[News] New Video of a Linux-only Shop in the US - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] New Video of a Linux-only Shop in the US - Linux ; North America's first Linux-only computer store! PART1 ,----[ Quote ] | This is one of many short video segments which will be added to the Digital | Tipping Point (DTP) archive. This series of segments features interviews with | the ...

  1. [News] New Video of a Linux-only Shop in the US

    North America's first Linux-only computer store! PART1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is one of many short video segments which will be added to the Digital
    | Tipping Point (DTP) archive. This series of segments features interviews with
    | the David and Mark Silverman, the owners of Sub300.com, North America's first
    | Linux-only computer store! Yep, no Microsoft. No Mac. The slogan for their
    | store is "Costs less, no Microsoft mess."
    `----

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKa6PNh573Y

    How things have changed since then (video uploaded yesterday). Preinstalled
    Linux is everywhere (and still expanding).

  2. Re: [News] New Video of a Linux-only Shop in the US

    ____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 20 November 2007 18:52 : \____

    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKa6PNh573Y

    > Wrong link?
    >
    > That one seems to be a bloke who's not too thrilled about IE7.
    >
    > Try this instead:
    >
    > http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JGraniegYwE
    >
    > Although they seem to be promoting The Monkey Club distros, "You don't
    > want to have a computer degree just to write a letter"???
    >
    > I wonder what he thinks that (in this case) Linspire provides by way of
    > word processing; that Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, or any of the other 300
    > or so distros don't?
    >
    > Still, it's great that Linux is making it on the American High Street,
    > albeit in a rather less-than-Free form.

    It seems to be extracted from the Digital Tipping Point footage. Linspire used
    to be a little more decent before that **** who ran the company (later ran
    away) spread GPL FUD and signed a deal with Al Capone.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Here be hills, there be dragons!
    Mem: 515500k total, 444396k used, 71104k free, 2916k buffers

  3. Re: [News] New Video of a Linux-only Shop in the US

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:52:13 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

    > I wonder what he thinks that (in this case) Linspire provides by way of
    > word processing; that Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, or any of the other 300
    > or so distros don't?
    >
    > Still, it's great that Linux is making it on the American High Street,
    > albeit in a rather less-than-Free form.

    I think it's great that he has a deal with Linspire so sells it and that
    he doesn't have a deal with Fedora or Mandriva. Real competition is when
    there's a guy next door hawking one of those

    Mac bait (but a serious point): with more people *willingly* going from
    Windows to Mac, they've now lost their OS cherry and will be more open to
    viewing an OS as a commodity.

    -Thufir

+ Reply to Thread