosh, to avoid the
    Microsoft migration.

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/manag...fm?newsid=6258

  2. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    wrote in message

    > The majority of IT professionals worry that migrating to Windows Vista
    > will make their networks less stable and more complex, according to a
    > new survey....
    >
    > The survey, echoing one from Forrester last week, shows most IT
    > professionals are worried about Vista and that 44% have considered non-
    > Windows operating systems, such as Linux and Macintosh, to avoid the
    > Microsoft migration.
    >

    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/manag...fm?newsid=6258

    There is always a faint hope glimmering in the minds of the Linux faithful
    and they take great comfort from the thought that Mr. Softee has indeed
    screwed the pooch with Vista, but, at the end of the day on the way to the
    bank, MS is richer and richer and Internet click-through stats show next to
    no use of Linux clients and conventional market surveys show Linux in 4th
    place behind Windows, Unix, and IBM mainframe OS as the choice of those who
    actually pay for anything. In short, Linux is still losing badly regardless
    of how many Linux fans you survey.

  3. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    amicus_curious wrote:

    >MS is richer

    We know that M$ market power assures them steady income, you slimey
    POS. All the more ironic that the crapware they produce is inferior
    to that produced by what lying assholes like you call "amateurs".

  4. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >>
    >> The majority of IT professionals worry that migrating to Windows Vista
    >> will make their networks less stable and more complex, according to a
    >> new survey....
    >>
    >> The survey, echoing one from Forrester last week, shows most IT
    >> professionals are worried about Vista and that 44% have considered non-
    >> Windows operating systems, such as Linux and Macintosh, to avoid the
    >> Microsoft migration.

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/manag...fm?newsid=6258

    > There is always a faint hope glimmering in the minds of the Linux faithful
    > and they take great comfort from the thought that Mr. Softee has indeed
    > screwed the pooch with Vista

    And most certainly they have, when over 90% of people who actually know
    something about computers express serious doubts about Vista.

    > , but, at the end of the day on the way to
    > the bank, MS is richer and richer

    Because those incompetent morons from Redmond alas have enough market power
    to shove their latest crapware down the ordinary consumer's throat. "Wanna
    PC? Vista or nothing!"

    > In short, Linux is still losing badly regardless of how many Linux fans
    > you survey.

    Sure. That's why WalMart got clean sold out of their $200 Linux PC's in no
    time at all ("useless for Vista, blazingly fast on Ubuntu"). And why the
    German police wants to get rid of their slow Microsoft crapware. And why
    100.000 kids in Indiana got Linux powered PC's. And why ever more IT
    departments, local and national organizations around the world, and simple
    users take a serious look at Linux.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  5. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    On Nov 20, 1:32 pm, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    wrote:

    > The majority of IT professionals worry that migrating to Windows Vista
    > will make their networks less stable and more complex, according to a
    > new survey....
    >
    > The survey, echoing one from Forrester last week, shows most IT
    > professionals are worried about Vista

    According to the article, 90% were worried about Vista.
    Many companies are purchasing new machines with Windows XP and don't
    realize that what they are really purchasing is Windows Vista Business
    edition which is then "downgraded" to ship the machine with Windows XP
    Professional.

    And if the tech department isn't nixing Vista, the legal department
    and financial department are putting the brakes on migration to
    Vista. Most CEOs have directed their CIO and CTO to be prepared to
    switch to Linux if Microsoft tried another "forced upgrade" similar to
    the one they used to "force feed" XP into corporations.

    This may be one of the reasons that Microsoft has extended permission
    for OEMs to offer Windows XP for 18 months instead of the original 12
    months. Meanwhile, more companies are taking the preliminary actions
    required to make a smooth transition to Linux. They are promoting the
    use of FireFox web browsers, making sure that employees can do what
    they need to do with FireFox. They are deploying OpenOffice and using
    OO or ODF based documents as the standard exchange format between team
    members. More companies are using ODF or PDF as their "standard"
    output format.

    > and that 44% have considered non-Windows operating systems,
    > such as Linux and Macintosh,

    It's possible that Mac will be used as a way to get executives who
    don't want to learn Linux on board. Many companies have also begun to
    offer VMWare images that can be used with VMWare Player as a way to
    "introduce" employees to Linux. Many companies have also opted to own
    their XP licenses, which means that they can transfer them to new
    "Windows" machines and run XP as a VMWare client.

    There is a very real possibility that as many as 44% of these largest
    companies have already made such transition plans, offering the option
    of "Hybrid" systems based on Linux with Windows clients - for
    deployment to employee workstations and laptops.

    > to avoid the Microsoft migration.

    Most people only look at the license fees and basic upgrade costs.
    They often forget that upgrades often require contractors, time to
    back-up and recover data to network storage or USB hard drives, extra
    time to configure and deploy 3rd party applications, and configuration
    of custom applications. The cost of installing all of these things
    into a Windows system, especially a major upgrade such as upgrading
    from XP to Vista can be very expensive.

    In addition, if hardware needs to be upgraded or replaced, the price
    can go even higher. The big problem is that labor costs for
    contractors can cost as much as $100 per hour, and additional costs of
    lost employee productivity can push the cost to as much as $5,000 per
    machine.

    In addition to this, many of the least technical people require the
    most additional re-training. The costs can exceed $5 million per
    1,000 employees. For an organization such as IBM with 450,000
    employees, or an organization such as Prudential with 100,000 PC user
    employees, the logistics can go into the $billions.

    Microsoft cooked it's own goose by trying to make Vista an "all or
    nothing" proposition. By trying to sabotage Linux, Lotus Notes, and
    other third party applications, Microsoft has made Vista "non-grata"
    and any attempt to force upgrades to Vista will probably trigger a
    hard-core push-back by switching as many systems as possible to Linux
    and then licensing only the bare minumum number of machines that must
    run Windows under extended XP licenses.

    This very much resembles the attempt by Microsoft to force upgrades
    from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 or Windows 2003. Each time
    Microsoft tried to declare NT 4.0 "obsolete", they found that
    customers, instead of forking over as much as $20,000 per processor
    for enterprise licenses to Windows 2000 or Windows 2003, were opting
    to switch as many systems as possible to Linux or Unix. In many
    cases, several windows systems were replaced with a substantially
    smaller number of Unix or Linux servers, and often the total cost of
    the Linux or Unix hardware was lower than the various redundant
    Windows servers, and FAR below the cost of those enterprise Windows
    licenses.

    In many cases, vendors such as Oracle and IBM even allowed customers
    to convert their Windows licenses to Linux or Unix licenses at little
    or no additional cost.

    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/manag...e/applications...

  6. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    ____/ Rex Ballard on Tuesday 20 November 2007 22:01 : \____

    > It's possible that Mac will be used as a way to get executives who
    > don't want to learn Linux on board.

    Have a look at the figures in this survey. Linux is more popular than Macs.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
    23:20:02 up 21 days, 3:18, 4 users, load average: 1.93, 1.32, 1.48

  7. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >>MS is richer

    > We know that M$ market power assures them steady income, you slimey
    > POS. All the more ironic that the crapware they produce is inferior
    > to that produced by what lying assholes like you call "amateurs".

    So you actually agree with me that Linux is a loser? Nevermind if the game
    is fair or not, it is the winning and the losing that matters, eh?

  8. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> The majority of IT professionals worry that migrating to Windows Vista
    >>> will make their networks less stable and more complex, according to a
    >>> new survey....
    >>>
    >>> The survey, echoing one from Forrester last week, shows most IT
    >>> professionals are worried about Vista and that 44% have considered non-
    >>> Windows operating systems, such as Linux and Macintosh, to avoid the
    >>> Microsoft migration.

    "most IT professionals" certainly includes Microsoft executives, and IT
    staff, because, Hotmail runs on 15,000 Free BSD servers, starting with
    the 6,500 FreeBSD and GNU/Linux servers when purchased by Microsoft, in
    1997.

    Three phases of attempted integration of IIS, Server 2003; Server 2000;
    NT server/Back Office Server; had all failed due to being untenable(upto
    12 Microsoft servers necessary to replace each 'Nix server), making it
    exhorbitantly expensive.

    Microsoft.com, MSN.com run 15,000 Akamai GNU/Linux leased servers.

    All corporate routers/firewalls are leased Aruba units, running GNU/Linux.

    Warp the figures all you like, but, the facts are clear. Even Microsoft
    needs, likes, and runs, GNU/Linux and *BSD. Microsoft recognizes
    genius, and uses it, leasing the necessary parts, and ports, such as the
    TCP/IP stacks, so that Microsoft can load/run networking in all products!

  9. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    ____/ AHappyCamper on Wednesday 21 November 2007 02:38 : \____

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> wrote in message

    > "most IT professionals" certainly includes Microsoft executives, and IT
    > staff, because, Hotmail runs on 15,000 Free BSD servers, starting with
    > the 6,500 FreeBSD and GNU/Linux servers when purchased by Microsoft, in
    > 1997.
    >
    > Three phases of attempted integration of IIS, Server 2003; Server 2000;
    > NT server/Back Office Server; had all failed due to being untenable(upto
    > 12 Microsoft servers necessary to replace each 'Nix server), making it
    > exhorbitantly expensive.
    >
    > Microsoft.com, MSN.com run 15,000 Akamai GNU/Linux leased servers.
    >
    > All corporate routers/firewalls are leased Aruba units, running GNU/Linux.
    >
    > Warp the figures all you like, but, the facts are clear. Even Microsoft
    > needs, likes, and runs, GNU/Linux and *BSD. Microsoft recognizes
    > genius, and uses it, leasing the necessary parts, and ports, such as the
    > TCP/IP stacks, so that Microsoft can load/run networking in all products!

    It has recently bought two companies (one of them for 6 billiob dollars) whose
    entire business is built on Free software and GNU/Linux.

    I guess Microsoft has to acquire the best, and the best build themselves up not
    owing to Microsoft 'technologies'.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | McDonald's Certified Sandwich Engineer (MCSE)
    Mem: 515500k total, 444248k used, 71252k free, 5676k buffers

  10. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    Ah look, someone talking out of their ass, again. The thing is, you've
    been shown where you are wrong before, several times, yet you keep
    repeating the same misinformation over and over again. That means you're
    doing it deliberately.

    Let's count the ways:

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:38:24 -0500, AHappyCamper wrote:

    > "most IT professionals" certainly includes Microsoft executives, and IT
    > staff, because, Hotmail runs on 15,000 Free BSD servers, starting with
    > the 6,500 FreeBSD and GNU/Linux servers when purchased by Microsoft, in
    > 1997.

    Bull****. Yeah, Hotmail ran on FreeBSD (not Linux, ever) servers when MS
    bought it, and it took them a good 3 years to migrate it, but as of the
    release of windows 2000, Hotmail has run on Windows (with the exception of
    some ad servers that run a single-tasking web server).

    This internal document that leaked out talks about the conversion:

    http://www.securityoffice.net/mssecrets/hotmail.html

    Bull****.

    > Microsoft.com, MSN.com run 15,000 Akamai GNU/Linux leased servers.

    Really? Where?

    http://www.securityoffice.net/mssecrets/hotmail.html
    http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=www.msn.com

    > All corporate routers/firewalls are leased Aruba units, running GNU/Linux.

    That's interesting, considering that Aruba Networks doesn't make routers or
    firewalls. That's truly an amazing feat.

    Aruba Networks makes Wireless access points and access point maintenance
    and security products. It runs what they call "ArubaOS", which is likely
    Linux based, but really not important. These devices have nothing to do
    with Microsoft's public web farm.

  11. Hotmail uses Windows (was Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch

    wrote
    on Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:04:55 -0600
    <1usjfeo9lopqd.dlg@funkenbusch.com>:
    > Ah look, someone talking out of their ass, again. The thing is, you've
    > been shown where you are wrong before, several times, yet you keep
    > repeating the same misinformation over and over again. That means you're
    > doing it deliberately.
    >
    > Let's count the ways:
    >
    > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:38:24 -0500, AHappyCamper wrote:
    >
    >> "most IT professionals" certainly includes Microsoft executives, and IT
    >> staff, because, Hotmail runs on 15,000 Free BSD servers, starting with
    >> the 6,500 FreeBSD and GNU/Linux servers when purchased by Microsoft, in
    >> 1997.

    > Bull****. Yeah, Hotmail ran on FreeBSD (not Linux, ever) servers when MS
    > bought it, and it took them a good 3 years to migrate it, but as of the
    > release of windows 2000, Hotmail has run on Windows (with the exception of
    > some ad servers that run a single-tasking web server).

    Confirmed.

    Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0

    One ultimately ends up at login.live.com, which is presumably
    a Microsoft replacement for Passport and used to authenticate
    service users.

    If *BSD is here, it's well hidden.

    [rest snipped]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Is it cheaper to learn Linux, or to hire someone
    to fix your Windows problems?

  12. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    "Rex Ballard" wrote in message
    > On Nov 20, 1:32 pm, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> The majority of IT professionals worry that migrating to Windows Vista
    >> will make their networks less stable and more complex, according to a
    >> new survey....
    >>
    >> The survey, echoing one from Forrester last week, shows most IT
    >> professionals are worried about Vista

    > According to the article, 90% were worried about Vista.
    > Many companies are purchasing new machines with Windows XP and don't
    > realize that what they are really purchasing is Windows Vista Business
    > edition which is then "downgraded" to ship the machine with Windows XP
    > Professional.
    >
    > And if the tech department isn't nixing Vista, the legal department
    > and financial department are putting the brakes on migration to
    > Vista. Most CEOs have directed their CIO and CTO to be prepared to
    > switch to Linux if Microsoft tried another "forced upgrade" similar to
    > the one they used to "force feed" XP into corporations.

    Proof? Where exactly is the proof that "Most CEOs have directed their CIO
    and CTO to be prepared to switch to Linux if Microsoft tried..."

    Seems to me that you are simply a liar^h^h^h another advocate pulling facts
    out of your ass.

  13. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    amicus_curious wrote:

    >"chrisv" wrot:
    >>
    >> We know that M$ market power assures them steady income, you slimey
    >> POS. All the more ironic that the crapware they produce is inferior
    >> to that produced by what lying assholes like you call "amateurs".
    >>

    >So you actually agree with me that Linux is a loser?

    Not unless your name is "Linux", loser.

    >Nevermind if the game
    >is fair or not, it is the winning and the losing that matters, eh?

    For greedy, immoral scum, like you and your masters? Of course!

  14. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, HangEveryRepubliKKKan

    wrote
    on Mon, 19 Nov 2007 06:27:12 -0800
    :

    > "Rex Ballard" wrote
    >> According to the article, 90% were worried about Vista.
    >> Many companies are purchasing new machines with Windows XP and don't
    >> realize that what they are really purchasing is Windows Vista Business
    >> edition which is then "downgraded" to ship the machine with Windows XP
    >> Professional.

    > How many is many? 5? 20? 50?
    >
    > Provide numbers Fudman.

    Better yet, provide a detailed research study that shows
    these numbers as well. Include in these numbers the size
    of the purchasing budgets of these companies (1 10,000
    employee company can skew 1,000 10 employee "mom and pop"
    operations).

    I'm not sure which is the best metric:
    - gross sales,
    - profit,
    - number of desktops,
    - number of machines,
    - number of processors,
    - number of servers, or
    - number of employees.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Because it's not a question of if.
    It's a question of when.

  15. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 04:22:48 -0800, HangEveryRepubliKKKan

    >> Then get Linux to ****ing well install and run properly (1) and get
    >> rid of the 100,000 different and often incompatible versions of
    >> Linux (2) there are out there, and stop forcing uses to use a
    >> teletype command line (3) do anything involving configuration, get a
    >> ****ing device manager (4), get some ****ing support for modern
    >> hardware (5) and then maybe you will have a hope in hell of getting
    >> people to switch.

    > Five lies in one sentence. Trying to break the record? You'll have
    > to do
    > better than that; the other windows trolls routinely do double that.

    Naturally you can't prove that lie.

    The record I've seen is 6 lies in one sentence by a cola idiot named
    Aragorn:

    > Maybe in a couple of years, after you've
    > upgraded your hardware to a 64-bit CPU with 4 GB RAM just to be able
    > to accommodate Windows Vista - which is nothing more than an updated
    > XP - and see it go BSOD, require umpteen reboots or get compromised by
    > malware within 20 minutes after you've taken it for its first ride on
    > the Internet, you will realize.

    Lie 1: 64-bit required for Vista
    Lie 2: 4gb RAM required for Vista
    Lie 3: nothing more than an updated XP
    Lie 4: I've installed Vista 3x, downloaded various video and sound drivers,
    installed and played old and new games, and it has yet to even hiccup let
    alone BSOD
    Lie 5: requires umpteen reboots (truth is it requires few reboots)
    Lie 6: compromised w/in 20 minutes of being on the 'Net

    Now it's your turn, liar: show us 6 (or routinely 10 as you claim) lies in
    one sentence by a "troll". Or slink away like a chicken**** lying
    "advocate" always does.

  16. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    DFS wrote:

    > The record I've seen is 6 lies in one sentence by a cola idiot named
    > Aragorn:
    >
    >> Maybe in a couple of years, after you've
    >> upgraded your hardware to a 64-bit CPU with 4 GB RAM just to be able
    >> to accommodate Windows Vista - which is nothing more than an updated
    >> XP - and see it go BSOD, require umpteen reboots or get compromised
    >> by malware within 20 minutes after you've taken it for its first
    >> ride on the Internet, you will realize.

    > Lie 1: 64-bit required for Vista
    > Lie 2: 4gb RAM required for Vista
    > Lie 3: nothing more than an updated XP
    > Lie 4: I've installed Vista 3x, downloaded various video and sound
    > drivers, installed and played old and new games, and it has yet to
    > even hiccup let alone BSOD
    > Lie 5: requires umpteen reboots (truth is it requires few reboots)
    > Lie 6: compromised w/in 20 minutes of being on the 'Net

    Aragorn has left the building.

  17. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 22 November 2007 23:35 : \____

    >> BTW, the same goes for the software, crops, energy, and music
    >> industry. The conversation I had concentrated on the Nike example.

    > http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2nAe4_b9itk
    >
    > $1.60 a *day*. How many shoes do these children each make per day? 100?
    >
    > They're paid a few cents, for something that consumers pay as much as
    > $200 for.
    >
    > Western companies that use sweatshops should be dissolved, and their
    > directors imprisoned.

    ^^^^^^^^^^

    First you'll need to have the bribed politicians impeached. It's an interesting
    scenario and just one among many. RMS, for example, keeps his eye on Killer
    Coke. There's not much corruption one can keep track of and combat at one
    time. Intel, Microsoft, Blackwater, GW, Samsung (recent corruption), Siemens
    (endless briberies), Cisco (recent fraud), clothing, pharmaceuticals, animal
    abuse, ocean/river water contamination, air pollution (emissions), dumping of
    electronic waste on overseas populations...

    Pick one or pick a few and do what you can......

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Network traffic is being polluted by SPAM. Help the Internet. Adopt *nix.
    03:20:01 up 23 days, 7:18, 4 users, load average: 0.55, 0.58, 1.14

  18. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    "[H]omer" wrote in message news:rbgh15-1gb.ln1@sky.matrix...

    >> BTW, the same goes for the software, crops, energy, and music
    >> industry. The conversation I had concentrated on the Nike example.

    > http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2nAe4_b9itk
    >
    > $1.60 a *day*. How many shoes do these children each make per day? 100?
    >
    > They're paid a few cents, for something that consumers pay as much as
    > $200 for.
    >
    > Western companies that use sweatshops should be dissolved, and their
    > directors imprisoned.

    More silly thinking, Homer. What is the alternative to paying companies in
    these regions to produce one's goods and thereby staying out of your
    threatened prison? To not pay them, of course, and produce one's goods
    elsewhere which would mean that those earning $1.60 per day would earn
    nothing per day. Is that an improvement? Perhaps you could give them a
    clumsy computer and they would prosper. Not very damn likely, eh?

  19. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    * amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

    > Ask yourself the honest question in regard to your own achievements. Have
    > you ever done anything that made the slightest change in the way that the
    > world behaves? I have ...

    What have /you/ done?

    > and Bill Gates certainly has and even Linus Torvalds
    > has, But has [H]omer the Loon? I doubt it. And if I am wrong, I would
    > apologize if you were to give any hint of what that might have been and
    > could describe how you managed to do it.
    >>

    > Such an overdone allegory is a poor way to show that you have any aptitude
    > for cleverness, [H]omer! You look foolish and shallow. You also show a
    > complete lack of understanding of how poker is played, but I doubt that
    > ocurred to you.

    Again, one has to ask, what have /you/ done?

    --
    Tux rox!

  20. Re: Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    Dash Dash Space

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast