Open Source, sans the risk

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent survey has shown that 52 per cent of software companies are using
| open source. The percentage is rising despite the potential risk associated
| with it. The increasing trend may be attributed to: The source code is
| available readily and in certain cases without any cost or with an attractive
| price tag. Companies can modify the source code for the
| deliverable/derivative works as required.
|
| The deliverable/derivative works is dependent on various factors and not on a
| single entity.
|
| No `Hidden treasures' or `black boxes' are possible. The modified versions
| can be used as the code base and new projects can be built on top of it.
|
| Little or no support is required for the maintenance.
|
| Low cost of production of deliverables and increased profitability for the
| software company.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...1950090301.htm

There's increased use of GNU/Linux on Indian desktops as well (see links
below)...

Related:

$100 laptop program still eyes India

,----[ Quote ]
| The so-called $100 laptops for children may make it to India after all.
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/1....ap/index.html

PC resellers strike against Microsoft in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Stop harassment over piracy or we move to Linux...
|
| [...]
|
| "We have been approached by dealers in other states who are also
| being harassed by Microsoft," Randeri said. "If Microsoft does
| not cooperate, we will tell our dealers to migrate to Linux."
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/manag...fm?newsid=3114

Indian dealers are squealers over Microsoft piracy raids

,----[ Quote ]
| The resellers have also planned boycotts against Microsoft.
| Those participating in the strike agreed to stop all purchases
| of Microsoft products for this quarter.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...est_microsoft/

Intensified Battle Lines

,----[ Quote ]
| Some years back Open Source Industry Australia (OSIA) spokesperson
| Steven D'Aprano had posed a most intriguing question, "If Microsoft
| has a problem with piracy, it shouldn't be blamed on OEMs who sell
| PCs with Linux pre-installed or no operating system at all. Should
| we discourage supermarkets from selling plain bread, because
| shoppers might steal butter from elsewhere?"
|
| [...]
|
| For long now a tag has been associated with Linux. Industry players
| and resellers say Linux has become a smart, official, cheap and
| convenient form of piracy. The charge, is however, outrightly
| rejected by the Linux vendors.
|
| At their end, open source vendors will not miss an opportunity to
| assert that anyone who has benefited out of piracy is the
| proprietary vendors, like Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| Partners are already moving close to Linux vendors for various
| reasons. The days to come will, therefore, offer interesting
| battle lines unfolding between MS and open source players.
`----

http://www.channeltimes.com/India/Co...80562-751.html
http://tinyurl.com/37n6do

Linux becoming visible on desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| The Penguin (named Tux) is finally making inroads as an operating system (OS)
| on desktops too. While it has an over 20 per cent market share when we speak
| of servers in India, the free OS called Linux has just around 5 per cent
| market share in the country when it comes to desktops – the lion’s share
| going to Microsoft Windows. * *
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/com...Left=0&chkFlg=

Delhi VAR Evolves Training Capsule for Linux Usage

,----[ Quote ]
| He said Linux is the 'perfect match' for India's requirement and hastened to
| add that having developed the products and services, the challenge now is to
| take it to growing number of users and growing the incoming revenue. *
`----

http://www.channeltimes.com/India/Ne...83436-741.html
http://tinyurl.com/3x9972

Open Source and the SMB