A cgi server that can be run from a /home/dir ? - Linux

This is a discussion on A cgi server that can be run from a /home/dir ? - Linux ; Hi. My situation. I bought 6 months worth of service from a unix shell provider. Part of the deal was that that the public_html/ dir in the shell would be cgi-enabled, but they haven't followed through on the deal. I've ...

  1. A cgi server that can be run from a /home/dir ?

    Hi.

    My situation. I bought 6 months worth of service from a unix shell
    provider. Part of the deal was that that the public_html/ dir in the shell
    would be cgi-enabled, but they haven't followed through on the deal. I've
    chatted with admin dude on irc, and he keeps trying to get the directory
    cgi enabled ... but he never seems to get it together.

    I don't want to hassle them too much, because they tolerate alot from me
    already, above and beyond what's permitted by the Terms Of Service. But
    .... I really would like cgi.

    So, I was hoping to find a small, portable cgi server I can install in my
    shell all by myself. Presuming it leaves a really small cpu/ram footprint,
    hopefully I can negotiate with the admin dude that he should allow me to
    do that, given that he has failed to live up to his part of the deal.

    Any recommendations?

  2. Re: A cgi server that can be run from a /home/dir ?

    On 2005-04-28, censored wrote:
    > So, I was hoping to find a small, portable cgi server I can install in my

    There is no such thing as a 'small,portable cgi server'. Cgis are
    executed by the web server following the directives that the sysadmin
    define.

    Davide

    --
    NASA uses Windows? Oh great. If Apollo 13 went off course today the manual
    would just tell them to open the airlock, flush the astronauts out, and

  3. Re: A cgi server that can be run from a /home/dir ?

    Have the admin email me, for $40 I'll turn it on ;-).

    It shouldn't be *that* hard to be honest. Setting up CGI under a web server has
    been part of the base functionality since the WWW came on the scene. If you can
    do it politely, suggest he check the docs for the server. Even the apache ones
    aren't overly technical.

    Davide Bianchi wrote:
    > On 2005-04-28, censored wrote:
    >
    >>So, I was hoping to find a small, portable cgi server I can install in my

    > There is no such thing as a 'small,portable cgi server'. Cgis are
    > executed by the web server following the directives that the sysadmin
    > define.
    >
    > Davide

  4. Re: A cgi server that can be run from a /home/dir ?

    In comp.os.linux.misc, on Thursday 28 April 2005 12:09, Todd Blake
    wrote:

    > Have the admin email me, for $40 I'll turn it on ;-).

    And how much do you charge to respect the conventions in a
    newsgroup?
    --
    Robert HULL If it's there and you can see it - it's real
    If it's there and you can't see it - it's transparent

  5. Re: A cgi server that can be run from a /home/dir ?

    In comp.os.linux.misc censored :
    > Hi.

    > My situation. I bought 6 months worth of service from a unix shell
    > provider. Part of the deal was that that the public_html/ dir in the shell
    > would be cgi-enabled, but they haven't followed through on the deal. I've
    > chatted with admin dude on irc, and he keeps trying to get the directory
    > cgi enabled ... but he never seems to get it together.

    > I don't want to hassle them too much, because they tolerate alot from me
    > already, above and beyond what's permitted by the Terms Of Service. But
    > ... I really would like cgi.

    > So, I was hoping to find a small, portable cgi server I can install in my
    > shell all by myself. Presuming it leaves a really small cpu/ram footprint,
    > hopefully I can negotiate with the admin dude that he should allow me to
    > do that, given that he has failed to live up to his part of the deal.

    > Any recommendations?

    Sounds remotely like FAQ:

    13. How do I allow each of my user directories to have a cgi-bin
    directory?

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ-F.html#user-cgi

    For security reasons and to ease up things for people using their
    own .cgi, I'd setup apache suEXEC support in addition, which
    might not be available in some distro apache packages without
    recompile.

    Good luck

    BTW
    Looks to me as if you'd qualify better to mangle the above in
    something more polite.

    #bofh excuse 183: filesystem not big enough for Jumbo Kernel
    Patch

  6. Re: A cgi server that can be run from a /home/dir ?

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:09:01 -0400, Todd Blake
    wrote:

    >Have the admin email me, for $40 I'll turn it on ;-).
    >
    >It shouldn't be *that* hard to be honest. Setting up CGI under a web server has
    >been part of the base functionality since the WWW came on the scene. If you can
    >do it politely, suggest he check the docs for the server. Even the apache ones
    >aren't overly technical.
    >
    >Davide Bianchi wrote:
    >> On 2005-04-28, censored wrote:
    >>
    >>>So, I was hoping to find a small, portable cgi server I can install in my

    If you want a "mini-httpd server" go to http://freshmeat.net and search
    for "httpd"

    I like Cherokee, and Monkey serves CGI fairly well.

    http://zentara.net/japh.html

+ Reply to Thread