Highmem Extremely Slow on >= 2.6 - Linux

This is a discussion on Highmem Extremely Slow on >= 2.6 - Linux ; I'm having a peculiar problem with highmem and 2.6. To help with resolution, I have 4 gigabytes of PC3200 RAM from Crucial on an ASUS P4C800 motherboard, using a Pentium 4 3.2C for a processor. The RAM tests fine running ...

  1. Highmem Extremely Slow on >= 2.6

    I'm having a peculiar problem with highmem and 2.6. To help with
    resolution, I have 4 gigabytes of PC3200 RAM from Crucial on an ASUS
    P4C800 motherboard, using a Pentium 4 3.2C for a processor. The RAM
    tests fine running memtest86 from 2.4.30. I'm running Slackware Linux
    10.1, and I'm only having problems with the 2.6 branch.

    Every single .config I have tried results in an excruciatingly slow
    boot, followed by slow responses by virtually all programs. Disable
    highmem support, and it works speedily. I have not attempted to use the
    latest prepatch, however.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    -Joshua Gao

  2. Re: Highmem Extremely Slow on >= 2.6

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 02:38:03 GMT, Joshua Gao
    wrote:

    >I'm having a peculiar problem with highmem and 2.6. To help with
    >resolution, I have 4 gigabytes of PC3200 RAM from Crucial on an ASUS
    >P4C800 motherboard, using a Pentium 4 3.2C for a processor. The RAM
    >tests fine running memtest86 from 2.4.30. I'm running Slackware Linux
    >10.1, and I'm only having problems with the 2.6 branch.
    >
    >Every single .config I have tried results in an excruciatingly slow
    >boot, followed by slow responses by virtually all programs. Disable
    >highmem support, and it works speedily. I have not attempted to use the
    >latest prepatch, however.
    >
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated
    >
    >-Joshua Gao

    Check how much L2 cache ram you have on the motherboard. Typically,
    if you have enough to cache half of the main ram, that half will be
    fast and the other half will be incredibly slow. I've got a bunch of
    P4B800s and have no such problem, but have never used the P4C.

    Mike-

    --
    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.
    --

    Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed site-wide spam
    filters at catherders.com. If email from you bounces, try non-HTML, non-encoded,