Re: [News] GNU/Linux in NASA's Mars Rovers - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] GNU/Linux in NASA's Mars Rovers - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz espoused: > Interview: The driver behind NASA's Mars Rovers > > ,----[ Quote ] >| It all runs on a collection of high-end Linux boxes -- nice systems, but >| commodity PC hardware. Since 3-D visualisation is a ...

  1. Re: [News] GNU/Linux in NASA's Mars Rovers

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Interview: The driver behind NASA's Mars Rovers
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| It all runs on a collection of high-end Linux boxes -- nice systems, but
    >| commodity PC hardware. Since 3-D visualisation is a big part of the job, the
    >| Linux boxes sport bonzer NVIDIA graphics cards.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....563338166;pp;1

    Unless nVidia get their arses in gear, they will be sporting ATI cards
    soon using their free driver.

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux in NASA's Mars Rovers

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Interview: The driver behind NASA's Mars Rovers
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| It all runs on a collection of high-end Linux boxes -- nice systems, but
    >>| commodity PC hardware. Since 3-D visualisation is a big part of the job,
    >>| the Linux boxes sport bonzer NVIDIA graphics cards.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....563338166;pp;1
    >>

    > Unless nVidia get their arses in gear, they will be sporting ATI cards
    > soon using their free driver.

    Which is not yet ready anytime soon
    --
    Computers are like air conditioners -
    they stop working properly when you open Windows

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux in NASA's Mars Rovers

    ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Tuesday 20 November 2007 09:34 : \____

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Interview: The driver behind NASA's Mars Rovers
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....563338166;pp;1
    >>>

    >> Unless nVidia get their arses in gear, they will be sporting ATI cards
    >> soon using their free driver.
    >>

    > Which is not yet ready anytime soon

    True, but it's maturing, so there's hope and expectation.

    BTW, it made me chuckle earlier when I found an analyst (everyone, bow for the
    almighty analysts!!11) who said that NVIDIA ought to buy AMD.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | No Makefile, no business
    Tasks: 132 total, 1 running, 129 sleeping, 1 stopped, 1 zombie

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux in NASA's Mars Rovers

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Tuesday 20 November 2007 09:34 : \____
    >
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> Unless nVidia get their arses in gear, they will be sporting ATI cards
    >>> soon using their free driver.
    >>>

    >> Which is not yet ready anytime soon

    > True, but it's maturing, so there's hope and expectation.

    It won't be long, which will be good for ATI and very very good for
    people with non x86 machines who'd like some openGL.

    > BTW, it made me chuckle earlier when I found an analyst (everyone, bow for the
    > almighty analysts!!11) who said that NVIDIA ought to buy AMD.

    Mmmmmm, not sure how that would help nVidia. Apart from buying them to
    kill them, there is no clear reason, and as they're owned by AMD anyway,
    you'd have to buy all of AMD, not just ATI.

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux in NASA's Mars Rovers

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 20 November 2007 15:36 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Tuesday 20 November 2007 09:34 : \____

    >>> Which is not yet ready anytime soon

    >> True, but it's maturing, so there's hope and expectation.

    > It won't be long, which will be good for ATI and very very good for
    > people with non x86 machines who'd like some openGL.
    >

    >> BTW, it made me chuckle earlier when I found an analyst (everyone, bow for
    >> the almighty analysts!!11) who said that NVIDIA ought to buy AMD.
    >>

    > Mmmmmm, not sure how that would help nVidia. Apart from buying them to
    > kill them, there is no clear reason, and as they're owned by AMD anyway,
    > you'd have to buy all of AMD, not just ATI.

    The FTC would never approve it (unless Microsoft got involved and
    bribed/prodded all its insiders in government, as it usually does). Anyway, it
    was Eric Savitz who mentioned this predication and had a little fun with it as
    well. _Anal_ysts, as the name suggests, sometimes speak out of their behinds.
    Stock symbols and numbers are not enough to make market predictions which
    involve technology.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Microsoft loves competition.
    "I’m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
    they should do a delicate dance"
    --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief

+ Reply to Thread