[News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers - Linux ; Sony cuts fees for PS3 game developers ,----[ Quote ] | Monday's move follows last month's price cuts on the PS3 around the world, | and Sony has said that sales have improved in the U.S., Japan and Europe. The ...

  1. [News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers

    Sony cuts fees for PS3 game developers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Monday's move follows last month's price cuts on the PS3 around the world,
    | and Sony has said that sales have improved in the U.S., Japan and Europe. The
    | 80-gigabyte version PS3 now sells for about $499, down from $599.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071119/...an_playstation

    Some forums have recently been talking about hacks that give Linux access to
    the GPU.

    Related:

    Linux petitioners want Sony to open up PS3's graphical innards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Access is blocked by the Hypervisor chip so there is no chance of
    | getting around it without Sony's approval. And, naturally, Sony
    | doesn't want geeks producing 3D games under Linux and undermining
    | its investment. It flogs the console in order to make mountains of
    | wonga on the highly-priced games folk play on it.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | So now there's a a petition online asking Sony to open up the RSX.
    | It's here.
    `----

    Sony Studies Commercial PlayStation 3 Supercomputing Grid

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070412/tc_cmp/199000285

    Cure@PS3 Performance Update

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Not even a full day after the release of the Folding@Home
    | client for the Playstation 3, the total computing power of
    | a mere 6,860 Playstation 3 systems has surpassed that of
    | a vast 158,806 Windows computers!
    `----

    http://clete2.com/2007/03/23/folding...status-report/

    PS3 Real-time Ray-tracing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | IBM Interactive Ray-tracer (iRT) using three Sony Playstation3s (PS3)
    | to render a model that is 75x more complex then those used in
    | today's games.
    `----

    http://www.n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-33982.aspx

    PS3 Yellow Dog Linux Install Videos

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Due to the demand on the PS3 forums I am making some install videos of
    | Yellow Dog Linux. Sorry about the slightly shaky footage, since I was
    | installing and holding the camera at the same time.
    `----

    http://fatpenguinblog.com/?p=798

  2. Re: [News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Sony cuts fees for PS3 game developers
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Monday's move follows last month's price cuts on the PS3 around the world,
    >| and Sony has said that sales have improved in the U.S., Japan and Europe. The
    >| 80-gigabyte version PS3 now sells for about $499, down from $599.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071119/...an_playstation
    >
    > Some forums have recently been talking about hacks that give Linux access to
    > the GPU.

    It's inevitable, and in the end, will benefit both Sony and their PS3,
    as well as users generally.

  3. Re: [News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Sony cuts fees for PS3 game developers
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Monday's move follows last month's price cuts on the PS3 around the
    >>| world, and Sony has said that sales have improved in the U.S., Japan and
    >>| Europe. The 80-gigabyte version PS3 now sells for about $499, down from
    >>| $599.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071119/...an_playstation
    >>
    >> Some forums have recently been talking about hacks that give Linux access
    >> to the GPU.
    >>

    > It's inevitable, and in the end, will benefit both Sony and their PS3,
    > as well as users generally.

    I agree with you, but I really, really hope Sony does the right thing and
    open up the hardware before it's hacked open. It would lend an air of
    anointment from the originator (Sony).

    Cheers...

    Imagine someday running Quake Team Arena III natively on the PS3? Simply
    awesome and my son, his friends and me would invest heavily in the PS3
    platform. Right now though, it's still a curiosity to us.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  4. Re: [News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers

    ____/ Jerry McBride on Wednesday 21 November 2007 00:37 : \____

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Sony cuts fees for PS3 game developers
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071119/...an_playstation
    >>>
    >>> Some forums have recently been talking about hacks that give Linux access
    >>> to the GPU.
    >>>

    >> It's inevitable, and in the end, will benefit both Sony and their PS3,
    >> as well as users generally.
    >>

    > I agree with you, but I really, really hope Sony does the right thing and
    > open up the hardware before it's hacked open. It would lend an air of
    > anointment from the originator (Sony).
    >

    > Cheers...
    >
    > Imagine someday running Quake Team Arena III natively on the PS3? Simply
    > awesome and my son, his friends and me would invest heavily in the PS3
    > platform. Right now though, it's still a curiosity to us.

    I don't think they'll do it any time soon. Linux gamers would 'steal' these
    machines as soon as they reach the shelves. Ypu're taking about super-powerful
    machines with a Blu-Ray drive (home cinema equipment) that Sony sells at a
    loss. They are assuming that you would buy games and other stuff, such as
    services. To an extent, the same goes for XBox|360, but there's not even an
    HDDVD drive.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | if ("if"=inv("fi")) print("foo/bar")
    run-level 2 2007-10-30 19:49 last=

  5. Re: [News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Jerry McBride on Wednesday 21 November 2007 00:37 : \____
    >
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> It's inevitable, and in the end, will benefit both Sony and their PS3,
    >>> as well as users generally.
    >>>

    >> I agree with you, but I really, really hope Sony does the right thing and
    >> open up the hardware before it's hacked open. It would lend an air of
    >> anointment from the originator (Sony).
    >>

    >> Cheers...
    >>
    >> Imagine someday running Quake Team Arena III natively on the PS3? Simply
    >> awesome and my son, his friends and me would invest heavily in the PS3
    >> platform. Right now though, it's still a curiosity to us.

    > I don't think they'll do it any time soon. Linux gamers would 'steal' these
    > machines as soon as they reach the shelves. Ypu're taking about super-powerful
    > machines with a Blu-Ray drive (home cinema equipment) that Sony sells at a
    > loss. They are assuming that you would buy games and other stuff, such as
    > services. To an extent, the same goes for XBox|360, but there's not even an
    > HDDVD drive.

    Don't forget how production economics works. There is a break-even
    point, and then there will be a profit point. Further, don't forget
    about how people buy, too. Early buyers will always pay more than later
    ones.

    It's possible that Microsoft just got the economics wrong for XBox, of
    course.

  6. Re: [News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 21 November 2007 08:23 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>

    >> ____/ Jerry McBride on Wednesday 21 November 2007 00:37 : \____

    >>> I agree with you, but I really, really hope Sony does the right thing and
    >>> open up the hardware before it's hacked open. It would lend an air of
    >>> anointment from the originator (Sony).
    >>>

    >>> Cheers...
    >>>
    >>> Imagine someday running Quake Team Arena III natively on the PS3? Simply
    >>> awesome and my son, his friends and me would invest heavily in the PS3
    >>> platform. Right now though, it's still a curiosity to us.

    >> I don't think they'll do it any time soon. Linux gamers would 'steal' these
    >> machines as soon as they reach the shelves. Ypu're taking about
    >> super-powerful machines with a Blu-Ray drive (home cinema equipment) that
    >> Sony sells at a loss. They are assuming that you would buy games and other
    >> stuff, such as services. To an extent, the same goes for XBox|360, but
    >> there's not even an HDDVD drive.
    >>

    > Don't forget how production economics works. There is a break-even
    > point, and then there will be a profit point. Further, don't forget
    > about how people buy, too. Early buyers will always pay more than later
    > ones.
    >
    > It's possible that Microsoft just got the economics wrong for XBox, of
    > course.

    That's what an analyst said just 10 days ago:

    Killing Off the Original Xbox: A Big Microsoft Mistake

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://seekingalpha.com/article/5361...e?source=yahoo

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish
    session
    Swap: 1510068k total, 522872k used, 987196k free, 34340k cached

  7. Re: [News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 21 November 2007 08:23 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>>

    >>> ____/ Jerry McBride on Wednesday 21 November 2007 00:37 : \____

    >>> I don't think they'll do it any time soon. Linux gamers would 'steal' these
    >>> machines as soon as they reach the shelves. Ypu're taking about
    >>> super-powerful machines with a Blu-Ray drive (home cinema equipment) that
    >>> Sony sells at a loss. They are assuming that you would buy games and other
    >>> stuff, such as services. To an extent, the same goes for XBox|360, but
    >>> there's not even an HDDVD drive.
    >>>

    >> Don't forget how production economics works. There is a break-even
    >> point, and then there will be a profit point. Further, don't forget
    >> about how people buy, too. Early buyers will always pay more than later
    >> ones.
    >>
    >> It's possible that Microsoft just got the economics wrong for XBox, of
    >> course.

    > That's what an analyst said just 10 days ago:
    >
    > Killing Off the Original Xbox: A Big Microsoft Mistake
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Now Microsoft (MSFT) introduced the Xbox in November 2001 and deliberately
    >| brought out their next machine, the 360, just four years later, in November
    >| 2005, so as to be first to market with the next generation. They kept the two
    >| models as a range for just one year, killing off the original Xbox in
    >| November 2006 when it was just five years old.
    > `----
    >
    > http://seekingalpha.com/article/5361...e?source=yahoo

    It seems odd that they would kill off the older machine if it were still
    selling. Inexperience, perhaps?

  8. Re: [News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers

    Mark Kent wrote:

    ---snip---

    > It seems odd that they would kill off the older machine if it were still
    > selling. Inexperience, perhaps?

    You are being too nice. This is Microsoft.. the worlds stupidest monopoly...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

+ Reply to Thread