Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD - Linux

This is a discussion on Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD - Linux ; Apple's OSX now beats Linux and MS Exchange Server on ALL fronts, at 1/5th the price, for TWICE the speed! Enjoy! -- Open Standards Certification Strengthens Across System Platforms SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 19 2007 -- The Open Group, a vendor ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    --

    Open Standards Certification Strengthens Across System Platforms

    SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 19 2007 -- The Open Group, a vendor and
    technology-neutral consortium focused on open standards and global
    interoperability within and between enterprises, today announced that
    both Mac OS X Leopard and Mac OS X Server Leopard from Apple Inc. have
    been awarded a certificate of conformance to the UNIX(R) 03 standard.

    UNIX 03 is the certification mark for systems conforming to the latest
    UNIX product standard developed by The Open Group Platform Forum for the
    Single UNIX Specification version 3.

    This certification is significant as it further broadens the installed
    base of UNIX systems in the marketplace to include a popular desktop
    platform. In addition, Apple's UNIX 03 certification is a milestone for
    the UNIX certification program since Mac OS X is the first operating
    system derived from the open source BSD base of historical UNIX products
    to meet the certification requirements.

    The Single UNIX Specification is a set of open specifications that
    define the requirements for a conformant UNIX system. Operating systems
    that support the Single UNIX Specification provide a set of standard
    interfaces allowing the rich catalog of back office and other
    applications that comply with the specification to be easily ported
    between the compliant operating systems. With certification of Mac OS X,
    end users now benefit from such applications available on a range of
    certified UNIX 03 systems available from major vendors, including Apple,
    Fujitsu, IBM, Hewlett-Packard, and Sun Microsystems.

    "For over ten years, the Single UNIX Specification has consistently
    provided both scalability and stability to end users -- one hallmark of a
    tried and true technology standard," said Allen Brown, president and CEO
    for The Open Group. "Operating platforms conforming to the UNIX 03
    standard assures enterprises with industrial strength products, as well
    as an opportunity to avoid limited choice in vendor partnership. In
    achieving UNIX 03 certification, Apple has shown true commitment to its
    customers in providing open solutions that are warranted and fully
    supported."

    Further information on The Open Group can be found at
    http://www.opengroup.org.

    Full Article:

    http://snipurl.com/1two4

    If you want to move up to the World's most modern UNIX, go here:

    http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/

    http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/specs.html

    World's lowest priced, fastest hardware here:

    http://www.apple.com/xserve/

    Apple is the future of all serious UNIX, and MS Exchange users, so join
    in the fun!

    http://www.apple.com/xserve/specs.html

    http://developer.apple.com/

    -

  2. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    Did not know MS Exchange Server was considered an OS! Might be worth
    comparing apples to apples.

    --
    John Oliver, Jr
    MCSE, MCT, CCNA

    "Oxford" wrote in message
> [...]
    > for The Open Group. "Operating platforms conforming to the UNIX 03
    > standard assures enterprises with industrial strength products, as well
    > as an opportunity to avoid limited choice in vendor partnership. In
    > achieving UNIX 03 certification, Apple has shown true commitment to its
    > customers in providing open solutions that are warranted and fully
    > supported."
    >
    > Further information on The Open Group can be found at
    > http://www.opengroup.org.
    >
    > Full Article:
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/1two4
    >
    > If you want to move up to the World's most modern UNIX, go here:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/specs.html
    >
    > World's lowest priced, fastest hardware here:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/xserve/
    >
    > Apple is the future of all serious UNIX, and MS Exchange users, so join

  3. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    or that Apple's OS was a messaging server...

    --
    Susan Conkey [MVP]

    "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" wrote in message
> [...]
    >> for The Open Group. "Operating platforms conforming to the UNIX 03
    >> standard assures enterprises with industrial strength products, as well
    >> as an opportunity to avoid limited choice in vendor partnership. In
    >> achieving UNIX 03 certification, Apple has shown true commitment to its
    >> customers in providing open solutions that are warranted and fully
    >> supported."
    >>
    >> Further information on The Open Group can be found at
    >> http://www.opengroup.org.
    >>
    >> Full Article:
    >>
    >> http://snipurl.com/1two4
    >>
    >> If you want to move up to the World's most modern UNIX, go here:
    >>
    >> http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/
    >>
    >> http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/specs.html
    >>
    >> World's lowest priced, fastest hardware here:
    >>
    >> http://www.apple.com/xserve/
    >>
    >> Apple is the future of all serious UNIX, and MS Exchange users, so join

  4. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    * Oxford fired off this tart reply:

    > Apple's OSX now beats Linux and MS Exchange Server on ALL fronts, at
    > 1/5th the price, for TWICE the speed!

    My favorite book, "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment", gives
    equal time to Solaris, Apple OSX, FreeBSD, and Linux.

    That's all I need to know.

    And guess what? They all have slightly different features set that they
    support in their implementations of the "UNIX API".

    Oh, your comparison of OSX to MS Exchange Server is extremely
    misinformed, as is the price and speed comparison to Linux. From what
    I've heard, Linux now has a very fast TCP/IP stack.

    Maybe you should be back to making a Web page, a blog, a digital
    painting, or something else more in line with your skillset.

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    >Maybe you should be back to making a Web page, a blog, a digital
    >painting, or something else more in line with your skillset.

    I don't know. Perhaps don't suggest anything sharp. Crayons should be
    ok for him.

  6. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:26:32 -0700, Oxford
    wrote:

    >Apple's OSX now beats Linux and MS Exchange Server on ALL fronts, at
    >1/5th the price, for TWICE the speed!

    You might as well say that the Ipod plays Itunes better than Exchange.

    >Enjoy!

  7. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    Andy David {MVP} wrote:

    > >Apple's OSX now beats Linux and MS Exchange Server on ALL fronts, at
    > >1/5th the price, for TWICE the speed!

    > You might as well say that the Ipod plays Itunes better than Exchange.

    How so? OSX Server already wipes out MS Exchange at every level.

    MS is clearly caught since they can no longer produce software at the
    level of OSX Server.

    "Unlimited Seats" for $999, and fully UNIX and Exchange compliant...

    Microsoft is a dead end for anyone considering an enterprise level
    solution.

    Apple has Bill by the BALLS, and he knows it. Bill is leaving next
    summer since he knows Apple is going to wipe out Corporate America with
    OSX Server.

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/

    No need for MS, once you have this turned on...

    http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/specs.html

    MS is an albatross, just as WANG and IBM were in the early 80's.

    Apple has the far stronger product, and the heavy weight hardware that
    can spell the end to corporate waste.

    http://www.apple.com/xserve/

    http://www.apple.com/xserve/raid/

    the BIG Boys go here:

    http://www.apple.com/itpro/

    nuff said...

    -

  8. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:46:56 -0700, Oxford
    wrote:

    >Andy David {MVP} wrote:
    >
    >> >Apple's OSX now beats Linux and MS Exchange Server on ALL fronts, at
    >> >1/5th the price, for TWICE the speed!

    >> You might as well say that the Ipod plays Itunes better than Exchange.

    >How so? OSX Server already wipes out MS Exchange at every level.

    lol!

  9. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    Linonut wrote:

    > > Apple's OSX now beats Linux and MS Exchange Server on ALL fronts, at
    > > 1/5th the price, for TWICE the speed!

    > My favorite book, "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment", gives
    > equal time to Solaris, Apple OSX, FreeBSD, and Linux.
    >
    > That's all I need to know.
    >
    > And guess what? They all have slightly different features set that they
    > support in their implementations of the "UNIX API".

    Yes, and Apple's implementation will be the standard in the 10, 20 year
    time frame. Linux had a chance but didn't execute. OSX Server is now the
    king of business computing.

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/

    > Oh, your comparison of OSX to MS Exchange Server is extremely
    > misinformed, as is the price and speed comparison to Linux. From what
    > I've heard, Linux now has a very fast TCP/IP stack.
    >
    > Maybe you should be back to making a Web page, a blog, a digital
    > painting, or something else more in line with your skillset.

    I just know from history that Apple's OSX Server will become the
    dominate platform for businesses worldwide.

    Linux is 1/5th the sales of OSX Server or OSX Client, so Linux had a
    shot but didn't organize in time. Now Apple owns the future of all
    business computing.

    Ah, but you forget, MS Exchange is largely used in poorly performing
    companies. Nobody wants to use it unless they are forced.

    Those are facts.

    So given some time OSX Server will be the light that helps many
    companies move into the open source universe since Apple is the primary
    champion of those goals.

    Have a happy day!

    http://www.apple.com/mac/

    -

  10. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:26:32 -0700, Oxford wrote:

    > Apple's OSX now beats Linux and MS Exchange Server on ALL fronts, at
    > 1/5th the price, for TWICE the speed!
    >
    > Enjoy!

    Hey, jerk... why do you keep showing up where you are not wanted?

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:04:05 -0700, Oxford wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> > Apple's OSX now beats Linux and MS Exchange Server on ALL fronts, at
    >> > 1/5th the price, for TWICE the speed!

    >> My favorite book, "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment", gives
    >> equal time to Solaris, Apple OSX, FreeBSD, and Linux.
    >>
    >> That's all I need to know.
    >>
    >> And guess what? They all have slightly different features set that
    >> they support in their implementations of the "UNIX API".

    > Yes, and Apple's implementation will be the standard in the 10, 20 year
    > time frame.

    No, it won't.

    > Linux had a chance but didn't execute.

    Linux executes quite well.

    > OSX Server is now the king of business computing.

    No, it isn't.

    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/
    >
    >> Oh, your comparison of OSX to MS Exchange Server is extremely
    >> misinformed, as is the price and speed comparison to Linux. From what
    >> I've heard, Linux now has a very fast TCP/IP stack.
    >>
    >> Maybe you should be back to making a Web page, a blog, a digital
    >> painting, or something else more in line with your skillset.

    > I just know from history that Apple's OSX Server will become the
    > dominate platform for businesses worldwide.

    I just know you're an idiotic fanboi that scares more people away from OS
    X than recruits them.

    > Linux is 1/5th the sales of OSX Server or OSX Client, so Linux had a
    > shot but didn't organize in time. Now Apple owns the future of all
    > business computing.

    .... and how many free downloads/installs are there? How many multiple
    installs from sales?

    Bull****.

    > Nobody wants to use it unless they are forced.

    That may be true.

    > Those are facts.

    Uh, no.

    > So given some time OSX Server will be the light that helps many
    > companies move into the open source universe since Apple is the primary
    > champion of those goals.

    Let me know when I download the source to the pieces that lay on top of
    Darwin, manipulate them and re-distribute the source.

    > Have a happy day!

    When you are gone.

    (snip)
    --
    Rick

  12. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Oxford fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >> Apple's OSX now beats Linux and MS Exchange Server on ALL fronts, at
    >> 1/5th the price, for TWICE the speed!

    > My favorite book, "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment",
    > gives equal time to Solaris, Apple OSX, FreeBSD, and Linux.

    That's a fairly scary book. Hefty, too.

    > Maybe you should be back to making a Web page, a blog, a digital
    > painting, or something else more in line with your skillset.

    A development skills flame? How lame.

  13. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    > MS basically lost the Server race about 3 years ago when they couldn't
    > compete with Apple's OSX Server.

    Wha!?! You're kidding, right? Ridiculous. Who's running OSX server? Other
    than Apple?

    Lang

  14. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    Andy David {MVP} wrote:

    > Yea right. You want to help us poor uneducated admins.

    If you're "Windows Educated", you're a point-n-click-n-drool moron. You've
    paid silly amounts for worthless "qualifications":

    MCSE= "Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert"

    /Most/ of these "computer certifications" are entirely worthless - even most
    of the Unix, Novell and Cisco ones. There is /no/ substitute for real
    experience on proper operating systems in a real, working environment.
    Windows "experience" simply doesn't count in Banking, ISP, data
    warehousing, engineering, etc.

    C.

    --
    Windows- a poor proprietary client for a Unix world.

  15. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    Oxford wrote:

    > OSX Server is now the king of business computing.

    Don't be silly. I can't find /any/ Fortune 100 company using it. I can
    find many using the *LAMP* environment. Ever fewer are using MS
    software...

    C.

    --
    Windows- a poor proprietary client for a Unix world.

  16. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Oxford wrote:
    >>
    >> OSX Server is now the king of business computing.

    > Don't be silly. I can't find /any/ Fortune 100 company using it. I can
    > find many using the *LAMP* environment. Ever fewer are using MS
    > software...
    >
    > C.

    Naturally you don't see it "in the wild"

    Business people can (mostly) count. And if tehy add the sums, apple servers
    are way too expensive
    Nobody having all his marbles would be dumb enough to uses servers from a
    single source company with idiotic prices

    As usual, OxRetard, the typical mac user and fanboi, is unable to see the
    world as it is.
    --
    A fool-proof method for sculpting an elephant:
    first, get a huge block of marble; then you chip

  17. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Andy David {MVP} wrote:
    >
    >> Yea right. You want to help us poor uneducated admins.

    > If you're "Windows Educated", you're a point-n-click-n-drool moron.
    > You've paid silly amounts for worthless "qualifications":
    >
    > MCSE= "Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert"
    >
    > /Most/ of these "computer certifications" are entirely worthless - even
    > most
    > of the Unix, Novell and Cisco ones. There is /no/ substitute for real
    > experience on proper operating systems in a real, working environment.
    > Windows "experience" simply doesn't count in Banking, ISP, data
    > warehousing, engineering, etc.
    >
    > C.

    While that may be true, it does not change the fact that the typical Mac
    user OxRetard *again* posted his apple bull**** into non-relevant groups.
    The Ubuntu group he is spamming with his inane garbage is *not* an advocacy
    group. But these apple using cretins have no regards for proper behaviour.

    The fact that vermin like OxRetard give people reasons in abundance *not*
    ever to belong to these asshole apple users is probably way too complicated
    for those single cell brainiacs
    --
    Tact, n.:
    The unsaid part of what you're thinking.

  18. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    * Peter Köhlmann fired off this tart reply:

    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Oxford wrote:
    >>>
    >>> OSX Server is now the king of business computing.

    >> Don't be silly. I can't find /any/ Fortune 100 company using it. I can
    >> find many using the *LAMP* environment. Ever fewer are using MS
    >> software...

    > Naturally you don't see it "in the wild"
    >
    > Business people can (mostly) count. And if tehy add the sums, apple servers
    > are way too expensive
    >
    > Nobody having all his marbles would be dumb enough to uses servers from a
    > single source company with idiotic prices

    Yeah, that's why nobody buys Windows servers that need more attention
    than an incontinent senile great-grandmother, and integrated
    single-source single-vendor lock-in solutions like Sharepoint and
    Exchange.

    --
    Tux rox!

  19. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Peter Köhlmann fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Christopher Hunter wrote:

    >>> Don't be silly. I can't find /any/ Fortune 100 company using it. I can
    >>> find many using the *LAMP* environment. Ever fewer are using MS
    >>> software...

    >> Naturally you don't see it "in the wild"
    >>
    >> Business people can (mostly) count. And if tehy add the sums, apple
    >> servers are way too expensive
    >>
    >> Nobody having all his marbles would be dumb enough to uses servers from a
    >> single source company with idiotic prices

    > Yeah, that's why nobody buys Windows servers that need more attention
    > than an incontinent senile great-grandmother, and integrated
    > single-source single-vendor lock-in solutions like Sharepoint and
    > Exchange.

    I talk about hardware *and* software
    With windows, you have phenomenal choice in hardware.
    With linux, you can add choice in software to that (and even more choice in
    hardware)
    With apple servers, you have neither. But you get get the "extra" price on
    top of it

    No sysadmin having half a clue would chose apple servers

    But OxRetard, that so very typical Mac user and apple fanboi, tells us
    that "OSX Server is now the king of business computing".

    Snort
    --
    Only two things are infinite,
    the Universe and Stupidity.

  20. Re: Apple's OSX Leopard Gets First UNIX Certificate for BSD

    jerryeveretts wrote:

    > This is an interesting subject as I am right now in the process of
    > buying a new Unix server. I was really excited about getting an
    > Xserve. However, after doing all the research and getting quotes, I am
    > buying an IBM Pseries running AIX.
    >
    > Here is the reasons why.
    >
    > The prices are almost identical, and the service prices are almost
    > identical.

    Yes, yes...

    > However, IBM includes a very comprehensive telephone
    > support plan into it's service agreement,

    Only because their products aren't fully functional out of the box. They
    rely on you to pay their employees salaries since they don't go the
    extra mile to make a fully complete product. Apple does this, IBM does
    not, you've been duped.

    > whereas Apple charges up to
    > $50,000 for it's premier software support plan. Also Apple does not
    > employ the techs for it's on-site hardware maintenance, instead using
    > the same third party provider as Dell in my area, who are incidentally
    > completely incompetent.

    Untrue. Apple doesn't require $50,000, they do it for much less on a
    call per call basis, which you will rarely every use on an OSX based
    Server.

    And no, Apple doesn't have any connection to DeLL for their on site
    service. Two different universes.

    > IBM has a maintenance field office in my area with it's own techs. I
    > have also had experience with IBM support, and it is second to none, I
    > have even had them put parts on commercial airlines to get them to the
    > field tech within a couple of hours.

    Yes, so the bottom line is you are a victim of IBM's "support strategy"
    in which they provide you poorly designed products... then charge out
    the nose to make them work.

    Apple gives you a far better product up front, has far better support
    for free and you win every time. There is NO question that can't be
    answered here for free:

    http://discussions.apple.com/categor...categoryID=236

    But I think you are too old of a person to understand the modern methods
    Apple employs.

    They are ahead of everyone in the support arena. Xserves are your best
    bet if you want high quality hardware, very little need for support and
    a MUCH lower support cost.

    > As novel as it may seem, Apple doesn't really have the infrastructure
    > in place to support anything but the smallest of business'.

    Tell that to Walmart, Merck, Sun, Lawrence Livermore, Genetech. Apple is
    the KING of best of class products for the lowest price for the largest
    firms in the world. IBM has played second fiddle to Apple for years in
    the server space.

    It's just simply... there is a dying generation, the "jerry everetts"
    that wants to prop up a dying organization like IBM and/or Linux to make
    them feel worthy. But they forget they pay double / triple for the
    fountain of ego boost.

    The future of all servers is clearly here:

    http://www.apple.com/xserve/

    http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/

    (but only the most intelligent will understand the above links)

    -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast