Kid wants Windows -- and gets it - Linux

This is a discussion on Kid wants Windows -- and gets it - Linux ; Some time ago, one of my users asked me if I could set up a Windows partition, because their 14-y/o son wanted to play the same games he saw at his friends' house. I told him that I could stick ...

  1. Kid wants Windows -- and gets it

    Some time ago, one of my users asked me if I could set up a Windows
    partition, because their 14-y/o son wanted to play the same games he saw at
    his friends' house.
    I told him that I could stick in an extra HD for Windows, but that I
    wouldn't have anything to do with Windows itself. So he got a friendly
    neighbour to install a copy of XP, after which I only had to reinstall the
    boot loader in order to restore access to the Linux partitions.

    And after two months, I was called in again to restore the boot loader once
    again. XP had crapped out, and according to the friendly neighbour,
    reinstalling it was the only option left. And last week, they called once
    more, with more Windows trouble.

    Turned out that in the six months with Windows, a full week of work or so
    and several hundreds of dollars had been spent on installing Windows and
    games, and on attempts to keep it running -- and still they failed.

    Of course, the kid and his friends were blamed for this: they shouldn't send
    each other "jokes" through MSN, they shouldn't just install anything and
    everything they come across, the shouldn't disable antivirus and the likes,
    even if it's recommended in the game's manual, they should always be wary
    about what they click on, they shouldn't do this and should do that ...

    One "problem" here is that this kid was used to Linux -- which perhaps took
    an hour or so per year to keep running smoothly, without any need for
    antivirus and other crapware protection measures, and which offered an
    equally simple as safe way to install software from trusted sources. He
    could do whatever he wanted, without having to worry about anything.

    His parents told him that if he wanted to continue running Windows for his
    games, he was on his own. And yes, he actually reinstalled everything from
    scratch once again (including the Linux boot loader, for which I gave him a
    copy of the Mandriva DVD plus a simple HOWTO) -- but I heard he asked a
    game console for Christmas, so that he wouldn't need Windows any more to
    play his favourite games :-)

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  2. Re: Kid wants Windows -- and gets it

    ____/ Richard Rasker on Monday 19 November 2007 11:55 : \____

    > Some time ago, one of my users asked me if I could set up a Windows
    > partition, because their 14-y/o son wanted to play the same games he saw at
    > his friends' house.
    > I told him that I could stick in an extra HD for Windows, but that I
    > wouldn't have anything to do with Windows itself. So he got a friendly
    > neighbour to install a copy of XP, after which I only had to reinstall the
    > boot loader in order to restore access to the Linux partitions.
    >
    > And after two months, I was called in again to restore the boot loader once
    > again. XP had crapped out, and according to the friendly neighbour,
    > reinstalling it was the only option left. And last week, they called once
    > more, with more Windows trouble.
    >
    > Turned out that in the six months with Windows, a full week of work or so
    > and several hundreds of dollars had been spent on installing Windows and
    > games, and on attempts to keep it running -- and still they failed.
    >
    > Of course, the kid and his friends were blamed for this: they shouldn't send
    > each other "jokes" through MSN, they shouldn't just install anything and
    > everything they come across, the shouldn't disable antivirus and the likes,
    > even if it's recommended in the game's manual, they should always be wary
    > about what they click on, they shouldn't do this and should do that ...
    >
    > One "problem" here is that this kid was used to Linux -- which perhaps took
    > an hour or so per year to keep running smoothly, without any need for
    > antivirus and other crapware protection measures, and which offered an
    > equally simple as safe way to install software from trusted sources. He
    > could do whatever he wanted, without having to worry about anything.
    >
    > His parents told him that if he wanted to continue running Windows for his
    > games, he was on his own. And yes, he actually reinstalled everything from
    > scratch once again (including the Linux boot loader, for which I gave him a
    > copy of the Mandriva DVD plus a simple HOWTO) -- but I heard he asked a
    > game console for Christmas, so that he wouldn't need Windows any more to
    > play his favourite games :-)
    >
    > Richard Rasker

    Letting Linux children meet the world of Windows is akin to letting an animal
    that grew up in a cage (or spoiled in a home) be out in the wild.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Steve Ballmer is even monkier than his moniker suggests
    Tasks: 132 total, 1 running, 129 sleeping, 1 stopped, 1 zombie

  3. Re: Kid wants Windows -- and gets it

    Roy Schestowitz schrieb:

    > Letting Linux children meet the world of Windows is akin to letting an
    > animal that grew up in a cage (or spoiled in a home) be out in the wild.

    Really? I always thought it was the other way around.

    Kind regards

    Jan

  4. PS: "Developers, Developers, ARGH, trample!" (nt)

    nt

  5. Re: Kid wants Windows -- and gets it

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    > Some time ago, one of my users asked me if I could set up a Windows
    > partition, because their 14-y/o son wanted to play the same games he saw
    > at his friends' house.
    > I told him that I could stick in an extra HD for Windows, but that I
    > wouldn't have anything to do with Windows itself. So he got a friendly
    > neighbour to install a copy of XP, after which I only had to reinstall the
    > boot loader in order to restore access to the Linux partitions.
    >
    > And after two months, I was called in again to restore the boot loader
    > once again. XP had crapped out, and according to the friendly neighbour,
    > reinstalling it was the only option left. And last week, they called once
    > more, with more Windows trouble.
    >
    > Turned out that in the six months with Windows, a full week of work or so
    > and several hundreds of dollars had been spent on installing Windows and
    > games, and on attempts to keep it running -- and still they failed.
    >
    > Of course, the kid and his friends were blamed for this: they shouldn't
    > send each other "jokes" through MSN, they shouldn't just install anything
    > and everything they come across, the shouldn't disable antivirus and the
    > likes, even if it's recommended in the game's manual, they should always
    > be wary about what they click on, they shouldn't do this and should do
    > that ...
    >
    > One "problem" here is that this kid was used to Linux -- which perhaps
    > took an hour or so per year to keep running smoothly, without any need for
    > antivirus and other crapware protection measures, and which offered an
    > equally simple as safe way to install software from trusted sources. He
    > could do whatever he wanted, without having to worry about anything.
    >
    > His parents told him that if he wanted to continue running Windows for his
    > games, he was on his own. And yes, he actually reinstalled everything from
    > scratch once again (including the Linux boot loader, for which I gave him
    > a copy of the Mandriva DVD plus a simple HOWTO) -- but I heard he asked a
    > game console for Christmas, so that he wouldn't need Windows any more to
    > play his favourite games :-)
    >
    > Richard Rasker

    Nice bit of advocacy, and I thought windows TCO was less than Linux.

    Jem..

  6. Re: Kid wants Windows -- and gets it

    On 2007-11-19, Richard Rasker claimed:

    > Some time ago, one of my users asked me if I could set up a Windows
    > partition, because their 14-y/o son wanted to play the same games he saw at
    > his friends' house.
    > I told him that I could stick in an extra HD for Windows, but that I
    > wouldn't have anything to do with Windows itself. So he got a friendly
    > neighbour to install a copy of XP, after which I only had to reinstall the
    > boot loader in order to restore access to the Linux partitions.
    >
    > And after two months, I was called in again to restore the boot loader once
    > again. XP had crapped out,

    > Turned out that in the six months with Windows, a full week of work or so
    > and several hundreds of dollars had been spent on installing Windows and
    > games, and on attempts to keep it running -- and still they failed.

    > His parents told him that if he wanted to continue running Windows for his
    > games, he was on his own. And yes, he actually reinstalled everything from
    > scratch once again (including the Linux boot loader, for which I gave him a
    > copy of the Mandriva DVD plus a simple HOWTO) -- but I heard he asked a
    > game console for Christmas, so that he wouldn't need Windows any more to
    > play his favourite games :-)

    I had/have a similar situation.

    A few years ago I set up a machine for my then 4-year-old son. It had
    Windows and linux on it. We bought some learning software to put on the
    Winders side of things. He was supposed to spend some time on Windows
    for the software. I taught him how to boot back and forth and hoped
    that was it (despite past experiences telling me that was a fool's
    quest).

    Naturally, I spent a lot of time fixing the proprietary side of things.
    Stuff stopped working. Software would fail to run. Devices (usually
    sound) would crap out. He wasn't even connected to the network, so he
    wasn't catching little baddies fromhis friends. It was just Winders
    screwing up. I was getting tired of messing with it. But I had to
    keep it going for the software we bought.

    I wasn't the only one having to deal with the problems, though. The
    formidable Mrs. Midget also had to screw around with things trying to
    get it to work. I came home from work a lot of days with her in a
    pleasant mood, telling me what she'd had to endure. And I would spend
    a few minute to hours getting things going again. Sometimes the only
    recourse that existed to make it all OK again in this lifetime was to
    reinstall.

    The boy was smarter than either of us (meaning her). He wanted to spend
    his time with linux. He liked the games and it didn't give him
    problems. But he had to use Windows because (he was forced to) the
    software he he was supposed to be using to learn ran on that, not linux
    (I tried with wine).

    One day I came home and I was told to get rid of Windows (yay!!!!). It
    was a matter of getting it to run on linux or get was going to get a
    Mac. He ended up with the Mac because it runs most of the same software
    that he had on Windows.

    Well, now he's in school. His tastes and level of learning is above
    Reader Rabbit now. He goes to his friends' houses and sees the games
    they have. He's frustrated that he can't play the same games on his
    Mac. He asked me several times why he can't have Windows. I reminded
    him that he used to have it. (It also helps that the kids have problems
    with it at school and has to be repaired.) Then he stopped being mad
    that he doesn't have Windows, he's mad because the vendors aren't
    making the games Mac-compatible. He /really/ wants linux back, too.

    Well, this story is long enough. He wants a Wii. I knew that was
    coming. I was worried he'd ask for a yechs-botch, but he sees a friend
    of his having problems with his. And he was dead set against it when he
    found out that it's made by the same people who gave him the Windows
    software that gave him so much trouble.

    He doesn't mind Mac. But he wants linux back. He wants the Wii so he
    can avoid going down the Windows road ever again. Maybe now is a good
    time for him to learn about how to dual-boot Mac, too.

    --
    Keeping freedom safe from democracy.

  7. Re: Kid wants Windows -- and gets it

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:42:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Letting Linux children meet the world of Windows is akin to letting an animal
    > that grew up in a cage (or spoiled in a home) be out in the wild.

    I would think it'd be more like a feral animal now caged.

    Windows being the cage. Linux being the wild (and thus, free)

  8. Re: Kid wants Windows -- and gets it

    ____/ Jan Kandziora on Monday 19 November 2007 14:56 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz schrieb:
    >>
    >> Letting Linux children meet the world of Windows is akin to letting an
    >> animal that grew up in a cage (or spoiled in a home) be out in the wild.
    >>

    > Really? I always thought it was the other way around.

    Yeah, I had seconds thoughts about this after I wrote this, which is why added
    (in brackets) "or spoiled in a home."

    Let's assume that the wild is very, very wild.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Modern man is the missing link between Neanderthals and the civilised man

  9. Re: Kid wants Windows -- and gets it

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > He doesn't mind Mac. But he wants linux back. He wants the Wii so he
    > can avoid going down the Windows road ever again. Maybe now is a good
    > time for him to learn about how to dual-boot Mac, too.

    Of course the other alternative of a playstation 3 would run Linux as well
    as the games (although I guess kind of pointless if he already has a decent
    Linux PC) ;-)

  10. Re: Kid wants Windows -- and gets it

    On 2007-11-21, Nigel Feltham claimed:
    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> He doesn't mind Mac. But he wants linux back. He wants the Wii so he
    >> can avoid going down the Windows road ever again. Maybe now is a good
    >> time for him to learn about how to dual-boot Mac, too.

    > Of course the other alternative of a playstation 3 would run Linux as well
    > as the games (although I guess kind of pointless if he already has a decent
    > Linux PC) ;-)

    I thought of that. But I'd be the one tinkering with it, not him.
    Besides, he asked for a Wii. I didn't realize he had a friend having
    problems, and I was concerned it would be the MS crappy product. So
    when he said Wii I told him that's what he'd get.

    Maybe I could justify /2/ PS3s. But he'd still have to have the Mac or
    the lovely and gracious Mrs. Midget would object.

    --
    I've worked in the private sector. They expect results.

  11. Re: Kid wants Windows -- and gets it

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2007-11-21, Nigel Feltham claimed:
    >> Sinister Midget wrote:
    >>
    >>> He doesn't mind Mac. But he wants linux back. He wants the Wii so he
    >>> can avoid going down the Windows road ever again. Maybe now is a good
    >>> time for him to learn about how to dual-boot Mac, too.

    >> Of course the other alternative of a playstation 3 would run Linux as
    >> well as the games (although I guess kind of pointless if he already has a
    >> decent Linux PC) ;-)

    > I thought of that. But I'd be the one tinkering with it, not him.
    > Besides, he asked for a Wii. I didn't realize he had a friend having
    > problems, and I was concerned it would be the MS crappy product. So
    > when he said Wii I told him that's what he'd get.
    >
    > Maybe I could justify /2/ PS3s. But he'd still have to have the Mac or
    > the lovely and gracious Mrs. Midget would object.

    I wonder - if the wii uses a similar CPU to the PS3 and the 360 and both of
    these can run linux then maybe ....

+ Reply to Thread