Re: [News] Server Goes Off the Desktop, Prices to Fall - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Server Goes Off the Desktop, Prices to Fall - Linux ; * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply: > Software-licensing costs predicted to fall > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Gartner also predicts that a fourth of all new business software will be >| delivered by software as a service ...

  1. Re: [News] Server Goes Off the Desktop, Prices to Fall

    * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:

    > Software-licensing costs predicted to fall
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Gartner also predicts that a fourth of all new business software will be
    >| delivered by software as a service by 2011.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.news.com/Software-licensi...0-20&subj=news
    >
    > Gartner: SaaS and open source pressuring proprietary software vendors to drop
    > prices
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Of course, it's going to take a long time to topple decades of wasteful,
    >| inefficient software practices, but we'll get there. Maybe it will take
    >| decades. But eventually customers will win
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-982...&subj=NewsBlog

    Sooooo! How much software do youuuu want to buy?

  2. Re: [News] Server Goes Off the Desktop, Prices to Fall

    ____/ Linonut on Tuesday 20 November 2007 12:47 : \____

    > * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Software-licensing costs predicted to fall
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Gartner also predicts that a fourth of all new business software will be
    >>| delivered by software as a service by 2011.
    >> `----

    http://www.news.com/Software-licensi...0-20&subj=news

    >> Gartner: SaaS and open source pressuring proprietary software vendors to
    >> drop prices
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Of course, it's going to take a long time to topple decades of wasteful,
    >>| inefficient software practices, but we'll get there. Maybe it will take
    >>| decades. But eventually customers will win
    >> `----

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-982...&subj=NewsBlog

    > Sooooo! How much software do youuuu want to buy?

    I never bought software.
    http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archiv...hout-software/

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL - Global Programmer's Law
    Swap: 1510068k total, 397316k used, 1112752k free, 66868k cached

  3. Re: [News] Server Goes Off the Desktop, Prices to Fall

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Software-licensing costs predicted to fall
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Gartner also predicts that a fourth of all new business software will be
    >>| delivered by software as a service by 2011.
    >> `----

    http://www.news.com/Software-licensi...0-20&subj=news

    >> Gartner: SaaS and open source pressuring proprietary software vendors to
    >> drop prices
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Of course, it's going to take a long time to topple decades of wasteful,
    >>| inefficient software practices, but we'll get there. Maybe it will take
    >>| decades. But eventually customers will win
    >> `----

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-982...&subj=NewsBlog

    > Sooooo! How much software do youuuu want to buy?

    I spent a fortune on software this year. I paid for StarOffice on a new
    machine. It was nearly £30. (puts flat cap on floor and wait for
    donations).

  4. Re: [News] Server Goes Off the Desktop, Prices to Fall

    ____/ BearItAll on Tuesday 20 November 2007 14:15 : \____

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Roy Schestowitz fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >>> Software-licensing costs predicted to fall
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----

    http://www.news.com/Software-licensi...0-20&subj=news

    >>> Gartner: SaaS and open source pressuring proprietary software vendors to
    >>> drop prices
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-982...&subj=NewsBlog

    >> Sooooo! How much software do youuuu want to buy?

    > I spent a fortune on software this year. I paid for StarOffice on a new
    > machine. It was nearly £30. (puts flat cap on floor and wait for
    > donations).

    You know, with Google Pack, Windows users can get StarOffice for free now. I
    don't know why Linux is left out in the cold in that respect. Chris DiBona
    wouldn't tell me, but then again, there's no Google Pack for Linux.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
    00:05:01 up 21 days, 4:03, 4 users, load average: 0.48, 0.67, 0.88

  5. Re: [News] Server Goes Off the Desktop, Prices to Fall

    ____/ [H]omer on Thursday 22 November 2007 07:55 : \____

    >> You know, with Google Pack, Windows users can get StarOffice for free
    >> now. I don't know why Linux is left out in the cold in that respect.
    >> Chris DiBona wouldn't tell me, but then again, there's no Google
    >> Pack for Linux.

    > Last time I checked, nearly all of the software in that "pack" was
    > available as separate packages for GNU/Linux anyway. The Windows
    > exclusive (WOW!) software, includes the obligatory anti-virus and
    > anti-spyware (of course), a toolbar thingie for that IE browser that
    > nobody uses any more, and the equally obligatory screensaver (we all
    > know how those "productive" Windows types love playing with *those*,
    > don't we? Well ... in between virus scans, registry fixes, BSODs,
    > reboots, and defragging of course.
    >
    > As for StarOffice, the only difference between that and OOo (AFAICT) is
    > a bunch of templates and clip-art. Big whoop.
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/software/star/ope...arison_OOo.pdf
    >
    > Closer inspection reveals that OOo is actually ahead in terms of
    > supported languages and platforms. There are a number of StarOffice
    > "features" for which the OOo equivalents are merely listed as "Community
    > Developed" - i.e. "equal or better". That's the bit they don't want you
    > to know. Given that StarOffice is actually based on OOo, and *not* vice
    > versa, and that it is Free (and free), frankly I don't understand why
    > anyone would bother with StarOffice at all.
    >
    > I seem to recall a rather lame excuse (seen online somewhere) from years
    > ago, where someone was claiming that their company could not use free
    > (cost) software, since there needed to be a non-zero value invoice for
    > all "assets" used by the company, for the purpose of auditing and tax
    > accounting. Whether or not that was a load of bollocks, I don't know,
    > but I also seem to recall Sun using that as an excuse for beginning to
    > charge a nominal fee for StarOffice, where it was previously (for a
    > time) free. My memory's a bit hazy on the subject, but that's the gist.
    >
    > If true, I think it's hilarious (and quite scary) that companies may not
    > be allowed to have so-called "free assets". It seems quite perverted.

    Fedora in Russia. You know how that story goss... I can't recall if that made
    Slashdot last year.

    Madness.

    Defense procurement ill-suited for open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In order to fully take advantage of open-source software, Defense Department
    | agencies may need to rethink how they do procurement, said Fritz Schulz, who
    | works in the chief technology office of the Defense Information Systems
    | Agency. *
    `----

    http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/45376-1.html

    Expensive =good.

    Cheap? Bad!!! Says the prick at the top....

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Ping this IP, see if it responds the second time"